The overreaction toward McDermott from the media is why football coaches are so conservative

Wayne Arnold

The odd crucifixion of Sean McDermott by the media simply because he decided to try something different by seeing if a rookie QB could spark the offense is strange to me...but far from surprising. 

I'm always on football coaches (especially in the NFL) for being too conservative. I call most of them gutless meatheads because they ignore analytics when they punt on 4th and 2 from the opponent's 39 yard line.

But it's obvious why they are the way they are.

Because football coaches are much more likely to be ridiculed when they go for it and don't convert than they are when they punt.

Coaches who take risks put themselves out there. And are blasted when that risk doesn't work out. Meanwhile, the coaches who never take risks are able to skate by with little attention. Sure, they'll rarely succeed...but they at least keep their jobs and collect a paycheck for a while before getting fired.

And I'm sick of people treating the quarterback position like something sacred. As if replacing the starting QB for a game (or even just a half) is some sort of travesty like the coach is destroying the sanctity of football by doing it. It's one position. If the QB plays poorly then the next guy should be given a chance. Who cares?

Say what you want about McDermott - but I applaud him for his willingness to try something to turn around an anemic offense. It didn't work and it was wrong.

McDermott went for it and the conversion failed.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

If McDermott is making any decisions based on the reaction of the media, he should be fired now.  And making a decision isn't enough in the NFL.  Coaches who make good decisions are praised and have long careers.  Coaches who make bad decisions get criticized and eventually fired. 

McDermott is on run of bad decisions, and he's being justifiably criticized.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The odd crucifixion of Sean McDermott by the media simply because he decided to try something different by seeing if a rookie QB could spark the offense is strange to me...but far from surprising. 

I'm always on football coaches (especially in the NFL) for being too conservative. I call most of them gutless meatheads because they ignore analytics when they punt on 4th and 2 from the opponent's 39 yard line.

Because football coaches are much more likely to be ridiculed when they go for it and don't convert than they are when they punt.

Coaches who take risks put themselves out there. And are blasted when that risk doesn't work out. Meanwhile, the coaches who never take risks are able to skate by with little attention. Sure, they'll rarely succeed...but they at least keep their jobs and collect a paycheck for a while before getting fired.

And I'm sick of people treating the quarterback position like something sacred. As if replacing the starting QB for a game (or even just a half) is some sort of travesty like the coach is destroying the sanctity of football by doing it. It's one position. If the QB plays poorly then the next guy should be given a chance. Who cares?

Say what you want about McDermott - but I applaud him for his willingness to try something to turn around an anemic offense. It didn't work and it was wrong.

Terrible read with his rookie QB not looking anywhere close competent despite his proclamation that he was "ready".  He deserves to be roasted.  

• Like (+1) 3

I'm somewhat of a TT fan but I didn't mind the switch for the game. I think they needed a change. It didn't work out of course.

The problem I have with McDermott is his defence. Isn't this guy supposed to be a defensive coach?? 

Bottom 10 defence in the league... Way to fix Rex's mess there bud

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It's a great point and I agree completely . It's a big part of the reason why I supported the move while surprised at the same time. It was thinking outside the box, and made sense vs Tyrods former OC in a small stadium with little fan support. The media criticize coaches for being conservative then lambaste them when they aren't. Mike Schopp is always criticizing NFL coaches for their conservatism, yet was adamantly against this move. Why? Taylor had struggled and teams were keeping him in the pocket. Lynn was likely to do the same as he is familiar with Taylor's abilities and flaws. This venue was really the only one the schedule might allow while the playoffs are still possible. The Colts game might have been too late.  Tyrod can jump start his career next Sunday as there is no way McD goes with Peterman there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Uh... the reaction isn't odd, and like it or not, the media... especially the national media that you guys hate, were right. Everyone who called this a dumb move was right.

It's not an odd crucifixion, the decision was odd. And shown to be. McDermott may have made one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen, and we've all seen a lot as Bills fans. The difference is this isn't a heat of the moment decision, he said he thought about it and slept on it. 

I'm all for being aggressive and going on it on 4th down but this wasn't that, this was just stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Terrible read with his rookie QB not looking anywhere close competent despite his proclamation that he was "ready".  He deserves to be roasted.  

That's what I keep wondering, what in the world were McD & Dennison seeing out Peterman to think he would be a spark? 

This has nothing to do with aggressiveness, scheme improvement, "better for the team", blah blah blah. 

That was a terrible decision that they should correct ASAP. Keep playing TT. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

14 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

This is my favorite take on the last week of Bills football.

We're getting killed out there and the coach tried to shake it up rather than take his team to the slaughterhouse.

• Like (+1) 2

I hate, hate the sports media.  Bunch of dorks who got bullied by jocks in high school and now get to get revenge through the safety of a computer screen.

but they are 100% right and he should be killed. It was a brain dead move. Just like trading Dareus. It's one thing if you spent a 1st on a guy.  But it was a 5th rounder who was ok against guys out of the NFL in preseason.

Just another dumb move by SM.  

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He looked pretty competent until our fullback let a ball go through his hands and into the arms of a defender. He shouldn't have thrown the second pick but it didn't result in anything worse than punting from the 1. The third pick was Jordan Mills being Jordan Mills. The fourth pick he was run into by Shady as he was throwing. By the fifth pick he was shell-shocked.

A mixture of bad luck, terrible teammates, and inexperience. Should the coaching staff have seen that coming? Debatable. 

1 minute ago, fridge said:

This is my favorite take on the last week of Bills football.

We're getting killed out there and the coach tried to shake it up rather than take his team to the slaughterhouse.

weird. that's exactly what his decision did.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree in general with how dumb football people are. They are always the last people to adapt. The league is full of Gronks and not Theo Epstein’s. We have so much information now that ignoring it is criminal.

In in this case though he got crushed because of the timing. The Bills were the 5 seed with a win. I think everyone believes that Tyrod gives them the best chance to win. If it wasn’t clear to some, it is abundantly clear now. McDermott took the heat because they were a playoff team and made a ridiculous decision. It didn’t work and the football people don’t seem surprised. There is a time and a place to be bold but this was like going on 4th and 26 at you own 10. It’s bold and different and may spark things but it is still really stupid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

He looked pretty competent until our fullback let a ball go through his hands and into the arms of a defender. He shouldn't have thrown the second pick but it didn't result in anything worse than punting from the 1. The third pick was Jordan Mills being Jordan Mills. The fourth pick he was run into by Shady as he was throwing. By the fifth pick he was shell-shocked.

A mixture of bad luck, terrible teammates, and inexperience. Should the coaching staff have seen that coming? Debatable. 

I wonder if you  would offer TT this many excuses. other than the first int, the rest could have been avoided.

you wanted a qb that passes. you got it.

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Back in the day, Phil Simms was benched by Parcells, Terry Bradshaw was benched by Knoll. Both were high draft picks (Bradshaw #1 overall). I like that McDermott was bold enough to bench the former 6th round pick Taylor, who was just not progressing like he should have especially with this being his seventh season in the NFL. You have to dare to be great if you are ever going to amount to something. McDermott seems like he will do what he wants and will not let the media or anyone else influence his decisions. This is a trait that the all of great coaches have. Taylor lost his job because he wasn't taking chances. He was coached to take chances and he did not follow the orders to do so. So he got benched. Let's just see what Taylor's game looks like now (post benching) in Kansas City. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Excuses. He was horrid. 

It was stupid period. This is, and was, Tyrod Taylors team, they voted him captain. The rookie wasnt ready to start, the team wasnt ready for the rookie to start either and it showed. Im all for coaches making aggressive in game decisions. This was not the same thing. This was a personell switch based on a call from the OC who couldnt mold his gameplans around his roster to make them work. 

McDerm made a move that lost him the locker room, he has to eat the crow now, he fried it. Hopefully he has the sense to bring in a new OC this offseason.