Lets just go for Kirk Cousins in the offseason

Buffalo03

12 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

Well said, I agree 100%

It's not well said. It's completely wrong. This team is not good, it's one of the worst teams to ever make the playoffs. Whether you want to use DVOA or point differential. It is not a team loaded with talent carrying the Qb. They are just a lucky team in a down year, and I'm happy for that.

But nothing he has said shows any good reasoning for paying cousins 30 mil per. He went 7-9 in a down year in his division. Andrew luck carries garbage teams into the playoffs and is worth 30 mil. Cousins simply isn't. 

5 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Define good. 

No, not going to do that for you. That's a lazy post. Cousins QBR is 52, Tyrods is 53. So if Tyrod isn't good, then cousins isn't.

I don't get how it's all of the sudden on me to prove why the guy isn't worth 30 mil. You show why he is.

Jay Gruden wants Cousins to stay.

Bruce Allen does not want to overpay Cousins.

The Skins screwed this up royally and Bruce Allen is hoping the language they use to describe Cousins season keeps his cost down and increase chance he stays.  

That's not happening.  A franchise tag will cost them 30 million plus.  The belief down here is he's gone.  

He's going to either Denver, Arizona, or Jacksonville.  

7 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I never said anything about Drew Brees or Philip Rivers. To put Kirk Cousins in their class is laughable, it's also completely irrelevant. Im not sure whay point you are tired of making and i dont care to hear it, so spare us all the time, because it wasnt the point i made at all.

Look at QBR this year and see who's is better?

I'm not opposed to upgrading from Taylor but cousins isn't an upgrade at all and has not done more with less. For every weapon you say Kirk has lost I can match with one this team has lost. You say Jay Gruden isn't a great coach and I don't disagree, Dennison and McDermott aren't offensive geniuses either.

Yet Tyrods got a 53 QBR in a scheme that doesn't suit him and Kirk has a 52 QBR. But I'll assume you don't like that point either because it doesn't fit in with paying a mediocre QB 30 mil a year.

Cousins is not good.

The point I'm trying to make is you were basically trying to say that with Cousins the Redskins went 7-9 like it was completely his fault that that happened. You're right, Cousins isn't in Brees's or Philip Rivers class but that just makes your argument even dumber because they are better QBs yet they haven't made the playoffs in the past few years as well, yet I'm willing to bet you would take either one of them on our team. 

Cousins is better than Tyrod. He can make throws that Tyrod can only dream of making. There is just no point in saying that one of the reasons we shouldn't go after Cousins is because the Redskins went 7-9 with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cousins is a guy who can throw for 5,000 yards in a season. Those guys don’t hit the market every day. He is absolutely worth the money. I’ve watched Cousins a lot, guy is the real deal and is without a doubt better than Tyrod. We’d be lucky to have him on board. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

The point I'm trying to make is you were basically trying to say that with Cousins the Redskins went 7-9 like it was completely his fault that that happened. You're right, Cousins isn't in Brees's or Philip Rivers class but that just makes your argument even dumber because they are better QBs yet they haven't made the playoffs in the past few years as well, yet I'm willing to bet you would take either one of them on our team. 

Cousins is better than Tyrod. He can make throws that Tyrod can only dream of making. There is just no point in saying that one of the reasons we shouldn't go after Cousins is because the Redskins went 7-9 with him. 

It's not dumb at all and I'm not going to defend a point i wasn't making. I didn't say anything about Rivers or Brees or make this point about them for a reason. The saints have been a mess for the last few years before this year, the LA has been a mess too. They both also play in tougher divisions.

There is absolutely a point in talking about how they went 7-9. The guy is getting franchise money and the team can no longer afford to surround him with the talent they could when he was on that rookie deal. If you're getting 30 mil, you better be able to carry a team in an average to below average division to the playoffs. You're making this point like Tyrod is sitting here surrounded by talent when the teams are pretty similar in talent level. But people don't want to pay Tyrod 18 mil or whatever. If you don't want to pay him 18, which I respect, I would think you wouldn't want to give cousins 30. Again, you can talk about who can make what throws. Go look at the QBR, me saying Cousins is even a little better is being generous to you. And even then, he's not worth 30 million dollars. There's no consistency in want to pay cousins that money but Taylor not 18.

Jay Gruden is an abrasive dude.

Read this and tell me Cousins is not worth the cash risk at the position that matters most...

Excerpt:

Since replacing Griffin to start the 2015 season, Cousins ranks third among qualifying NFL quarterbacks in completion percentage (67.0) and sixth in passer rating (97.5) -- rivaling two-time MVP Aaron Rodgers in both categories. Over that 48-game sample size, he also ranks an impressive fifth in adjusted net yards per attempt, a discerning metric that rewards a strong touchdown-to-interception ratio and punishes sacks taken. Cousins is just the 11th quarterback in history to reach the 4,000-yard passing mark in three consecutive seasons, joining a host of current and future Hall of Famers.

The key to understanding the ever-polarizing quarterback's value lies in his Tom Brady-like devotion -- bordering on obsession -- to polishing his skill set and phasing out weaknesses in his game.

After falling prey to Cousins' audibles, awareness and quick release in that Christmas Eve clash, All-Pro pass rusher Von Miller was left wowed.

"Kirk is a great quarterback. I'll say that every day of the week," Miller raved. "A lot of teams would ... literally kill to have a quarterback like that. The list [of Cousins suitors] is long. We'll cross that bridge if we ever get to it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000902111/article/wholl-make-kirk-cousins-the-highestpaid-player-ever

Edited by foreboding

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It's not dumb at all and I'm not going to defend a point i wasn't making. I didn't say anything about Rivers or Brees or make this point about them for a reason. The saints have been a mess for the last few years before this year, the LA has been a mess too. They both also play in tougher divisions.

There is absolutely a point in talking about how they went 7-9. The guy is getting franchise money and the team can no longer afford to surround him with the talent they could when he was on that rookie deal. If you're getting 30 mil, you better be able to carry a team in an average to below average division to the playoffs. You're making this point like Tyrod is sitting here surrounded by talent when the teams are pretty similar in talent level. But people don't want to pay Tyrod 18 mil or whatever. If you don't want to pay him 18, which I respect, I would think you wouldn't want to give cousins 30. Again, you can talk about who can make what throws. Go look at the QBR, me saying Cousins is even a little better is being generous to you. And even then, he's not worth 30 million dollars. There's no consistency in want to pay cousins that money but Taylor not 18.

I understand you didn't bring up Brees and Rivers but I don't know how you can say it's completely irrelevent to bring them up when your saying that Cousins went 7-9 in a down year in his division as if the 7-9 record is a reason to not bring him on board. 

I brought up Brees and Rivers to say that the 7-9 argument is stupid when Brees and Rivers haven't done much better the past few seasons either yet they put up much better stats than he did. 

The entire AFC West had a down year to but Philip Rivers, who's much better wasn't able to do any better than 9-7 and second place in his division. 

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Jay Gruden wants Cousins to stay.

Bruce Allen does not want to overpay Cousins.

The Skins screwed this up royally and Bruce Allen is hoping the language they use to describe Cousins season keeps his cost down and increase chance he stays.  

That's not happening.  A franchise tag will cost them 30 million plus.  The belief down here is he's gone.  

He's going to either Denver, Arizona, or Jacksonville.  

Are you sure?   I hear his speak a few times a week on AM sports radio.  Jay all but threw Kirk under the bus, not once but twice.

We need someone to get us over the hump. 

In a convo about McCoy he referred to Kirk as the "other QB" 

look 4 or 5 posts up.  (from the post quoted)

4 hours ago, papazoid said:

cousins is a Top 10 QB

i'd pay him $25-30 mil/yr and keep all my draft picks

Ugly warts and all.   

I would absolutely take Cousins. The Bills have the cap room, and then could use the bounty of picks to fill in around him.

I didn't read all 11 pages, but do most people realize almost every other starter on that offense is on IR?

Edited by Clemfield2622

Brooks: Redskins should let QB Cousins walk away

Despite posting three straight 4,000-yard seasons, with a 67 percent completion rate and an 81:36 touchdown-to-interception ratio over that span, Cousins has compiled a 24-23-1 record, with one division title and zero playoff wins. While his individual numbers would please every fantasy football player across the country, they haven't helped the Redskins win at a high level.

At his end-of-season press conference, Gruden was asked to sum up Cousins' season. Here was his response, per ESPN.com:

"I'm still in that evaluation process. We're going to break down every play, every game, from a quarterback standpoint, from an offensive tackle standpoint, linebacker, safety, everybody. And when you're 7-9, it's hard to say, 'Wow, this guy really was outstanding.' You know, there's a few guys obviously that jump out. Pro Bowlers like Ryan Kerrigan had a solid year, and obviously Trent [Williams], when he played, was Pro Bowl type, and Brandon [Scherff], when he was healthy, was a Pro Bowl-type guy.

"Kirk had his flashes where he was really good. From a consistent standpoint, over the course of 16 games, we're 7-9. He did some great things, threw for over 4,000 yards and [27] touchdowns. He's a very, very good quarterback without a doubt, but as far as getting us over the hump from 7-9 to winning the division with all the injuries we had, he competed and did some good things."

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I've watched a lot of Cousins as well. I'm not that impressed.

Inconsistency is a good word to describe him. Some games he looks like a top 5 QB and others he looks awful. He'd be an upgrade for sure, but the price would be hefty and like I said he's very inconsistent. 

Still the Bills are in a bit of a quandary. They are picking deep in the draft so just about every top QB prospect will be gone when they pick. They either need to make a strong push for Alex Smith(a guy who's not a big upgrade of Tyrod) Kirk Cousins or trade up and trade away some serious draft capital. Otherwise it's back to Tyrod. 

I think you will see a team like the Jets who have almost $100 million in cap space to after Cousins hard if Washington doesn't keep him. 

If I was a betting man, I would say Alex Smith is the target and then draft a QB in the first.

Smith would be here roughly 2 years I would guess.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I've watched a lot of Cousins as well. I'm not that impressed.

Inconsistency is a good word to describe him. Some games he looks like a top 5 QB and others he looks awful. He'd be an upgrade for sure, but the price would be hefty and like I said he's very inconsistent. 

Still the Bills are in a bit of a quandary. They are picking deep in the draft so just about every top QB prospect will be gone when they pick. They either need to make a strong push for Alex Smith(a guy who's not a big upgrade of Tyrod) Kirk Cousins or trade up and trade away some serious draft capital. Otherwise it's back to Tyrod. 

I think you will see a team like the Jets who have almost $100 million in cap space to after Cousins hard if Washington doesn't keep him. 

I'm in the same boat.    But what I get a laugh at     ---- Kirk is known for saying 

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/kirk-cousins-and-maybe-redskins-fans-its-time-trust-process

I’ve learned to ignore the noise on the outside and just focus on the process

Cousins said. "I’m a little bit more process-oriented and there have been games where I’ve thrown for a lot of yards and felt like I played nearly flawlessly but we lost."

I’m about the process, and my process was really good today

VIENNA, Va. (AP) — Kirk Cousins says he is likely to wait until March for any possible negotiations with the Washington Redskins, indicating he would first make the team decide whether to apply a transition or franchise tag on him for the third year in a row.

Appearing at a fan forum aired live on 106.7 The Fan, the local radio station on which the quarterback makes weekly regular-season appearances, Cousins said Friday he believes the Redskins are "all-in" on trying to sign him to a long-term contract.

There are two new theme songs in DC. 

It's too late baby 

And it's too late, baby now, it's too late,
Though we really did try to make it.
Somethin' inside has died, and I can't hide,
And I just can't fake it, oh, no, no.

The Party's over 

Turn out the lights
The party's over
They say that all
Good things must end
Call it a night
The party's over

I live in the greater DMV and I hear it every day.   the huge sigh by Gruden is enough 

It is strange to me that allot of people want to roll the dice with a rookie QB instead of one that has proven to be a capable QB. Have we not learned from the past with Manuel, Losman and countless others that even if they are a first round pick doesn't guarantee anything other than they make more money on their rookie deal. I will say that the last few years allot of the early picks are developing into good QB's some even after a rough rookie year, Wentz and Goff particularly. I haven't seen anyone from college standout this year and really take college by storm that I would be confident on betting the house and sending a ton of picks to get. Mayfield who's performed the best has questionable size and arm strength is definitely passionate and immature at times. I don't see one finished product and i'm waiting to see the combine and workouts until I would even want to make that decision. The Bills were a QB away yesterday from moving on in the playoffs Kirk would of won that game for us and we for sure would of scored more than 3 points. Why take a chance on a rookie when you can get somebody ready to go and proven.

Just imagine if we had Kirk Cousins for this past game, we easily win.   Look at what he has done over the past 3 years or for that matter this year which arguably was his most impressive year yet considering the lack of talent they had on offense and their offensive line being absolutely decimated.   He's not a top 5 guy but he's in that 7-12 range and for me that is definitely good enough.  Benjamin easily becomes a 1000 yard receiver and our ground game gets better.