Lets just go for Kirk Cousins in the offseason

Buffalo03

Even if the Bills cut Tyrod, Glenn, Hughes, and Alexander, signing Cousins to $25 Million plus would virtually ensure they would handcuff themselves free agent wise.   The cap is high next year and contracts will be inflated.  If you want E.J. Gaines back you better have 9-10 Million. 

They need to draft a quarterback. 

Just now, reddogblitz said:

FA price could be very close to that I would think. 

....3rd tag gets you a 40% increase so it is close.....ABSURD money for mediocrity, but it is out there......with NO warranty expressed or implied...Glennon getting 15 mil for riding the pine.....ouch........

CAN PLAYERS BE TAGGED MULTIPLE TIMES?

Players can be tagged in consecutive years, but it's costly. For a player to be tagged two-straight years, the team must pay 120 percent of the player's previous salary. If it's three-straight years, the team must pay the player 144 percent of his previous salary.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Can the Redskins afford to keep Cousins if a deal cannot be worked out with another team?  I thought I saw somewhere this would be cap prohibitive, but this could be off.

Funny thing is Cousins was Mike Shanahan's pick, RGIII was Danny Snyder's pick, both drafted the same year.  Their exGM, Scott McGloughan (sp?), who they fired last spring wanted to get a deal done for Cousins two years ago to avoid just this very situation, from what I understand.  Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen couldn't make up their minds so the deal never got done.  The Redskins FO is a dysfunctional mess, which may not get better anytime soon.

I may be getting my terms mixed up but if they franchised him it would be at a high cap squeezing figure. The talk is that if he isn't willing to sign they would transition him and tell him and his agent to go make a deal with another team so they can work out a deal. 

The organization is not going to have a one year expensive deal with him again where next year they are in the same bind. The talk is that if he doesn't want to sign they will transition him and then work out the best deal they can. Not signing an extended contract brutally tells the organization that he doesn't want to play for them. 

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Don't expect NYG to go after him. Cleveland no. Indy? Why? Cincy no. Baltimore no. 

I agree it was. I'm not sure about Cousins. Some games he looks great others he looks awful(see Thanksgiving night against the Giants).

Most were speculated by the media 

Indy - some say Luck may be done. 

The others are just teams ready for a change.  

Balt - Flacco has been disappointing this season. 

Cleveland - maybe they would like to wo. A game sometime soon?

If Washington doesn't sign him, Cousins will decide where he goes.  No matter where he goes he will get the "money".  He will select a Team that he feels has the best chance at making the Super Bowl.  A team like the Jags.  I was in Denver and the same conversation is going on there about bringing Cousins in.  There are a lot of Teams thinking they just have to be the top bidder and he'll come running.  Not the case.... The difference between Team "A" through Team "C", money wise will be minimal.    Time to consider, team around him, playoffs, weather.  What would you do?

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone explain to me how this guy is proven?

He's been surrounded by better skill position guys, and the defense looked good this year before injuries and went 7-9 in an average division, much like ours.

I'm fine from moving on from Tyrod, but for a cap hit of Cousins with his performance. No thanks. Especially all you people who were happy with shedding money to spend it on this.

I want no part of Cousins. I'd rather take a chance on a QB in the draft. Anyone can go 7-9. we watched that for like 8 out of 17 years. 

On 12/15/2017 at 7:38 AM, BuffaloDave55 said:

If Washington doesn't sign him, Cousins will decide where he goes.  No matter where he goes he will get the "money".  He will select a Team that he feels has the best chance at making the Super Bowl.  A team like the Jags.  I was in Denver and the same conversation is going on there about bringing Cousins in.  There are a lot of Teams thinking they just have to be the top bidder and he'll come running.  Not the case.... The difference between Team "A" through Team "C", money wise will be minimal.    Time to consider, team around him, playoffs, weather.  What would you do?

Umm... I take the money.

You speak like you know more than anyone else, when you don't. 

SCOUT'S NOTEBOOK
The Redskins would be better off letting Kirk Cousins leave and instead focus on other pieces of their roster puzzle, writes Bucky Brooks. Plus: Why Aaron Donald should get paid, the smarts of Marvin Lewis and more.

I know Kirk Cousins is poised to potentially become the league's first $30 million man, but I wouldn't blame the Washington Redskins for letting the coveted QB1 walk out the door. In a league where franchise quarterbacks, particularly those making $20 million-plus per year, are expected to carry their teams to the winner's circle, I can understand why Jay Gruden and Co. are hitting Cousins with the old "HOP" (Hold on, playa!) label before cutting a check.

Despite posting three straight 4,000-yard seasons, with a 67 percent completion rate and an 81:36 touchdown-to-interception ratio over that span, Cousins has compiled a 24-23-1 record, with one division title and zero playoff wins. While his individual numbers would please every fantasy football player across the country, they haven't helped the Redskins win at a high level.
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/2/2018 at 11:12 PM, Ol Dirty B said:

Can anyone explain to me how this guy is proven?

He's been surrounded by better skill position guys, and the defense looked good this year before injuries and went 7-9 in an average division, much like ours.

I'm fine from moving on from Tyrod, but for a cap hit of Cousins with his performance. No thanks. Especially all you people who were happy with shedding money to spend it on this.

I want no part of Cousins. I'd rather take a chance on a QB in the draft. Anyone can go 7-9. we watched that for like 8 out of 17 years. 

Umm... I take the money.

You speak like you know more than anyone else, when you don't. 

I'm so tired of people bringing this point up. They act like the QB is the whole team. The Redskins don't have the best defense in the world and don't really have the best coaching staff. I mean how good is Jay Gruden really? Cousins has actually lost some talent this past season. Pierre Garcon left, DeSean Jackson left, Jordan Reed missed majority of the season and he hasn't really had a running game to take take the pressure off.

Drew Brees and the Saints have been mediocre the past few seasons until this season going 7-9 and 8-8 a few times but Brees has always put up pro bowl numbers. The Saints have finally fixed their D which is why they have been more successful this season not to mention their running game has been better than in years past as well.

When was the last time the Chargers made the playoffs? Yet they have a borderline HOF QB in Philip Rivers. 

It's not Cousins why the Redskins are a mediocre team. Cousins is worlds better than Tyrod

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm so tired of people bringing this point up. They act like the QB is the whole team. The Redskins don't have the best defense in the world and don't really have the best coaching staff. I mean how good is Jay Gruden really? Cousins has actually lost some talent this past season. Pierre Garcon left, DeSean Jackson left, Jordan Reed missed majority of the season and he hasn't really had a running game to take take the pressure off.

Drew Brees and the Saints have been mediocre the past few seasons until this season going 7-9 and 8-8 a few times but Brees has always put up pro bowl numbers. The Saints have finally fixed their D which is why they have been more successful this season not to mention their running game has been better than in years past as well.

When was the last time the Chargers made the playoffs? Yet they have a borderline HOF QB in Philip Rivers. 

It's not Cousins why the Redskins are a mediocre team. Cousins is worlds better than Tyrod

Well said, I agree 100%

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

I never said anything about Drew Brees or Philip Rivers. To put Kirk Cousins in their class is laughable, it's also completely irrelevant. Im not sure whay point you are tired of making and i dont care to hear it, so spare us all the time, because it wasnt the point i made at all.

Look at QBR this year and see who's is better?

I'm not opposed to upgrading from Taylor but cousins isn't an upgrade at all and has not done more with less. For every weapon you say Kirk has lost I can match with one this team has lost. You say Jay Gruden isn't a great coach and I don't disagree, Dennison and McDermott aren't offensive geniuses either.

Yet Tyrods got a 53 QBR in a scheme that doesn't suit him and Kirk has a 52 QBR. But I'll assume you don't like that point either because it doesn't fit in with paying a mediocre QB 30 mil a year.

Cousins is not good.

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I never said anything about Drew Brees or Philip Rivers. To put Kirk Cousins in their class is laughable, it's also completely irrelevant. Im not sure whay point you are tired of making and i dont care to hear it, so spare us all the time, because it wasnt the point i made at all.

Look at QBR this year and see who's is better?

I'm not opposed to upgrading from Taylor but cousins isn't an upgrade at all and has not done more with less. For every weapon you say Kirk has lost I can match with one this team has lost. You say Jay Gruden isn't a great coach and I don't disagree, Dennison and McDermott aren't offensive geniuses either.

Yet Tyrods got a 53 QBR in a scheme that doesn't suit him and Kirk has a 52 QBR. But I'll assume you don't like that point either because it doesn't fit in with paying a mediocre QB 30 mil a year.

Cousins is not good.

Define good.