Bills to explore trade market for tyrod

The juice

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Seriously? Is that an actual question?

OK, a guy has a used car that you want to buy. And you know that on a certain day, to retain that used car you know that he has to pay about 3% of his year's income (the $6 mill out of the total adjusted cap for next year according to Spotrac, $188 mill).You also know that all but 16% of his total income is already spent (our available cap). He'll be able to free some up but not that much. You go to him before that deadline and he asks you what you'll pay for the car after the deadline passes. Do you tell him? Hell, no, you lowball him, same as you would anytime anyone asks for an offer. More so, understanding that the pressure will be on him to sell before that date.

The pressure's nearly all on the Bills, who will absolutely want to trade him before they spend the $6 mill, or more likely before they don't spend the $6 mill.

This story is just the kind of thing you'd expect the Bills to put out, that they might pay the $6 mill. It's most likely smoke, hoping to create pre-bonus demand, for obvious reasons. Could be some truth in it. It's just unlikely.

They will know whether they can get anything in a trade by the end of the combine. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's not that small of a deal either. And no team is going to tell them what they would give in trade before they pay that bonus. If they pay the $6 mill, they will have to do it blind. The new regime is fiscally conservative. What level pick would they think would be worth $6 mill? A 3rd? A 4th? A 5th?

And if they do pay that $6 mill, it'll mean $13.64 mill in dead money, for a team that's already got $18.68 mill in dead money. Would that be an all-time record? If not, it'd be pretty close, I'd guess.

It's possible. I'd argue it's not likely at all. If they pay that $6 mill, my guess is that they would have to be willing to see him on the roster for another year unless they get a very nice little offer.

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They will know whether they can get anything in a trade by the end of the combine. 

No, they'll know whether they can get an offer at that time by the end of the combine.

Edited by Thurman#1

Offers change. And they certainly change, or appear or disappear, after milestones like the bonus. Nobody's going to see them at the combine and say, "We'll give you a 7th. But if you hold onto him and pay the bonus, then we'll give you a 4th a couple of months from now." The Bills will be blind about what they can get after paying the bonus. At least until they - theoretically - pay the bonus.

The argument I referred to is whether the Bills would pay the bonus and then trade him. 

So as I said, if they pay that bonus it likely means they are willing to see him on the roster for another year, though that might change with a really nice offer. A group this fiscally conservative is unlikely to bluff by paying $6 mill. Which is why it appears improbable that they would pay the bonus. 

Which would make this rumor a feint, released by the Bills, trying to convince teams that if they want Tyrod they'd better get him before the bonus. That's my guess. Could be wrong, but that's by far the most likely explanation.

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I think Cleveland is a very sensible landing spot for him, especially if they're as enamored with Josh Allen as some recent reports have indicated. Cleveland is trying to fight off the reputation that they're a complete joke...improving from having the most turnovers in the NFL to possibly the fewest would be a gigantic step in the right direction for them while they develop a young QB and Tyrod is on an expiring contract so it works out pretty perfectly for them.

Agree, I keep saying Cleveland is the #1 team to try to trade TT to.  If Cleveland wants TT and believe he will be cut, why would they think TT would sign with

them and not go to another team?  Cleveland has 12 picks this year.  Six of them in the top 65.  They have 2-5th round picks.

A 5th round pick to vastly improve their offense is nothing to them.

Cleveland's offense had 28 interceptions and 13 fumbles loss.  That's 41 turnovers!

Having TT as this years QB while the rookie sits is the PERFECT scenario for them.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Given that we traded away Marcel for a late pick I dont think we should expect much......its a salary/cap dump

He had a lot of issues and a brutal contract. We were lucky to get a 5th. Starting QBs, even below average ones, with middle of the road contracts, have more value. As I’ve said a few times a team like the Browns that is not a popular FA destination, with exorbitant cap space, draft picks to burn and a giant void for a vet QB may choose to make this trade.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He had a lot of issues and a brutal contract. We were lucky to get a 5th. Starting QBs, even below average ones, with middle of the road contracts, have more value. As I’ve said a few times a team like the Browns that is not a popular FA destination, with exorbitant cap space, draft picks to burn and a giant void for a vet QB may choose to make this trade.

Shhhhhhhh......you're making sense....:ph34r:

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Compared to what Cleveland has, TT should guarantee then at least 6 wins. 

(how many % better is that from 0 wins?) 

• Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Compared to what Cleveland has, TT should guarantee then at least 6 wins. 

(how many % better is that from 0 wins?) 

That’s one factor that plays into it. I don’t think they will start the rookie right away. They are in a situation where they just need to win some games. They need to crawl before they can walk. TT makes sense for them because he can be a bridge to Darnold and just get them out of the depths of 1-31, without having playoff expectations as he would in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree, I keep saying Cleveland is the #1 team to try to trade TT to.  If Cleveland wants TT and believe he will be cut, why would they think TT would sign with

them and not go to another team?  Cleveland has 12 picks this year.  Six of them in the top 65.  They have 2-5th round picks.

A 5th round pick to vastly improve their offense is nothing to them.

Cleveland's offense had 28 interceptions and 13 fumbles loss.  That's 41 turnovers!

Having TT as this years QB while the rookie sits is the PERFECT scenario for them.

If Cleveland drafts a QB and they throw the year away having him sit and learn, they don't need TT because they wouldn't care how good/bad the QB played knowing who would be taking over the next year. 

IMO if the Browns draft a QB that QB is starting right away. 

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 12:24 PM, Real McCoy said:

Keep him as a backup next year for 6mill?  If we dump him we get hit with a 8.6mill dead cap hit.

I'm not a huge Tyrod fan as a starter but he would be one of the top backups in the league.

diff in keeping vs trading is:

if done in the two day window from Mar 14 and 15 and if TT signs with other team for at least 1 mill a year(very likely) his dead cap is 7.6 otherwise if he sits out or retires it is 8.6 mill

If trade: 2017 dead cap approx 7.6 mill

If keep: 2017 cap hit 18 mill

So he is effectively a 10.4 mill contract for 2018.

Looks like if they keep him for 2018 his contract auto voids at end of year and Bills then hit with 5.56 mill in dead cap in 2019.

If he is traded or released after 6-1-18 it pushes some of the dead cap into 2019:

2019 Dead Cap: $5,560,000

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/ hit the little red X at far right on year 2018 for details.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Seriously? Is that an actual question? Why wouldn't another team give an honest answer now about what they'll give after the bonus is due?

Same reason you don't show your cards in poker before you bet. And especially not halfway through a betting round when the next guy to pay or fold is your opponent.

There is a substantial difference between defeating an opponent in poker, and working out a trade.

The point of a trade is to find common ground and identify a deal that is beneficial to both parties, such that both parties freely agree.  Now your trade partner may keep some information close to their vest - they're under no obligation to tell you what other deals they're being offered or considering - but it's in their interest to tell you what they're willing to offer up-front.

8 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

If Cleveland drafts a QB and they throw the year away having him sit and learn, they don't need TT because they wouldn't care how good/bad the QB played knowing who would be taking over the next year. 

Cleveland has thrown young QBs to the wolves too many times.

Starting from Game#1 with a rookie on a 1-31 team may not be the way they want to go.

Start TT for a minimum of 10 games and let the young guy get his "sea legs".

The rookie could always start the last 4 or so games of the year.

1 hour ago, John from Hemet said:

Given that we traded away Marcel for a late pick I dont think we should expect much......its a salary/cap dump

Dareus had reached the point of contributing as a part time DLman, while being paid as a 3-down starter.    He was partly a salary/cap dump, and partly (probably) an attitude adjustment.  Your highest paid guy has to lead by example, have his engine revved up and give 100% all the time.   Marcel was well liked but there were stories about falling asleep in meeting rooms and half-assing practice.  So yeah, late pick and here, you pay his salary.

Tyrod Taylor is a different story.  He's being paid as a lower mid-range starter (#20-ish in the league) and that's about where he is in terms of every metric but passing yards, so his value per salary is more in range.

That doesn't mean I think we'll find a trade partner, but then I didn't think the Chiefs would succeed in trading Alex Smith.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think this.

But then I also thought that teams would wait for KC to release Smith in a cap move, not trade a 3rd round pick AND a starting DB for him, then sign him to a huge contract.

Not saying Tyrod = Smith, just saying that if the QB market is so tight that a team is willing to pay a relative ransom for Smith, Tyrod might have more value than we as fans perceive.

I agree.  Tyrod's TD/INT efficiency coupled with a relatively inexpensive contract (for a non-rookie) has more value to a QB desperate team than most would expect.  Part of what makes this offseason so much fun is waiting for this situation to work itself out.

25 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

After what happened last year with Kizer, Darnold’s inexperience (less than 2 full seasons of cfb) and Dorsey’s comments about winning now I will be shocked if they throw him in there. A lot of it has to do with the team around him also being young and inexperienced.

Edited by YoloinOhio

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:32 AM, The juice said:

On #Bills QB Tyrod Taylor: Do not assume they decline Taylor's $6M option in 2018 and move on. His salary is manageable and they believe he'll have trade value, I'm told. Expect them to explore that market before making any moves.

I mean... really people... of course the Bills are going to explore trade options for Taylor.  March 17th isn't the definitive date we know whether Taylor remains a Bill in 2018.  It's after the draft.  I anticipate the Bills are considering packages they can put together to trade up into the top 5 so they can land Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen and I expect the Bills would like to make Taylor part of that package in order to keep draft picks while the leap up to draft the guy to replace him.

It's amazing this has to be reported considering how obvious it is that a team would be exploring all options in the offseason  :doh: 

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:38 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...FWIW, two things stand out in my mind that would negate any trade value for TT.....first Dennison and his rigid game plans (with I believe there were 2 exceptions) has pretty much telegraphed he's given up on TT period...and of course the "switch" is here........secondly, I believe there is a minor issue of a $6 mil roster bonus due March 1.....add those up and I think 31 GM's league wide would wait for his release versus ponying up a pick if interested..

I think it's March 16th... but it sounds like the Bills are considering keeping him, paying him the bonus, and continuing to explore trade options approaching draft time, likely in an effort to move up in the draft to get a QB.

Once the Bills pay him the $6million bonus, other teams are not liable for that money.