Is Peterman up to the task? He sure was last year for Pitt when he beat Clemson

Remember NP and Pitt handed Clemson their only loss last year, on the road to boot.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/11/17/nathan-peterman-buffalo-bills-signature-college-moment-vs-clemson/873818001/

ORCHARD PARK – The challenge for new Bills starting quarterback Nathan Peterman will be difficult Sunday when he makes his NFL starting debut against a Chargers defense that can make life miserable for opposing quarterbacks. ......

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but i'm pretty sure that college and the NFL are completely different....................i could be wrong.

i'll be Savior hasn't slept since the announcement. He must be so excited.

Just now, Sweats said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but i'm pretty sure that college and the NFL are completely different....................i could be wrong.

Of course they are but to go into the eventual national champion's home field and hand them their only loss in a near flawless performance (308 yards and 5 TD's) is a performance that most scouts would have circled as franchise QB caliber as it translates to the next level.  Especially since NP and Pitt were trailing by more than a TD in the 4th quarter of that game.

NP is no doubt going to make his share of mistakes and I'll go out on a limb and say he'll have more turnovers than Taylor but he's also going to attempt (and presumably make some) of the throws Taylor wouldn't have dreamed of even attempting because of his game manager, protect the ball mindset.

I watched that game and have seen all the highlights on YouTube as well. He outplayed Watson, on the road at one of college football's toughest places to play, vs. the #2 team in the country and eventual national champion. And he took a beating in doing so; constantly stayed in the pocket to make a play KNOWING he was gonna pay a price physically. One game does not a player make, but that game was impressive, regardless. 

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

i'll be Savior hasn't slept since the announcement. He must be so excited.

Yes klos, it's been very hard. My chest feels like it's going to explode from the anxiety, concern, excitement, etc.

What sucks is this is a late game on Sunday because of the west coast start so the wait is even longer!

More Peterman threads please.

Do we have any pop warner games we can discuss?  is there anything outside of football that is an indicator of Peterman's greatness?  Can he play the cello?  Does he know all the words to the Oscar Meyer Weiner song?  I heard he's a real savant when it comes to math and can count an 8 deck draw.  How does he take his toast?

These are the things we should be exploring.  I guess I'll do it myself.

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I watched that game and have seen all the highlights on YouTube as well. He outplayed Watson, on the road at one of college football's toughest places to play, vs. the #2 team in the country and eventual national champion. And he took a beating in doing so; constantly stayed in the pocket to make a play KNOWING he was gonna pay a price physically. One game does not a player make, but that game was impressive, regardless. 

NP is likely going to take some hard hits this week too with monsters like Ingram and Bosa going up against this oline.

But pretty sure he'll stand tall in the pocket and launch some rockets like he did in that game in Clemson, one of the best college QB performances I've ever seen showing what a gritty leader he is.

2 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

NP is likely going to take some hard hits this week too with monsters like Ingram and Bosa going up against this oline.

But pretty sure he'll stand tall in the pocket and launch some rockets like he did in that game in Clemson, one of the best college QB performances I've ever seen showing what a gritty leader he is.

Nothing earns the respect of your OLine and other teammates better than the willingness to stand in there like that and then maintaining a calm demeanor in the huddle. I know it's just lip service, but it's good to hear that everyone likes the way he commands a huddle and shows leadership. That's not easy for rookies, especially. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Nothing earns the respect of your OLine and other teammates better than the willingness to stand in there like that and then maintaining a calm demeanor in the huddle. I know it's just lip service, but it's good to hear that everyone likes the way he commands a huddle and shows leadership. That's not easy for rookies, especially. 

No it's not k-9 and you are right with this because NP has already shown this in preseason and the limited action we saw against the Saints he's not afraid to stand tall in the pocket under duress and take a hit.

Remember he also drew a roughing the passer call on that TD drive in garbage time last week, albeit against a likely 3rd stringer on the Saints who hit him.

Let's also not forget that when you take chances and throw the ball downfield good things happen including PI calls against the defense. I can't recall a season when I've seen so few of those against our WR's this year but it's because obviously we are at the bottom of the league in WR receptions as a team. Obviously going to guess that changes as well in the coming weeks.

I too watched the Clemson/Pitt game....my only college game of the year btw.  Peterman threw the deep ball very well, and roasted up the Clemson secondary.  I thought at that time the QB had a future.  I was thrilled when the Bills got him in round 5, as I never guessed he would last that long.   I guess Sunday we will see the start of that future.

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Nice to see someone mention Peterman's grit! He is a gritty QB for sure. 

This may have been the deciding factor in benching Tyrod. McD needed more grit and you just can't coach that. NP was born gritty.

47 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

You seem to really like Peterman a lot lol. Before he was drafted, did you watch a lot of his live games in college?

Yes I did, because a good friend of mine is a huge Pitt fan.

Also a lot of my contacts close to the college scouting ranks linked NP to Buffalo for a number of reasons, including his gritty leadership and ability to play well in cold weather.

Overall this kid is very impressive even beyond his athletic ability. He's a devout Christian ( a true man of god), married his college sweetheart and very intelligent (he has his MBA). Here's a very good (and long) read on his background dating back to his high school years everybody should check out:

http://staugustine.com/local-news/sports/local-sports/2017-04-22/faith-family-football-bartram-trail-graduate-nathan

• Like (+1) 2

I can't see past this game. not always a good idea to use college as a gauge in the next level. I'm pulling for him as I've pulled for all those who have been under (too many to count in the last two decades) center and for me personally, I have a gut feeling the kid will rise to the occasion.

whether he does or not remains to be seen.