"Good for Buffalo"

I'm new the forum here, but have enjoyed reading the stadium wall for years.  I looked to see if I could find this topic discussed and did not see it so wanted to bring it up.  I am not a huge fan of WGR, however yesterday Bulldog was talking to John Clayton and Clayton said something along the lines of the Bills made a bad decision because Tyrod is good enough to get them to the first round of the playoffs to which Bulldog respectfully replied he's tired of hearing how it's "good for Buffalo."  

I know we haven't had the best sports franchises for some time now, but the way the national media talks about us is certainly tiresome.  I like the path "McBean" has us on and I feel good about the way we are run.  We have a clear vision and that's something we haven't had in a very long time.  I know, win and we will get respect, but I really wish the national media would do their homework before commenting on our situation and tell us what's "good for Buffalo." Look forward to  reading your thoughts and comments!

• Like (+1) 2

Welcome.  The national media will not adequately do their homework or pay much attention to us until we prove that we can win in a sustainable fashion and become relevant.  Until then, we're the redhead stepchild they stick in the corner.

6 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I'm new the forum here, but have enjoyed reading the stadium wall for years.  I looked to see if I could find this topic discussed and did not see it so wanted to bring it up.  I am not a huge fan of WGR, however yesterday Bulldog was talking to John Clayton and Clayton said something along the lines of the Bills made a bad decision because Tyrod is good enough to get them to the first round of the playoffs to which Bulldog respectfully replied he's tired of hearing how it's "good for Buffalo."  

I know we haven't had the best sports franchises for some time now, but the way the national media talks about us is certainly tiresome.  I like the path "McBean" has us on and I feel good about the way we are run.  We have a clear vision and that's something we haven't had in a very long time.  I know, win and we will get respect, but I really wish the national media would do their homework before commenting on our situation and tell us what's "good for Buffalo." Look forward to  reading your thoughts and comments!

Unfortunately, none of us really know what the clear vision is.

It's been like that for so long, I guess I have gotten used to it.  It makes it extra special when we prove them wrong.  I remember everyone saying Cordy Glenn projected as a guard and they could not believe we drafted him so high as a tackle... Pffft.  Generally if we are doing the opposite of what the national media wants us to do I am pleased.

We are the ugly red-headed step child of the NFL.  Nobody takes us seriously and they don't expect much from us.  When we do something good we get an "aww...good for you!"  As you mentioned, the only way to be taken seriously is to win.  And unfortunately that's something we haven't done in a LONG time.  I don't want to just get to the 1st round of the playoffs.  Who cares?  Who can even name the teams that made it last year?  Nobody remembers.  They only remember the Super Bowl teams.  We won't be taken seriously until we get a QB.  Tyrod wasn't it.  Is Peterman?  Probably not but let's see.  If not then we have time to evaluate and then get one in the draft.  Enough of this trying to maybe someday make the wild card.  Build the team the right way and get the QB to take us to the top!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Exactly.

10 minutes ago, simool said:

It's been like that for so long, I guess I have gotten used to it.  It makes it extra special when we prove them wrong.  I remember everyone saying Cordy Glenn projected as a guard and they could not believe we drafted him so high as a tackle... Pffft.  Generally if we are doing the opposite of what the national media wants us to do I am pleased.

Yeah, we showed them.

12 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Exactly.

Yeah, we showed them.

Here is an article from 2015, one of many:  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-terron-armstead-cordy-glenn-both-rank-among-nfls-5-best-young-ots

Google "Best NFL Offensive Tackle Cordy Glenn" and notice how many of those articles over the span of his career list him.

Yeah, I would say we showed them.

We did the same thing with Jason Peters.

34 minutes ago, Sweats said:

You must be new to the NFL; the vision is clear - build a winning organization and culture. Unfortunately many fans think that happens overnight; ironic after this organization has failed miserably over the last 17 years!

42 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Suddenly switching to a 5th round rookie at 5-4 (and in the 6th playoff spot) when the defense is laying down may not to those outside of Buffalo represent "a clear vision".

50 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I am amazed at how our fans have so eagerly eaten up all this talk of process and vision as if this is something totally unique to McBeane.  No other front office has had a plan? They were all just winging it?  Wandering around aimlessly making impulsive decisions with no coherent strategy?

Let us not confuse poor execution with lack of a plan.  Also, we are 9 games into the Process and realizing this front office's vision.  McDermott and Beane talk about the Process and plan endlessly but can we wait a bit to see how this one gets executed before praising the #Process?

Seeing how effortlessly McBeane got the average fan to buy into this idea that everything that happens, no matter how erratic, is part of some divine plan is really making me think again about starting a cult. 

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, vorpma said:

You must be new to the NFL; the vision is clear - build a winning organization and culture. Unfortunately many fans think that happens overnight; ironic after this organization has failed miserably over the last 17 years!

Yes, i am new to the NFL....................................................................................................................................................................................rolls eyes.

So, as the team sits right now, does the vision look like a winning organization and culture or does it look a little more haphazardly knee jerk reaction type, with the coaching staff flying by the seat of their pants?

I'm sure we all understand that the organization won't get fixed overnight and it takes time to build, but you can't tell me that you knew exactly the vision of this franchise when they let go all of our WR's, our best RB's (minus Shady, of course), let Dareus go, benched TT, etc.

If you can see the clear vision through all of the mud, then yer a better man than me.

What i'm saying as a fan for a clear vision is that as fans, we don't exactly know what the vision is............we can assume and speculate, but none of us know the franchises vision moving forward.

All i'm saying is that the clear vision is looking a little muddy right now..........from a fan perspective.

After the Jets and Saints exposed every facet of our team there is literally a 2% chance the Bills would've made the playoffs with Tyrod at QB.   I'm fine with them test driving Peterman for a while.  He showed a good presence in the pocket and some great awareness for a rookie.  Rookie QB's have worked out pretty well for some teams recently.  I don't care about his 5th round draft position.  Last April NFL.com had him rated 0.1 lower grade than Mahomes at 161 spots lower.  That seems like a steal.  

image.png.fd1052d15bf37d4b5cff21460a92a129.png

Edited by zow2

1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I agree.   I hate the national coverage.

But it isn't going to change.   If you're a small market city, they're only going to talk about you if you win consistently.   The Colts got lots of coverage when Peyton had them in the Super Bowl hunt, but not now.   

The amazing thing is that they don't know anything that's going on with the team BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO.   Most of the fans around the country don't know anything about the team, either, and since they aren't going to talk about the team much,  the little bit they say is always the same old stuff that most of the ignorant fans know, so it sounds right.  

They're not in the busines of having good information.   They're in the business of getting ratings.   They get ratings by playing to the big cities and the masses.   The masses don't care about Buffalo, so the media don't talk about the Bills.   

The truth hurts. 

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Welcome.  The national media will not adequately do their homework or pay much attention to us until we prove that we can win in a sustainable fashion and become relevant.  Until then, we're the redhead stepchild they stick in the corner.

This is true but I admire McD for trying not to settle for just a playoff appearance. 

1 hour ago, simool said:

Here is an article from 2015, one of many:  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-terron-armstead-cordy-glenn-both-rank-among-nfls-5-best-young-ots

Google "Best NFL Offensive Tackle Cordy Glenn" and notice how many of those articles over the span of his career list him.

Yeah, I would say we showed them.

We did the same thing with Jason Peters.

Yeah, let's just sit back and gloat about how well we draft.