Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • SDS

      Problems logging in?   11/05/2017

      I know a few people are getting logged out too quickly. I don't have the answer to that yet.   However, one change that occurred is that there is no longer a log in name and a separate display name. The upgrade discarded the log in name and now uses the display name. So, to log in:   Username: <display name> Password: <your password>   If you need to contact me to find out what your display name is use: Contact Us  and we can get things sorted out.
Sign in to follow this  
Chris from Rochester

"Good for Buffalo"

Recommended Posts

I'm new the forum here, but have enjoyed reading the stadium wall for years.  I looked to see if I could find this topic discussed and did not see it so wanted to bring it up.  I am not a huge fan of WGR, however yesterday Bulldog was talking to John Clayton and Clayton said something along the lines of the Bills made a bad decision because Tyrod is good enough to get them to the first round of the playoffs to which Bulldog respectfully replied he's tired of hearing how it's "good for Buffalo."  

 

I know we haven't had the best sports franchises for some time now, but the way the national media talks about us is certainly tiresome.  I like the path "McBean" has us on and I feel good about the way we are run.  We have a clear vision and that's something we haven't had in a very long time.  I know, win and we will get respect, but I really wish the national media would do their homework before commenting on our situation and tell us what's "good for Buffalo." Look forward to  reading your thoughts and comments!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome.  The national media will not adequately do their homework or pay much attention to us until we prove that we can win in a sustainable fashion and become relevant.  Until then, we're the redhead stepchild they stick in the corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I'm new the forum here, but have enjoyed reading the stadium wall for years.  I looked to see if I could find this topic discussed and did not see it so wanted to bring it up.  I am not a huge fan of WGR, however yesterday Bulldog was talking to John Clayton and Clayton said something along the lines of the Bills made a bad decision because Tyrod is good enough to get them to the first round of the playoffs to which Bulldog respectfully replied he's tired of hearing how it's "good for Buffalo."  

 

I know we haven't had the best sports franchises for some time now, but the way the national media talks about us is certainly tiresome.  I like the path "McBean" has us on and I feel good about the way we are run.  We have a clear vision and that's something we haven't had in a very long time.  I know, win and we will get respect, but I really wish the national media would do their homework before commenting on our situation and tell us what's "good for Buffalo." Look forward to  reading your thoughts and comments!

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, none of us really know what the clear vision is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been like that for so long, I guess I have gotten used to it.  It makes it extra special when we prove them wrong.  I remember everyone saying Cordy Glenn projected as a guard and they could not believe we drafted him so high as a tackle... Pffft.  Generally if we are doing the opposite of what the national media wants us to do I am pleased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are the ugly red-headed step child of the NFL.  Nobody takes us seriously and they don't expect much from us.  When we do something good we get an "aww...good for you!"  As you mentioned, the only way to be taken seriously is to win.  And unfortunately that's something we haven't done in a LONG time.  I don't want to just get to the 1st round of the playoffs.  Who cares?  Who can even name the teams that made it last year?  Nobody remembers.  They only remember the Super Bowl teams.  We won't be taken seriously until we get a QB.  Tyrod wasn't it.  Is Peterman?  Probably not but let's see.  If not then we have time to evaluate and then get one in the draft.  Enough of this trying to maybe someday make the wild card.  Build the team the right way and get the QB to take us to the top!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, none of us really know what the clear vision is.

That was my thought when I read the post as well. They have so many holes on this team and they still don't have a franchise QB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sweats said:

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, none of us really know what the clear vision is.

Exactly.

10 minutes ago, simool said:

It's been like that for so long, I guess I have gotten used to it.  It makes it extra special when we prove them wrong.  I remember everyone saying Cordy Glenn projected as a guard and they could not believe we drafted him so high as a tackle... Pffft.  Generally if we are doing the opposite of what the national media wants us to do I am pleased.

Yeah, we showed them.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Exactly.

Yeah, we showed them.

 

Here is an article from 2015, one of many:  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-terron-armstead-cordy-glenn-both-rank-among-nfls-5-best-young-ots

 

Google "Best NFL Offensive Tackle Cordy Glenn" and notice how many of those articles over the span of his career list him.

 

Yeah, I would say we showed them.

We did the same thing with Jason Peters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sweats said:

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, none of us really know what the clear vision is.

I think the vision is acquiring draft capital and young talent to build on, but I am curious to know what ingredients are in "the process" as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sweats said:

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, none of us really know what the clear vision is.

You must be new to the NFL; the vision is clear - build a winning organization and culture. Unfortunately many fans think that happens overnight; ironic after this organization has failed miserably over the last 17 years!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the board 

 

John Clayton was talked about yesterday but it may not have had its own thread. 

 

Clayton normally doesn’t talk highly of the Bills IIRC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sweats said:

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, none of us really know what the clear vision is.

 

Suddenly switching to a 5th round rookie at 5-4 (and in the 6th playoff spot) when the defense is laying down may not to those outside of Buffalo represent "a clear vision".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Unfortunately, none of us really know what the clear vision is.

I am amazed at how our fans have so eagerly eaten up all this talk of process and vision as if this is something totally unique to McBeane.  No other front office has had a plan? They were all just winging it?  Wandering around aimlessly making impulsive decisions with no coherent strategy?

 

Let us not confuse poor execution with lack of a plan.  Also, we are 9 games into the Process and realizing this front office's vision.  McDermott and Beane talk about the Process and plan endlessly but can we wait a bit to see how this one gets executed before praising the #Process?

 

Seeing how effortlessly McBeane got the average fan to buy into this idea that everything that happens, no matter how erratic, is part of some divine plan is really making me think again about starting a cult. 

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, vorpma said:

You must be new to the NFL; the vision is clear - build a winning organization and culture. Unfortunately many fans think that happens overnight; ironic after this organization has failed miserably over the last 17 years!

 

 

 

Yes, i am new to the NFL....................................................................................................................................................................................rolls eyes.

 

So, as the team sits right now, does the vision look like a winning organization and culture or does it look a little more haphazardly knee jerk reaction type, with the coaching staff flying by the seat of their pants?

I'm sure we all understand that the organization won't get fixed overnight and it takes time to build, but you can't tell me that you knew exactly the vision of this franchise when they let go all of our WR's, our best RB's (minus Shady, of course), let Dareus go, benched TT, etc.

If you can see the clear vision through all of the mud, then yer a better man than me.

What i'm saying as a fan for a clear vision is that as fans, we don't exactly know what the vision is............we can assume and speculate, but none of us know the franchises vision moving forward.

 

All i'm saying is that the clear vision is looking a little muddy right now..........from a fan perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole interview with Clayton was nauseating.  He spoke in such absolutes and certainties about it all as well, as if a thought to the contrary was impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the Jets and Saints exposed every facet of our team there is literally a 2% chance the Bills would've made the playoffs with Tyrod at QB.   I'm fine with them test driving Peterman for a while.  He showed a good presence in the pocket and some great awareness for a rookie.  Rookie QB's have worked out pretty well for some teams recently.  I don't care about his 5th round draft position.  Last April NFL.com had him rated 0.1 lower grade than Mahomes at 161 spots lower.  That seems like a steal.  

 

image.png.fd1052d15bf37d4b5cff21460a92a129.png

Edited by zow2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I'm new the forum here, but have enjoyed reading the stadium wall for years.  I looked to see if I could find this topic discussed and did not see it so wanted to bring it up.  I am not a huge fan of WGR, however yesterday Bulldog was talking to John Clayton and Clayton said something along the lines of the Bills made a bad decision because Tyrod is good enough to get them to the first round of the playoffs to which Bulldog respectfully replied he's tired of hearing how it's "good for Buffalo."  

 

I know we haven't had the best sports franchises for some time now, but the way the national media talks about us is certainly tiresome.  I like the path "McBean" has us on and I feel good about the way we are run.  We have a clear vision and that's something we haven't had in a very long time.  I know, win and we will get respect, but I really wish the national media would do their homework before commenting on our situation and tell us what's "good for Buffalo." Look forward to  reading your thoughts and comments!

I agree.   I hate the national coverage.

 

But it isn't going to change.   If you're a small market city, they're only going to talk about you if you win consistently.   The Colts got lots of coverage when Peyton had them in the Super Bowl hunt, but not now.   

 

The amazing thing is that they don't know anything that's going on with the team BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO.   Most of the fans around the country don't know anything about the team, either, and since they aren't going to talk about the team much,  the little bit they say is always the same old stuff that most of the ignorant fans know, so it sounds right.  

 

They're not in the busines of having good information.   They're in the business of getting ratings.   They get ratings by playing to the big cities and the masses.   The masses don't care about Buffalo, so the media don't talk about the Bills.   

 

The truth hurts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Welcome.  The national media will not adequately do their homework or pay much attention to us until we prove that we can win in a sustainable fashion and become relevant.  Until then, we're the redhead stepchild they stick in the corner.

This is true but I admire McD for trying not to settle for just a playoff appearance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simool said:

 

Here is an article from 2015, one of many:  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-terron-armstead-cordy-glenn-both-rank-among-nfls-5-best-young-ots

 

Google "Best NFL Offensive Tackle Cordy Glenn" and notice how many of those articles over the span of his career list him.

 

Yeah, I would say we showed them.

We did the same thing with Jason Peters.

Yeah, let's just sit back and gloat about how well we draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I'm new the forum here, but have enjoyed reading the stadium wall for years.  I looked to see if I could find this topic discussed and did not see it so wanted to bring it up.  I am not a huge fan of WGR, however yesterday Bulldog was talking to John Clayton and Clayton said something along the lines of the Bills made a bad decision because Tyrod is good enough to get them to the first round of the playoffs to which Bulldog respectfully replied he's tired of hearing how it's "good for Buffalo."  

 

I know we haven't had the best sports franchises for some time now, but the way the national media talks about us is certainly tiresome.  I like the path "McBean" has us on and I feel good about the way we are run.  We have a clear vision and that's something we haven't had in a very long time.  I know, win and we will get respect, but I really wish the national media would do their homework before commenting on our situation and tell us what's "good for Buffalo." Look forward to  reading your thoughts and comments!

 

The Bills have had all of 21 winning seasons in their 67 years of existence, only 2 of them in this century and none under the current ownership.

The Bills haven't made the playoffs in seventeen years, the longest active post season drought in professional sports, and they are apparently doing just about everything possible to insure that their record for futility continues into the foreseeable future.

 

If you don't like  the national media insulting/mocking/criticizing the Buffalo Bills ineptitude, I suggest you complain to the people who can do something about it, the Pegulas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I am amazed at how our fans have so eagerly eaten up all this talk of process and vision as if this is something totally unique to McBeane.  No other front office has had a plan? They were all just winging it?  Wandering around aimlessly making impulsive decisions with no coherent strategy?

 

Let us not confuse poor execution with lack of a plan.  Also, we are 9 games into the Process and realizing this front office's vision.  McDermott and Beane talk about the Process and plan endlessly but can we wait a bit to see how this one gets executed before praising the #Process?

 

Seeing how effortlessly McBeane got the average fan to buy into this idea that everything that happens, no matter how erratic, is part of some divine plan is really making me think again about starting a cult. 

Lol. Well said. 

 

Its because Bills fans need to believe in something no matter how questionable it looks. 

 

As was the reaction when Watkins and Dareus were traded.... "Another Whaley mistake!" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vorpma said:

You must be new to the NFL; the vision is clear - build a winning organization and culture. Unfortunately many fans think that happens overnight; ironic after this organization has failed miserably over the last 17 years!

 

 

Finally, a front office that wants to build a winning organization!  Why didn't any of the previous regimes think of that?  

 

If it works out, great.  But literally every coaching staff in the history of the NFL has tried to build a winning organization and culture.  I think the "how" is a pretty important factor.  And the only thing McBeane have offered into how it's done - i.e., what "the process" actually is - is that they want to collect guys who fit into a winning culture.  Cool.  But that's basically just saying, "I want to bring in my guys."  Which, again, is what most new coaches/GMs do.  Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.  I'll believe it's working out when it actually happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simool said:

It's been like that for so long, I guess I have gotten used to it.  It makes it extra special when we prove them wrong.  I remember everyone saying Cordy Glenn projected as a guard and they could not believe we drafted him so high as a tackle... Pffft.  Generally if we are doing the opposite of what the national media wants us to do I am pleased.

 

How, exactly, have the Bills proved the national media wrong any time recently ... other than embarrassing those prognosticators who thought the Bills were potentially a playoff team before the Jests game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 5 Wide said:

The whole interview with Clayton was nauseating.  He spoke in such absolutes and certainties about it all as well, as if a thought to the contrary was impossible.

I’d bet he didn’t watch any tape 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×