Carolina has the #1 defense

C.Biscuit97

In terms of yardage at 278/ game.  I just heard this on PTI. They were 21 last year at 359.8.

Buffalo is at 25 this year, 359.9.  Last year’s defense, which some claimed was one of the worst ever, was 19 and gave up 357 yards/ game.

this leads me a couple of questions:

1) it’s eerie how close the Bills and Panthers d last year are in terms of yards/ game.  Why the major improvements in Carolina this year? And what does that say about McD’s role running their D?

2) did we give to much power to McD?  I hate from the start how the Pegulas handled hiring him.  The GM should have hired their own coach not the other way.  I feel like we have a first time coach with all the power and a puppet GM.

I think SM is a fine coach. Personally, I would have rather hired an offensive coach h because you can find good DCs but more goes into being a successful head coach.  I just worry that SM has way too much imprint on this team and it can affect his ability to coach, a la Chip Kelly.

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I forgot his name, but it was theDB coach who essentially ran the defense last year in Carolina

I guess the Panthers do not miss their former defensive coordinator given that their defense is so much better than it had been last year.

1 minute ago, Yeezus said:

B/c Mcdermott is overrated and he has no clue what to do on offense

should have got Sean McVay + Wade Phillips

Pegula has run this team into the ground 

It would have been great to have Wade back.  I also am missing Kromer.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I believe a coach should have a lot of the power...Belichick.  He's going to be coaching the players, why not have him have a huge say in personnel moves?  

Belichick has Pioli before he was “Belichick.”  Personally, it seems like too big of a job for one person.  Chip Kelly won 10 games his first 2 seasons. He then got all the power, made stupid moves possibly personality moves like cutting Desean Jackson and trading McCoy, and he promptly got fired.

i really don’t know too many first year coaches who have gotten the power SM has. Who is there to check him? Certainly not the GM he essentially hired.

19 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

B/c Mcdermott is overrated and he has no clue what to do on offense

should have got Sean McVay + Wade Phillips

Pegula has run this team into the ground 

Nice post, thanks for the input. I wish you could reply in every thread.

You shouldnt be so down on the bills, by losing to the saints on sunday we helped our playoff chances right?

Edited by Pbomb
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I forgot his name, but it was theDB coach who essentially ran the defense last year in Carolina

If this is the case, what did McDermott do as DC in Carolina last year?

Agree with missing Kromer; it is obvious he made a big difference with essentially the same OL.

Rivera had all the day in Carolina according to my family in carolina. Dumb hire by buff 

I’ve never seen a team so Un prepared in my life. Like what was the coaching staff doing all week. The players were lost out there. 10 days off and it was garbage 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In terms of yardage at 278/ game.  I just heard this on PTI. They were 21 last year at 359.8.

Buffalo is at 25 this year, 359.9.  Last year’s defense, which some claimed was one of the worst ever, was 19 and gave up 357 yards/ game.

this leads me a couple of questions:

1) it’s eerie how close the Bills and Panthers d last year are in terms of yards/ game.  Why the major improvements in Carolina this year? And what does that say about McD’s role running their D?

2) did we give to much power to McD?  I hate from the start how the Pegulas handled hiring him.  The GM should have hired their own coach not the other way.  I feel like we have a first time coach with all the power and a puppet GM.

I think SM is a fine coach. Personally, I would have rather hired an offensive coach h because you can find good DCs but more goes into being a successful head coach.  I just worry that SM has way too much imprint on this team and it can affect his ability to coach, a la Chip Kelly.

Carolina is running the same system, correct? Under a guy who trained for years under McDermott as secondary coach. He was promoted a year or so ago to secondary coach / assistant head coach but he knows the system and isn't changing it.

Whereas McDermott is coming into a new team with guys who don't fit the system and don't know the system.

This doesn't prove McDermott will be good. But it really is an extremely common outcome for a team switching systems to have trouble for the first year and improve quite a bit the second  and third years.

5 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

5 years. I dont care, give it 5 years!!

Yup, I don't get it. A lot of people picked this team to be 5-11 to 6-10 because this wasn't a one year plan and we traded away talent for draft currency to build for the future. But, now the team started off good and have hit a skid means McDermott sucks, Beane is stupid, and we might as well just chug bleach. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, CanadianFan said:

A Carolina fan told me at first he was worried about their D. their new DC takes more risks and that's been the difference. I assume that means they blitz more. 

31 minutes ago, CanadianFan said:

A Carolina fan told me at first he was worried about their D. their new DC takes more risks and that's been the difference. I assume that means they blitz more. 

Steve Wills definitely blitzes more. 

Last year was just a post SB hangover year with Cam playing hurt. They are starting to figure it out and hit their stride with all facets of the Veteran team contributing.

The NFC South is a quality division which causes them all to stay decent. I’m betting it takes 11 wins to take the South.

4 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Yup, I don't get it. A lot of people picked this team to be 5-11 to 6-10 because this wasn't a one year plan and we traded away talent for draft currency to build for the future. But, now the team started off good and have hit a skid means McDermott sucks, Beane is stupid, and we might as well just chug bleach. 

Exactly! !

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

If this is the case, what did McDermott do as DC in Carolina last year?

Agree with missing Kromer; it is obvious he made a big difference with essentially the same OL.

According to reports McDermott was more the overseer of the operations while the schemes and the play-calling was left of the DB coach

Carolina's defense had a bunch of injuries last season (LB (Luke Kuechly), defensive line, secondary), some at key positions. They also lost their #1CB and 3/4 of their starting secondary from the year before (when they were the #6 defense in the NFL) and were starting 2 rookies (and both were later round picks IIRC). 

Plus the offense struggled big time, too. It put the defense in a lot of tough situations. Cam wasn't himself late year. He was playing injured for much of the season IIRC.

There's also that "Super Bowl hangover" factor... 

Its not like Carolina's defense wasn't successful when McDermott was there. He had a top 10 defense 4 of the last 5 years, including a #2 ranking and #6 ranking. 

Last year was just an unusual down year for that D. I'm not surprised that they are rebounding this year. 

It took McDermott until part way through year 2 to get that Carolina defense playing very well. Then in year 3 they really took a big step forward. He has very little talent on his Bills defense right now, outside of a few guys. Let's wait and see what he does once he gets some more talent to fill key roles... 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Belichick has Pioli before he was “Belichick.”  Personally, it seems like too big of a job for one person.  Chip Kelly won 10 games his first 2 seasons. He then got all the power, made stupid moves possibly personality moves like cutting Desean Jackson and trading McCoy, and he promptly got fired.

i really don’t know too many first year coaches who have gotten the power SM has. Who is there to check him? Certainly not the GM he essentially hired.

Belichick had full control and was both head coach and (de facto) GM from day 1 in New England. He did bring Scott Pioli with him from the Jets as his director of player personnel (I believe he was first named asst director of player personnel in 2001, and then director in 2001). Pioli never held the title of GM in NE though (nobody buy Belichick has since BB was hired) or had more power than BB. 

It's actually somewhat similar to what McDermott did with bringing Beane here. He brought someone he has total faith in and respect for to work with.

Except Beane is the actual GM and seems to have all the power a GM has. I do think McDermott played a huge role in his hiring but that doesn't mean he is a puppet GM and I don't at all get the impression he is. He seems to be making the trades and personnel moves since he was hired. Also, just Look at the front office, personnel and scouting staff he put together. There's a lot of what I would call big names. I can't see all those guys leaving their current jobs (Gaine being a more/less lateral move) to work for a puppet GM. 

IMO McDermott and Beane are working hand in hand. Everything seems to be a collaboration, and (again, IMO) that's how it should be. Just because McDermott wanted to work with Beane doesn't mean Beane is his puppet. In fact, I think it's quite the opposite. I think McDermott wanted to work with Beane because he has full faith/trust in him and his ability to run a team, and really respects his opinion. 

I agree that McDermott seemed to initially have been given quite a bit of power for a 1st time head coach, especially while Whaley was still GM. I also know that it is more the exception than the norm for a coach to help hire his GM. But since Beane was hired, it seems like a very normal GM and coach combo to me. Both seem to be in their normal, defined roles. 

Coaches having more power/say seems to be a trend. Sean McVay and Les Snead both work very closely together and McVay plays a big role in decisions. Dan Quinn was given a big say in Atlanta. Kyle Shanahan is a 1st time head coach, was technically hired before Lynch and ownership made sure Kyle Shanahan like Lynch and felt he would work well with him before they would hire Lynch (I would assume Shanahan played some role in his hiring, but that is more/less speculation on my part). Both Pete Carrol and Andy Reid basically hired their own GM's (granted both were more experienced at the time). I think it's crucial that the HC and GM are working in perfect sync with each other and are on the exact same page. I think that's the way to have true sustained success. I think that is how most good organizations are run.