Why Do You Cheer If You See No Hope

corta765

My question basically stems to this: After the last two weeks a lot of people have written the team off, some want Tyrod thrown into a volcano never to be seen again, others the coaching staff, and in general see absolutely no hope and have stated as much. Some are so down on the team they don't even care if the team makes the playoffs if they were to get smoked in the game. So I sincerely ask why do you still comment and care?

After the last two weeks I know things are pretty bleak right now but I am not writing off the game nor season until it happens. I am not saying either I don't think the Bills are flawed and have issues but I will at least want to see that happen rather then assume it and that is with 17 years of proof otherwise. I think if they make the playoffs it's still great even if they get beaten pretty badly because of the weight lifted off the franchise. To me being a fan comes down to going through the dark times (and yea they have been reallyyyy dark here) so when the good days do arrive it is that much more full filling of a feeling. I am not sure how many of you are or are not Sabre fans but the 05-06 season was my favorite because for those of us who went through the down seasons and bankruptcy it was the greatest surprise you could ever have expected as a fan. Unfortunately being 29 I have only a few sparse Bills playoff memories and good one's in general.

So again if your someone who has written the season and Chargers game off already or would rather the team just tank's to 5-11 I ask in general curiousness why do you still keep cheering, comment, or care in anyway?

For me, it's all about being realistic during the week. Come gametime, throw aside all logic and hope for the best, and sometimes eat tons of crow for things I said in preseason...only to regurgitate it come mid-season...and the hopes of eating more crow late-season. it's not logical. It's just choosing to use a brain till game time, then letting emotions have the day.

3 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

For me, it's all about being realistic during the week. Come gametime, throw aside all logic and hope for the best, and sometimes eat tons of crow for things I said in preseason...only to regurgitate it come mid-season...and the hopes of eating more crow late-season. it's not logical. It's just choosing to use a brain till game time, then letting emotions have the day.

Haha I hear that. For Rex's two years I went to the Patriots game expecting a win because of the following reasons:

-Rex has beaten the Pats

-It was our time

-It has been 5 (then 6 ) years we are due for another win at home

-2015 the defense and offense is well balanced they aren't ready for us

-2016 well they won four in in a row and Miami was just a bad game we are ready to rebound

So yeaaaa my logic come gametime was gone. This season I am not going to the Pats game in Buffalo lol

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

My question basically stems to this: After the last two weeks a lot of people have written the team off, some want Tyrod thrown into a volcano never to be seen again, others the coaching staff, and in general see absolutely no hope and have stated as much. Some are so down on the team they don't even care if the team makes the playoffs if they were to get smoked in the game. So I sincerely ask why do you still comment and care?

After the last two weeks I know things are pretty bleak right now but I am not writing off the game nor season until it happens. I am not saying either I don't think the Bills are flawed and have issues but I will at least want to see that happen rather then assume it and that is with 17 years of proof otherwise. I think if they make the playoffs it's still great even if they get beaten pretty badly because of the weight lifted off the franchise. To me being a fan comes down to going through the dark times (and yea they have been reallyyyy dark here) so when the good days do arrive it is that much more full filling of a feeling. I am not sure how many of you are or are not Sabre fans but the 05-06 season was my favorite because for those of us who went through the down seasons and bankruptcy it was the greatest surprise you could ever have expected as a fan. Unfortunately being 29 I have only a few sparse Bills playoff memories and good one's in general.

So again if your someone who has written the season and Chargers game off already or would rather the team just tank's to 5-11 I ask in general curiousness why do you still keep cheering, comment, or care in anyway?

well, i know the exact post you're talking about. Maybe your response in that thread was enough. or are starting redundant threads because you are a unique and special snowflake?

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Haha I hear that. For Rex's two years I went to the Patriots game expecting a win because of the following reasons:

-Rex has beaten the Pats

-It was our time

-It has been 5 (then 6 ) years we are due for another win at home

-2015 the defense and offense is well balanced they aren't ready for us

-2016 well they won four in in a row and Miami was just a bad game we are ready to rebound

So yeaaaa my logic come gametime was gone. This season I am not going to the Pats game in Buffalo lol

I bought my Pats fan friend a ticket to Pats game in Buffalo, the one where we were going to break the sound record, haha! As we watched Brady dice us up from the first possession, I couldn't believe I paid double for that day of horror.

since 1973

1 Juice playoff game

1 Cribbs playoff game or two

6 years of greatness from Jim Kelly's team

a few good years after his decline and retirement

that's it for over 40 years.

so this is an average level of disappointment

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Why should you expect every fan to react the same exact way you do after two putrid performances?

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Why should you expect every fan to react the same exact way you do after two putrid performances?

I don't think he does, just trying to learn others' thought processes.  Nothing wrong with finding common ground with fellow Bills fans...

8 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

well, i know the exact post you're talking about. Maybe your response in that thread was enough. or are starting redundant threads because you are a unique and special snowflake?

Actually the question was posed because if you look at the stadium wall its as bleak all over as a team that is 0-9. I generally just was wondering others thought process because once the seasons is over in my eyes I may watch a little to pass the time but I'm done on here in regards to the team unless it has to due with the draft, FA, or the schedule.

17 minutes ago, corta765 said:

This is a rebuild and there remains hope in the next few years providing they draft well.

Also, getting a chance to see the young guys get a chance is interesting.

Aknowledging that we are not a playoff team doesn’t make you less of a fan or less interested.

• Like (+1) 1

Because, even though this team looks like they are a D III school playing against Alabama & Clemson the past 2 weeks. They still are above .500, and still control their own destiny. Plus, I do not watch Hockey or the NBA in any sort of meaningful or caring way. So, that means I would have to wait until April for my next sport of interest to come about. 

We cheer because we enjoy watching NFL football on Sundays and support our home town team. I understand

trying to stay positive, but lets face it, this is an inept organization, and now a no talent team, so as fans who

pay their money we have a right to comment.    Most of  us are realistic after seeing what went on the last two

games. To hear this coach get up in a press conference and say the bull that he did, is a insult to every person

who was in the stadium Sunday. We want better and are not getting it. Why don,t you watch Robert Woods,

Watkins and Goodwin score touchdowns again Sunday and if you don,t know the frustration, then your head

is in the sand. The national media makes jokes about this team asking if we have any more WRs to trade.

The fact is we don,t. Getting rid of the talent this year has to be the worst trades ever for us. We have a Coach

and GM not good enough to get those jobs elsewhere  and ownership who does not have a clue about

running a football team , much less a hockey team. There are too many records to list of NO team history

that were broke to even mention. Both the defense and offense are not NFL quality now, and do you enjoy hearing 

jokes like-the streaker at New Era gained more yards than the Offense did?

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Foreigner said:

We cheer because we enjoy watching NFL football on Sundays and support our home town team. I understand

trying to stay positive, but lets face it, this is an inept organization, and now a no talent team, so as fans who

pay their money we have a right to comment.    Most of  us are realistic after seeing what went on the last two

games. To hear this coach get up in a press conference and say the bull that he did, is a insult to every person

who was in the stadium Sunday. We want better and are not getting it. Why don,t you watch Robert Woods,

Watkins and Goodwin score touchdowns again Sunday and if you don,t know the frustration, then your head

is in the sand. The national media makes jokes about this team asking if we have any more WRs to trade.

The fact is we don,t. Getting rid of the talent this year has to be the worst trades ever for us. We have a Coach

and GM not good enough to get those jobs elsewhere  and ownership who does not have a clue about

running a football team , much less a hockey team. There are too many records to list of NO team history

that were broke to even mention. Both the defense and offense are not NFL quality now, and do you enjoy hearing 

jokes like-the streaker at New Era gained more yards than the Offense did?

I wished the Bills resigned Woods. I loved him as a blocker in the run game, thought he had a great work ethic, and he was a solid #2 WR to have. Strangely I miss him more then Sammy even though Sammy was better on deep routes which we need more for TY.

Just now, corta765 said:

Actually the question was posed because if you look at the stadium wall its as bleak all over as a team that is 0-9. I generally just was wondering others thought process because once the seasons is over in my eyes I may watch a little to pass the time but I'm done on here in regards to the team unless it has to due with the draft, FA, or the schedule.

It's not bleak to everyone. The team has a winning record. Probably won a game or two on pure emotion over talent levels. The coach and GM are rookies. Trying to find their way. My comment on sneaking in as the last wildcard then getting toasted in a road game ( yes it could happen). Is not something IMO I want to see.

I would rather wait and see what the new regime can do over the course of a couple of years. Does anyone think Peterman with Tolbert, Washington as a DT, etc. Will put fear in anyone in a playoff game? The board will meltdown. This is not remotely a team that can go deep in the playoffs. Isn't winning a Lombardi what long suffering fans really want? Or is simply getting in the playoffs good enough? Remember some predicted a 4-12 season. Lets get some players, fire a coach or two, and see these guys build a winner. Or watch them flame out like everyone before them. Then start over.  

But this is a rebuilding year, missing the most important player a franchise QB. That guy is not on the roster IMO.