Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • SDS

      Problems logging in?   11/05/2017

      I know a few people are getting logged out too quickly. I don't have the answer to that yet.   However, one change that occurred is that there is no longer a log in name and a separate display name. The upgrade discarded the log in name and now uses the display name. So, to log in:   Username: <display name> Password: <your password>   If you need to contact me to find out what your display name is use: Contact Us  and we can get things sorted out.
Sign in to follow this  
zow2

Bills, Broncos, Dolphins all have something in common..

Recommended Posts

Just my opinion, but i don't think any of these teams have a terrible defense.  Yet all have been getting gashed lately for yards and points against.  I feel like this is directly attributable to the offenses not carrying their weight.  just giving up possessions way too easily...either through 3 and outs or turnovers.  Every possession in an NFL game is critical. There aren't that many compared to college football.  Even if the team is not scoring they need to flip the field into a favorable position.  Defense obviously has to do their part too, and Buffalo was not winning that Saints game no matter if the D only gave up 20 points.   But man, offenses are just killing these 3 teams and it demoralizes the D, tires them out and gives motivation to the opponents who feel a surge of confidence when their opposition can't move effectively or score much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there may be some truth to the OP.  I don’t believe any of the Bills, Phins or Broncos’ defenses are as bad as they look on paper.  Tough holding up on defense when your offense can’t move the ball, and you are on the field for almost the entire game.

 

A defense’s best friend, IMO, is an offense that can produce sustained drives, eat up clock, and hopefully put points on the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Just my opinion, but i don't think any of these teams have a terrible defense.  Yet all have been getting gashed lately for yards and points against.  I feel like this is directly attributable to the offenses not carrying their weight.  just giving up possessions way too easily...either through 3 and outs or turnovers.  Every possession in an NFL game is critical. There aren't that many compared to college football.  Even if the team is not scoring they need to flip the field into a favorable position.  Defense obviously has to do their part too, and Buffalo was not winning that Saints game no matter if the D only gave up 20 points.   But man, offenses are just killing these 3 teams and it demoralizes the D, tires them out and gives motivation to the opponents who feel a surge of confidence when their opposition can't move effectively or score much.

Dude what? 

 

The Bills defense has been a sick joke the past two games and was on a downward trend since week 5. 

 

Look at the front 7. Outside of Hughes they have a bunch of scrubs mixed with washed up veterans and an underachieving Lawson. 

 

The pass rush is INCREDIBLY bad. They don't sniff the QB.

 

 

Edited by ScottLaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Broncos have wayy more talent than we do. Dont know enough about the other teams tho. This team lacks talent and has been over achieving all season. They were supposed to tank remember. Some balls bounced our way and we ended up 5-2. At 5-4 we have a solid shot at hitting a WC at 9-7, unless the OC and DC undermine the team for better draft positioning by putting out terrible game plans that dont fit the roster. Thats too much of a tinfoil hat thought for me to buy into tho. We just arent that good on the talent side, pur OC is pulling a reverse Rex Ryan, and we still might luck into or out of a WC spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bills D was absolutely gassed in the 2nd half against the Saints. So yes, there is a relationship between what the offense is doing and how well the defense plays.  

 

You see this sort of thing all the time in college football, where mis-matches are common and 1 team is a real underdog.  They will fight like hell and play the better team even for the first half on sheer inspiration and adrenaline.  


Then it all comes apart in the 2nd half once they are gassed and the superior team runs up the score.  Once a team is gassed, it's over. 

 

What concerns me about the Bills the last 2 games is that our D was horrible PRIOR to being gassed as well.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

The Bills D was absolutely gassed in the 2nd half against the Saints. So yes, there is a relationship between what the offense is doing and how well the defense plays.  

 

You see this sort of thing all the time in college football, where mis-matches are common and 1 team is a real underdog.  They will fight like hell and play the better team even for the first half on sheer inspiration and adrenaline.  


Then it all comes apart in the 2nd half once they are gassed and the superior team runs up the score.  Once a team is gassed, it's over. 

 

What concerns me about the Bills the last 2 games is that our D was horrible PRIOR to being gassed as well.

 

 

 

Were they gassed after the coin flip too? 

 

The Saints didn't punt the entire game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marty McFly said:

Broncos have wayy more talent than we do. Dont know enough about the other teams tho. This team lacks talent and has been over achieving all season. They were supposed to tank remember. Some balls bounced our way and we ended up 5-2. At 5-4 we have a solid shot at hitting a WC at 9-7, unless the OC and DC undermine the team for better draft positioning by putting out terrible game plans that dont fit the roster. Thats too much of a tinfoil hat thought for me to buy into tho. We just arent that good on the talent side, pur OC is pulling a reverse Rex Ryan, and we still might luck into or out of a WC spot.

 

Well let’s be real. Our Bills don’t luck out into anything so they won’t luck into a WC berth. They did get their share of luck getting to 5-2 but as usual that was smoke n mirrors 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Were they gassed after the coin flip too? 

 

The Saints didn't punt the entire game.

 

...and how many times did the Bills punt?  Further, how many times did the Bills offense go 3 and out?

 

Our defense has not looked good...I don’t think anyone is arguing that.  It doesn’t help their cause, however, when the offense can’t get a freakin first down.  I think that is the central point of the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Just my opinion, but i don't think any of these teams have a terrible defense.  Yet all have been getting gashed lately for yards and points against.  I feel like this is directly attributable to the offenses not carrying their weight.  just giving up possessions way too easily...either through 3 and outs or turnovers.  Every possession in an NFL game is critical. There aren't that many compared to college football.  Even if the team is not scoring they need to flip the field into a favorable position.  Defense obviously has to do their part too, and Buffalo was not winning that Saints game no matter if the D only gave up 20 points.   But man, offenses are just killing these 3 teams and it demoralizes the D, tires them out and gives motivation to the opponents who feel a surge of confidence when their opposition can't move effectively or score much.

 

This is a good point, and to me this is reflective of how the Bills were getting their wins early in the season....good Defense, playing well enough to maintain good field position and take some time off the clock and give the Defense a little time to rest, eventually the Offense was able to get enough going to score some points, mostly through Hauschka (sp?) field goals which was due to the field position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

 

...and how many times did the Bills punt?  Further, how many times did the Bills offense go 3 and out?

 

Our defense has not looked good...I don’t think anyone is arguing that.  It doesn’t help their cause, however, when the offense can’t get a freakin first down.  I think that is the central point of the OP.

We shot ourselves in the foot a couple times, and Tolbert shot us in the face a couple other times :lol:

 

4 3&Outs yesterday.

- 2nd drive of the game for the Bills: 2nd & 4, Tripping penalty. 2nd & 14, Pass batted. 3rd & 14, Pass short left to McCoy - goes for 4 yards.

- 5th drive of the game: 3rd & 1, Tolbert to left end for 0 yards.

- 7th drive: 1st & 10, Holding. 1st & 20, Pass batted. 2nd & 20, Taylor avoids sack, scrambles for 7. 3rd & 13, Pass short middle to Tolbert - goes for 8 yards.

- 8th drive: Incomplete, Sack, Sack.

 

Saints also had 2 offensive penalties:

An OPI on their 3rd drive turned 3rd & 3 into 3rd & 13. 3rd & 13, Brees pass short middle to B. Coleman - goes for 30 yards; S. Wright injures eye on play.

An OPI on their 6th drive gave them 2nd & 20. We responded by jumping offsides turning a 1 yard loss into a 5 yard gain. 2nd & 15, pass complete deep left to M. Thomas - goes for 21 yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. You need consistently good quarterbacking to win consistently.

2. The qb can't do the job if the o line doesn't do theirs.

3. The rb can't help you if the box is stacked due to a lifeless passing game.

4.  You can't stop the run if you're d line is outmatched.  

5. You can't stop anyone if you don't tackle them.

6. You can't let the other team have the ball 2/3 of the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jigsaw2112 said:

1. You need consistently good quarterbacking to win consistently.

2. The qb can't do the job if the o line doesn't do theirs.

3. The rb can't help you if the box is stacked due to a lifeless passing game.

4.  You can't stop the run if you're d line is outmatched.  

5. You can't stop anyone if you don't tackle them.

6. You can't let the other team have the ball 2/3 of the game.

Solid post. It's a complete team failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Were they gassed after the coin flip too? 

 

The Saints didn't punt the entire game.

 

....pretty sad....didn't their punter declare himself INACTIVE?..............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just circling back on the original post.  I think McD saw what a lot of us saw.  I blame the defensive struggles in large part to the offense being stagnant.  Usually i am the first one to say "the D sucks they can't stop anybody"..  If the O can't maintain possessions and keeps punting there's no way any D will hold up and they get tired and demoralized. 

Just hoping we have a QB now that can take some chances and make some plays with his arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×