If Tyrod's the Starter, Then Why....?

theRalph

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

A lot of teams pull their starting QB when the game is out of reach. I will admit they often take out their other starters along with him which the Bills didn't. If you want to look into those tea leaves have at it...I personally don't think Peterman is starting anytime soon.

This is a pretty fair take IMO.

Pulling Tyrod was a typical NFL thing to do, and McD has proven to be a typical NFL coach so far.

I would imagine it was done to protect Tyrod's health in a game that could be not be won as much as anything.

McD is way, way too conservative and traditional to stir the pot by switching QBs at this point in the season.

I would put forth such a switch might actually save our season, and maintaing the status quo will actually hurt us.

Peterman will play once the season is lost...it's all very predictable, but McD is a predictable guy.

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

Pegula is making McD start Tyrod to keep ticket sales going.

That depends on the fan involved.

I think more interest would be generated by playing Peterman overall.

I would hope Pegula is leaving this type of coaching decision to the coaches.

Enough is enough..... To think Peterman was put in as a dress rehearsal is as stoopid as Rob Johnson playing vs. Indy in a meaningless week 17 game in 1999.....  Ooops bad example.

2017 to date blowouts

Week 1 Indy

Week 3 Ravens

Week 4 Titans

Week 7 Cards

Week 8 Matt Moore played the whole game but 20 points scored in 4th

Week 9 Giants (even Eli was pulled)

Pretty much every blowout this year starter was pulled.....

Quit dreaming that Peterman is the second coming nof Tom Brady and this team is on the cusp of the Superbowl if Tyrod is pulled.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

The standard reasoning is to protect your starter from injury.  I don't care to try and read McDermott's mind.  Maybe it was to keep Tyrod healthy.  Maybe it was to get a glimpse of what Peterman can do in live regular season game conditions even if it was so called "garbage time."  I wouldn't read too much more into it than that, though if Tyrod continues to stink up the playing field, McDermott may be forced to consider starting Peterman at some point.

41 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The coaching staff put Peterman in hoping against hope that he would fail miserably....but now they have a real problem.

I didnt realize three year olds could type and spell so well. Very impressive. Your arent friends with KirbyJackson and So Tier by chance are you?

Edited by THEHARDTRUTH

17 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

The standard reasoning is to protect your starter from injury.  I don't care to try and read McDermott's mind.  Maybe it was to keep Tyrod healthy.  Maybe it was to get a glimpse of what Peterman can do in live regular season game conditions even if it was so called "garbage time."  I wouldn't read too much more into it than that, though if Tyrod continues to stink up the playing field, McDermott may be forced to consider starting Peterman at some point.

It was both as he stated in his presser yesterday.  Pretty standard at the NFL level. 

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

it's up to the coaching staff when to pull a QB, I would have considered taking Brees out at halftime if not sooner

....I agree....24 consecutive running plays prolly tired his arm out......could be in Shoulder Protocol right now..............

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Enough is enough..... To think Peterman was put in as a dress rehearsal is as stoopid as Rob Johnson playing vs. Indy in a meaningless week 17 game in 1999.....  Ooops bad example.

2017 to date blowouts

Week 1 Indy

Week 3 Ravens

Week 4 Titans

Week 7 Cards

Week 8 Matt Moore played the whole game but 20 points scored in 4th

Week 9 Giants (even Eli was pulled)

Pretty much every blowout this year starter was pulled.....

Quit dreaming that Peterman is the second coming nof Tom Brady and this team is on the cusp of the Superbowl if Tyrod is pulled.....

How many of the losing teams pulled their QB?

25 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Every one.....

Not quite. If you're trying to show it's common for starting QBs to be pulled from losing teams at the end of blow outs you've picked poor examples.

The only two that fit what you describe are Manning and Flacco (both are SB winning QBs over 30).

Palmer and Mariota were pulled before the second half of those games due to injury, Matt Moore, (as you stated) played the whole game, and Brissett came in at the end for Tolzein and took over the starting job. 

It does not appear that pulling young QBs to protect them in blow out losses is all that common.

5 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Not quite. If you're trying to show it's common for starting QBs to be pulled from losing teams at the end of blow outs you've picked poor examples.

The only two that fit what you describe are Manning and Flacco (both are SB winning QBs over 30).

Palmer and Mariota were pulled before the second half of those games due to injury, Matt Moore, (as you stated) played the whole game, and Brissett came in at the end for Tolzein and took over the starting job. 

It does not appear that pulling young QBs to protect them in blow out losses is all that common.

Those were the blowout games this year.  Not many and only starter who lasted the whole game is the Miami backup.

No it was a good sample.  Starters are pulled in the fourth when being blown out.  Live to fight another day.  At 5-4 they are in the hunt.  

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Those were the blowout games this year.  Not many and only starter who lasted the whole game is the Miami backup.

No it was a good sample.  Starters are pulled in the fourth when being blown out.  Live to fight another day.  At 5-4 they are in the hunt.  

Except only 2 of the 6 you listed fit your narrative. 

And there were other blow outs you didn't list. Like Buf v NYJ.

Edited by Rob's House

4 hours ago, theRalph said:

So Sean, why did you put Peterman in? Certainly not to win the game...it was way too late. To save face for Tyrod? I don't think so. Was Tyrod hurt? No. The only other reason to put him in was because he will soon be starting.

McDermott belied the coach speak he was using to recast his vote of confidence in Tyrod.  "Nathan’s a good player,” McDermott said. “I like what he did yesterday. I think he did some good things in the game. I know where they’re coming from, from a fan's standpoint. He added the "from a fan's standpoint" after a pause, as if he thought to make sure no one took that as his thought. 

Don't be fooled. Behind closed doors at One Bills Drive, discussions about the quarterback play are in full swing. The issue with the offense is no different than it was in preseason. Except now, defensive coordinators have figured out Taylor. In the preseason and first couple of games, Taylor was largely ineffective in Dennison's offense. Specifically, he was unable to throw a quick slant or out from under center. So after a few games, we saw offensive changes that involved moving Taylor around. This helped some - to wit, the throw to O'Leary. But defenses caught up. The Jets and Saints linebackers didn't penetrate at times, preventing the surrounded Taylor from lateral escape. The Bills countered this with a nice QB draw on Sunday, but with nothing else.

The true counter to this is the quick throw. When linebackers must respect and cover low crossers, then they cannot crowd the box. Taylor's inability to make the quick throw, the initial issue, is still the issue. Nathan Peterman is able to make these throws. We saw it in preseason and saw it again immediately upon entering the game. The rest is simple. When you can throw, you can move the ball. And use clock. And not subject your defense to 41+ minutes on the field.

Good post.

The Bills need to go 2-1 over these next three games in order for Tyrod to keep his starting job. Regardless of how good or bad he performs from an individual standpoint. They know what he is. It's all about wins and losses. 

Tyrod will start these next two road games regardless.

57 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Except only 2 of the 6 you listed fit your narrative. 

And there were other blow outs you didn't list. Like Buf v NYJ.

Find me them.    A blow-out is 30+ points heading into the 4th......  Not many games like that.......  Seldom is the starter out prior to that......