If Tyrod's the Starter, Then Why....?

theRalph

So Sean, why did you put Peterman in? Certainly not to win the game...it was way too late. To save face for Tyrod? I don't think so. Was Tyrod hurt? No. The only other reason to put him in was because he will soon be starting.

McDermott belied the coach speak he was using to recast his vote of confidence in Tyrod.  "Nathan’s a good player,” McDermott said. “I like what he did yesterday. I think he did some good things in the game. I know where they’re coming from, from a fan's standpoint. He added the "from a fan's standpoint" after a pause, as if he thought to make sure no one took that as his thought. 

Don't be fooled. Behind closed doors at One Bills Drive, discussions about the quarterback play are in full swing. The issue with the offense is no different than it was in preseason. Except now, defensive coordinators have figured out Taylor. In the preseason and first couple of games, Taylor was largely ineffective in Dennison's offense. Specifically, he was unable to throw a quick slant or out from under center. So after a few games, we saw offensive changes that involved moving Taylor around. This helped some - to wit, the throw to O'Leary. But defenses caught up. The Jets and Saints linebackers didn't penetrate at times, preventing the surrounded Taylor from lateral escape. The Bills countered this with a nice QB draw on Sunday, but with nothing else.

The true counter to this is the quick throw. When linebackers must respect and cover low crossers, then they cannot crowd the box. Taylor's inability to make the quick throw, the initial issue, is still the issue. Nathan Peterman is able to make these throws. We saw it in preseason and saw it again immediately upon entering the game. The rest is simple. When you can throw, you can move the ball. And use clock. And not subject your defense to 41+ minutes on the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A lot of teams pull their starting QB when the game is out of reach. I will admit they often take out their other starters along with him which the Bills didn't. If you want to look into those tea leaves have at it...I personally don't think Peterman is starting anytime soon.

• Like (+1) 1

Taylor's inability to make the quick throw, the initial issue, is still the issue. Nathan Peterman is able to make these throws.

It sure is. The Jets destroyed that more than the Saints. But... Peterman has probably flaws that Tyrod doesn't have. And as he is more typical, it should not take long for opposing defenses to figure out. But he deserves a chance. In an ideal non-ego driven world, I'd play BOTH, heck sometimes even at the same time, as they'd be a nightmare to defend as they seem to have totally different styles. I know this though: if I was a wide receiver or even a tight end, I'd want the QB switch!

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

A lot of teams pull their starting QB when the game is out of reach. I will admit they often take out their other starters along with him which the Bills didn't. If you want to look into those tea leaves have at it...I personally don't think Peterman is starting anytime soon.

We definitely can look into those tea leaves.

It means Tyrod was the only one on their mind.

Means one of two things:

1. They think Tyrod is irreplaceable and didn't want to risk injury

2. They think Tyrod was the only one who deserved to get benched.

I'm not sure exactly what to think, but I don't see it as a good sign. As a coach, if you want to build toughness, you leave your guys out there to finish the game together.

Pulling your QB as you're winning by 3+ scores (i.e. Saints and Panthers) is an entirely different scenario.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, theRalph said:

So Sean, why did you put Peterman in? Certainly not to win the game...it was way too late. To save face for Tyrod? I don't think so. Was Tyrod hurt? No. The only other reason to put him in was because he will soon be starting.

McDermott belied the coach speak he was using to recast his vote of confidence in Tyrod.  "Nathan’s a good player,” McDermott said. “I like what he did yesterday. I think he did some good things in the game. I know where they’re coming from, from a fan's standpoint. He added the "from a fan's standpoint" after a pause, as if he thought to make sure no one took that as his thought. 

Don't be fooled. Behind closed doors at One Bills Drive, discussions about the quarterback play are in full swing. The issue with the offense is no different than it was in preseason. Except now, defensive coordinators have figured out Taylor. In the preseason and first couple of games, Taylor was largely ineffective in Dennison's offense. Specifically, he was unable to throw a quick slant or out from under center. So after a few games, we saw offensive changes that involved moving Taylor around. This helped some - to wit, the throw to O'Leary. But defenses caught up. The Jets and Saints linebackers didn't penetrate at times, preventing the surrounded Taylor from lateral escape. The Bills countered this with a nice QB draw on Sunday, but with nothing else.

The true counter to this is the quick throw. When linebackers must respect and cover low crossers, then they cannot crowd the box. Taylor's inability to make the quick throw, the initial issue, is still the issue. Nathan Peterman is able to make these throws. We saw it in preseason and saw it again immediately upon entering the game. The rest is simple. When you can throw, you can move the ball. And use clock. And not subject your defense to 41+ minutes on the field.

We did have quick throws.  They got batted down.

If you recall - NP had passes batted down at the line in preseason.  It's likely an issue with o-line as much as QB.  

35 minutes ago, theRalph said:

You bring in a rookie, and you dare teams to crowd the line and confuse him with blitz packages and pickups.  Confusing causes turnovers.  Turnovers lose games.

36 minutes ago, theRalph said:

Hmmm?

Almost sounds like football 101?

21 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

We definitely can look into those tea leaves.

It means Tyrod was the only one on their mind.

Means one of two things:

1. They think Tyrod is irreplaceable and didn't want to risk injury

2. They think Tyrod was the only one who deserved to get benched.

I'm not sure exactly what to think, but I don't see it as a good sign. As a coach, if you want to build toughness, you leave your guys out there to finish the game together.

Pulling your QB as you're winning by 3+ scores (i.e. Saints and Panthers) is an entirely different scenario.

You don't have to think he's irreplaceable to want to avoid an injury at the end of a blowout. Similarly, neither do you have to think he was the only one who deserved to get benched...it's pretty standard fare pulling your starting QB down by 40 late.

It was obvious the Bills coaching staff/front office wasn't 100% sold on Tyrod Taylor back in the offseason, when they were considering letting him walk out the door.  This is not something that has popped up suddenly after a few bad games.

The problem is, Taylor still almost certainly gives us a better chance to win than Nathan Peterman.  And until the Bills are knocked out of playoff contention, the goal is still winning.  Not trying to develop a 5th Round rookie. 

Regardless of what Peterman may have done against preseason 3rd stringers, or in garbage time with a 40 point deficit... it's not going to be anything like that against a real/regular season defense.  Look how great Mitch Trubisky and Deshone Kizer played in the preseason.  Once Week 1 kicked off, they looked like lost rookies.  Sure.  Maybe Peterman will find immediate success when the real bullets start flying.  But the odds are very much against him.  Even if he turns into an eventual starter in the NFL, it will probably come with severe growing pains. 

Unbelievable as it seems, the Bills still have a very realistic chance at landing a playoff spot. 

Maybe that means nothing to everyone expecting a quick exit on Wild Card Weekend.  But I'm a believer that 17 Years is mentally looming large over this franchise.  From the owners, to the front office, to the coaches, to the players, to the fans, to the entire city.  The pressure in that locker room to JUST make the 6th seed is tremendous.  I think that landing a playoff berth in McDermott's first year (especially when everyone expected us to totally tank) may have better long-term benefits than most would give credit.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nothing out of the ordinary  about taking the starter out once outcome is no longer in question. It allows the backup to get valuable game experience in case he does need to play at some point. 

^ This.

It also protects the starter from injury in an unwinnable game. The Saints should have pulled Brees around the middle of the 3rd quarter.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The coaching staff put Peterman in hoping against hope that he would fail miserably....but now they have a real problem.

I doubt they wanted Peterman to fail miserably.  The game was out of reach so why risk an injury to Tyrod.  It was an opportunity to give the backup QB some actual game reps, happens all the time.

Highly doubt the coaching staff has a real problem since McDermott actually said Tyrod is the starter.  Now why Tyrod is the starter if Dennison doesn't change how he runs the offense and calls the plays will be a good question to ask going forward, since it would exemplify the definition of insanity.