Gruden on Peterman

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Gruden compares him to Andy Dalton.... not exactly the guy I would chase after if I wanted a QB to build a team around.

Too many around here are hoping for lightening in a bottle and while Peterman might be, it’s highly unlikely.

I'd want Tom Brady, but I'd take Andy Dalton right now. He'd be better than any QB since Kelly. 

Tallest Lilliputian and all that but still the truth. 

8 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

I'd want Tom Brady, but I'd take Andy Dalton right now. He'd be better than any QB since Kelly. 

Why go after another version of a middling QB?  Dalton is not a top tier QB.  Better than what we have but not exactly the guy you would want to build a team around.

I get a kick out of Gruden. Every QB he attempts to develop he throws this gigantic playbook at them and expects them to learn it all. So that at some point during a game he can call some obscure play that the rest of the team says wth is this? He overloads his QB's with a bunch of useless plays that the team will never utilize. 

On another note, some 2018 FA QB's, Kirk Cousins, Drew Brees, Sam Bradford. 

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

Andy Dalton is like Drew Bledsoe... don't count on much beyond a bump up in a couple of wins. He is the epitome of anti-clutch when facing strong teams.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Gruden compares him to Andy Dalton.... not exactly the guy I would chase after if I wanted a QB to build a team around.

Too many around here are hoping for lightening in a bottle and while Peterman might be, it’s highly unlikely.

Dalton is kind of streaky, but when he's playing well he has an excellent NFL skill set.  I think it is the skill set that Gruden is talking about, not what happens when you pressure Dalton and he's having a bad day.

7 hours ago, White Linen said:

It's not what he said about Peterman that was most interesting - it was what he said about how a "blue chip" QB makes everything better.  

I don't mean to be flippant, but why is that insightful?  There is really NO ONE who is arguing that it would not be very advantageous to have a great QB.  Everyone knows that.  The difficulty lies in finding and acquiring one.

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

I don't mean to be flippant, but why is that insightful?  There is really NO ONE who is arguing that it would not be very advantageous to have a great QB.  Everyone knows that.  The difficulty lies in finding and acquiring one.

....for what it is worth, Gruden did categorize Peterman as " THE most NFL ready QB I've seen in years"......I'm just supplying his quote PERIOD.....John can be a tad over the top............

AS others have said, Gruden loves everyone. It’s why I think he will be a head coach again. He is afraid to burn any bridges.

and with all this love, why did Peterman fall to the 5th round with how desperate the nfl is for qbs?   I can’t shake the Trent feel to him, which would be a good 5th pick as a backup qb.

Gruden love affairs include Tebow and Manziel.  While I rather enjoy Gruden as a commentator, I have yet to meet a QB he didn't love.  So I take his love affair with any QB with about as much seriousness as someone on this board.  He's paid to talk about QB's and they won't go on his show if he doesn't do a warm and fuzzy piece on them, no agent would ever under any circumstance allow them to go on his show if there was the potential of hurting their draft stock.  They are lobbed softball puff pieces.

Regarding Manziel, he was having a melt down when he was getting passed up too.  Wouldn't shut up about it.  Much like Kiper when Jimmy Clausen (and tons of other failed QB's he loves) was falling.  

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....for what it is worth, Gruden did categorize Peterman as " THE most NFL ready QB I've seen in years"......I'm just supplying his quote PERIOD.....John can be a tad over the top............

That must have been some righteous bud Gruden was smoking before he said that.

Edited by THEHARDTRUTH