Saints' Cam Jordan: "We kept Taylor in the pocket and made him a quarterback"

Wayne Arnold

I can't imagine there ever being a worse criticism for an NFL quarterback than to hear an opposing defensive player after getting completely shut down tell the media after the game, "We made him a quarterback."

It happened twice last season and now it's happened again. From Saints' star Defensive Lineman Cameron Jordan. 

"I knew that Tyrod Taylor would try and scramble and we pretty much eliminated that except we got a little hungry on some sacks and he spun out and did exactly what we knew he was going to do. We kept him in the pocket and made him a quarterback."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/11/cameron_jordan_on_strategy_against_qb_tyrod_taylor_we_made_him_a_quarterback.html

Taylor can blame racism for the criticism all he wants. He can tell us he doesn't care about the fans, yada yada. 

But when opposing defenses watch the film, they know Taylor cannot throw consistently from the pocket. In their minds, he's a running back who takes snaps from center.

The stat line really says it all this time: nine pass completions for 56 yards in a game where the defense is giving up points lots of points. This isn't one of those low-scoring games where Taylor is "being smart with the ball" by not taking chances because a turnover will hurt, etc. This is a game where he HAS to take chances and throw the ball down the field...and he JUST. WOULD. NOT. DO. IT.

It's a problem.

saints_game.jpg.6ff06053ef4d9a97e19ee127b62305e4.jpg

I'm not exaggerating when I say: this was the worst performance by a Buffalo Bills quarterback I have ever seen.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I can't imagine there ever being a worse criticism for an NFL quarterback than to hear an opposing defensive player after getting completely shut down tell the media after the game, "We made him a quarterback."

It happened twice last season and now it's happened again. From Saints' star Defensive Lineman Cameron Jordan. 

"I knew that Tyrod Taylor would try and scramble and we pretty much eliminated that except we got a little hungry on some sacks and he spun out and did exactly what we knew he was going to do. We kept him in the pocket and made him a quarterback."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/11/cameron_jordan_on_strategy_against_qb_tyrod_taylor_we_made_him_a_quarterback.html

Taylor can blame racism for the criticism all he wants. He can tell us he doesn't care about the fans, yada yada. 

But when opposing defenses watch the film, they know Taylor cannot throw consistently from the pocket. In their minds, he's a running back who takes snaps from center.

The stat line really says it all this time: nine pass completions for 56 yards in a game where the defense is giving up points lots of points. This isn't one of those low-scoring games where Taylor is "being smart with the ball" by not taking chances because a turnover will hurt, etc. This is a game where he HAS to take chances and throw the ball down the field...and he JUST. WOULD. NOT. DO. IT.

It's a problem.

I'm not exaggerating when I say: this was the worst performance by a Buffalo Bills quarterback I have ever seen.

That’s saying a lot.... as there have been many bad ones over the years....

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I honestly don’t think that had anything to do with the game. This is a better narrative last week when the jets kept him in the pocket and he panicked and took like 8 sacks. 

We just couldn’t get anything going. It was a combination of bad penalties, bad play calls, inaccurate throws, and poor running. 

Are you joking?

Once again, the Bills coaching staff has no idea how to adjust to an opponent who has game film on them.  How many times have we said this over the years about the Bills approach to games by their coordinators?

Taylor deserves blame but I put the majority of it on McDermott and Dennison for not being aware that teams were going to catch up to the tactics sooner rather than later.  

It’s like they don’t start out with the premise “Ok, Tyrod has to be in the pocket.  What can we do to make him successful?” as the Monday Morning question on the whiteboard.  

Frazier's should be "why can't we sack anybody?"

28 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It's a problem.

33.6 of 156?   :sick:

29.7 of 100?  :sick:

3.1 ypp avg?   What % weer behind the LOS? 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

No. I think it’s silly to say the offense looked bad because TT was a pocket passer. They looked bad because he played like crap AND the offense was in 2nd 20 all day, running option plays to mike Tolbert. 

The offense didn't look bad. It was bad - which is a massive understatement. Taylor refused to throw the ball down field when those throws were desperately needed.

He's a cowardly QB, which doesn't help the narrative that he's a running back who takes snaps from center.

22 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

This is going to be a fun week.  Other teams are saying it and Peterman played well in a single series. :D.  

Yep. TT was completely awful yesterday but when Peterman went in the Saints went 4 Deep 10 to 15 yards off the line. Nothing valid to evaluate.

3 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Once again, the Bills coaching staff has no idea how to adjust to an opponent who has game film on them.  How many times have we said this over the years about the Bills approach to games by their coordinators?

Taylor deserves blame but I put the majority of it on McDermott and Dennison for not being aware that teams were going to catch up to the tactics sooner rather than later.  

It’s like they don’t start out with the premise “Ok, Tyrod has to be in the pocket.  What can we do to make him successful?” as the Monday Morning question on the whiteboard.  

Frazier's should be "why can't we sack anybody?"

What is an OC supposed to do when the quarterback won't throw the ball? There's no adjustment for that.

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Yep. TT was completely awful yesterday but when Peterman went in the Saints went 4 Deep 10 to 15 yards off the line. Nothing valid to evaluate.

Which makes it more difficult to throw the ball down the field and score a touchdown.

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

What is an OC supposed to do when the quarterback won't throw the ball? There's no adjustment for that.

I think he's doing what he's told 8 out of the 10 times.  The other two times he deviates out of necessity.    TT hasn't struck me as a freelancer.  Ever.    There's next to no audibles at the line, and unless he's flushed from the pocket, he follows the script.    Remember, you've got guys preaching "process" and conformity all over the place under McDermott.  

7 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Sad part is, Tyrod would have probably taken a couple sacks in the same situation lol

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

I think he's doing what he's told 8 out of the 10 times.  The other two times he deviates out of necessity.    TT hasn't struck me as a freelancer.  Ever.    There's next to no audibles at the line, and unless he's flushed from the pocket, he follows the script.    Remember, you've got guys preaching "process" and conformity all over the place under McDermott.  

This is such a cop out. No coach in his right mind is telling Taylor not to throw the ball to receivers when down multiple touchdowns. That's insanity.

3 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Back in training camp, Dennison specifically stated Taylor must get the ball out quicker.  Do you think that has changed?  Is he telling him to hold the ball now?

11 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

MAYBE - just maybe they were "4 Deep 10 to 15 yards off the line" BECAUSE Peterman was NOT AFRAID TO THROW THE BALL!

We can debate it all week if we want, into next week and after the season but the loses are 100% on the quarterback.  No NFL QB should thrown for 56 yards or average 3.1 yards an attempt and keep his job.

Tyrod is not a competent NFL QB, and his TD/INT ratio is a complete lie when it comes to actually watching the guy play.   If we have a better qb, the entire team is better.

O-Line looks better when their quarterback gets the ball out sooner than 3.1 seconds

Running Backs look better when the box isnt stacked with defenders who already know we have no passing game

Defense looks better when they arent on the field a minute after they just left it

They lost as a team this is true, but in the league everything revolves around your passing game.   The faster this team realizes that the faster when can escape this inane purgatory they put themselves in every year.

• Like (+1) 1