U of Tennessee search for a HC is a hot, #rogue mess

YoloinOhio

18 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

only Phil and Tennessee could make Haslam and da Browns look good.............

:lol: however, Tennessee will become relevant again sooner.....

Les Miles is probably the leading horse.....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/tennessee-coaching-search-phil-fulmer-has-reportedly-reached-out-to-les-miles/

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

:lol: however, Tennessee will become relevant again sooner.....

Les Miles is probably the leading horse.....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/tennessee-coaching-search-phil-fulmer-has-reportedly-reached-out-to-les-miles/

I still think that's their best possible option, but it's hard to say exactly what happened in LSU the last few years.  That program really went down hill from where it was.  But he'll make them competitive again; far more than they have been the last decade.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Has Tennessee offered its HC position to the guy who fixed the turf in Indy last night yet? 

:lol:

1 hour ago, Acantha said:

I still think that's their best possible option, but it's hard to say exactly what happened in LSU the last few years.  That program really went down hill from where it was.  But he'll make them competitive again; far more than they have been the last decade.

:lol:

If Miles is the choice, UT will have to make sure he brings a good OC. LSU really struggled on offense at the end of his tenure at LSU. Their offense was like a 1980s offense.

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hmmm Haslam has a Jersey like that hanging around Cleveland too! Common denominator?? Not the color orange! 

Haslam is despised by most UT fans. The fans blame Haslam for the AD Currie and for the coaches Dooley and Jones being hired.

You would think Phat Phil being given the AD job would unite the UT fan base given his success. It hasn't. It's about a 50/50 split based on the latest poll on Volnation.

And the latest on the Ut coaching search:

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/kevin-steele-football-candidate-tennessee-vols

Looks like Phil had the list down to about 5 choices: Clemson DC Venables, Auburn DC Steele, Georgia DC Tucker, Bama DC Pruitt, and SMU HC Morris.

He can cross off Morris as it appears he is going to Arky.

10 hours ago, Cynical said:

Haslam is despised by most UT fans. The fans blame Haslam for the AD Currie and for the coaches Dooley and Jones being hired.

You would think Phat Phil being given the AD job would unite the UT fan base given his success. It hasn't. It's about a 50/50 split based on the latest poll on Volnation.

And the latest on the Ut coaching search:

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/kevin-steele-football-candidate-tennessee-vols

Looks like Phil had the list down to about 5 choices: Clemson DC Venables, Auburn DC Steele, Georgia DC Tucker, Bama DC Pruitt, and SMU HC Morris.

He can cross off Morris as it appears he is going to Arky.

I think if Fulmer had been hired at any other time, it would have been a much more popular move.  The way it happened makes it looks desperate.  And honestly, being in charge of football operations would be one thing, being the overall AD seems like a jump.  He's obviously been around along time and probably knows a lot about the overall job by proxy, but I've never heard anything about him that leads me to believe he's especially qualified.  That said, I haven't spent much time looking into it, so maybe it really is a great hire.

2 hours ago, Acantha said:

I think if Fulmer had been hired at any other time, it would have been a much more popular move.  The way it happened makes it looks desperate.  And honestly, being in charge of football operations would be one thing, being the overall AD seems like a jump.  He's obviously been around along time and probably knows a lot about the overall job by proxy, but I've never heard anything about him that leads me to believe he's especially qualified.  That said, I haven't spent much time looking into it, so maybe it really is a great hire.

Maybe, but I would not bet on it. After Phil was introduced as the AD, one Volnation member posted "They just handed the keys to the guy who drove the program into the ditch to begin with".

Football is all about what have done for me lately, and Phil's record his last 4 years is not something to brag about. 2 seasons under .500, and 1 season with double digit wins.

2 hours ago, Cynical said:

Maybe, but I would not bet on it. After Phil was introduced as the AD, one Volnation member posted "They just handed the keys to the guy who drove the program into the ditch to begin with".

Football is all about what have done for me lately, and Phil's record his last 4 years is not something to brag about. 2 seasons under .500, and 1 season with double digit wins.

The ditch is a few steps above where they are right now, but I guess it’s still a ditch. They are the Browns of CFB. :huh:

HOT TAKE!

New mystery candidate has appeared on the Volnation board:

"Rex Ryan is certainly better than any assistant coach we are interviewing- He actually beat Bill Belichick - I would be happy with this hire- Impressive & proven Resume "

OH, PLEASE, YES!!!!!!!!!!

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please let this be true.

Pretty please with a big ol' red f***ing cherry on top!!!

It's probably pure BS, but at least I can dream.

1 minute ago, Cynical said:

HOT TAKE!

New mystery candidate has appeared on the Volnation board:

"Rex Ryan is certainly better than any assistant coach we are interviewing- He actually beat Bill Belichick - I would be happy with this hire- Impressive & proven Resume "

OH, PLEASE, YES!!!!!!!!!!

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please let this be true.

Pretty please with a big ol' red f***ing cherry on top!!!

It's probably pure BS, but at least I can dream.

He has a house in Tennessee!

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Supposedly, Pruitt has been offered the job. But rumors are flying about a sticking point: Pruitt wants to continue coaching the Bama D until they are done.

Given the new early signing date, not sure if Phil will accept that.

UT fans are hoping Pruitt will bring Tosh Lupoi and Scott Cochran with him to Knoxville. That's pure fantasy.

Gonna get dicey with early sighing day and the playoffs coming off for Bama... I can see both sides. Usually the coordinators do finish out the playoff run (unless you get told to leave like Lane Kiffin). But they will be way behind if he doesn’t come over there until sometime in January, depending on how far Bama gets. 

I know one guy who should be happy about this hire - Cornelius Bennett! Bama alum and his son plays at UT.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.