Will Grier

Bakin

Have you guys been watching him much?

QB for West Virginia. 

Kid is fearless gunslinger. 

I see him not being too highly rated. 

Whats his problem?

everytime I see him play (a few times) he is just ripping passes into tiny windows....

thoughts?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The game I watched against Oklahoma State he was atrocious. Will look at some of his tape back from other games but on that evidence he has major accuracy issues and no pocket presence.

And this is the lone game I saw so my opinion wasn't favorable of the guy either. 

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has a lot of potential - would be well served to return to WVU for one more year. Lots of talent. 

While he does have a lot of potential, he will not be highly regarded because of the system he runs.  Not taking a snap under center and running an offense that is 90% 2 second short throws on first reads doesn't make me jump in excitement.  He can make some great throws but due to the system he runs, he hasn't been truly challenged.  Can he do a 5 step drop and wait for routes to develop moving between reads and then throw a dart downfield into a tight window?  Those are the plays I'm looking for.  

Edited by Buffalo30

The Oklahoma State game was a stinker for Will.

He has  had several great games and multiple 300+ passing yard games.

Texas is next for the Eers.

Stats after 10 contests.

Passing yards   3440

Touchdowns         34

Interceptions         12   (4 against  OSU)

Sacked                   14

Completion %        64

Edited by LewPort71
adding stats

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 3:37 AM, GunnerBill said:

The game I watched against Oklahoma State he was atrocious. Will look at some of his tape back from other games but on that evidence he has major accuracy issues and no pocket presence.

Haha that’s the same game I saw- the one and only time I watched him because everyone was hyping him up- I came away thinking he sucked, but I’ll probably give him another look at some point...just don’t feel like it right now :lol:

Might I suggest the opener against VT at FedEx Field? He was facing a quality secondary anyway.

On 11/11/2017 at 8:32 AM, YoloinOhio said:

He has a lot of potential - would be well served to return to WVU for one more year. Lots of talent. 

Agree 100%, he needs to refine some serious footwork flaws, needs to work on using some touch and getting past his 1st read. I see talent in the 2 games I watched so far, but recurring issues throughout both games. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Might I suggest the opener against VT at FedEx Field? He was facing a quality secondary anyway.

I watched both these games live and then again this morning, what I saw: fwiw:

VS. Va. Tech: Throws off his back foot with his body not moving into the throw and drifts sideways a lot, on slants especially, under pressure as well, accuracy is affected but is throwing a catchable ball, "Lucky or good"? on many throws, short quick hitters he is drifting and not stepping into the throws, but is getting the ball where it needs to go on time. He does this on his 1st TD pass of the game and under throws the WR on a jump ball, but coverage is over the top, "Lucky or good?"... Does this for no reason at times 3:46 of the 3rd. He does this again on the slant for his 2nd TD (2:18 or the 3rd), drifts away from the throw with his feet and body, but the throw itself is good. Awful mechanics on INT at 14:55 of the 2nd, counts on are strength as he falls out of the throw and right to the defender on the LOS off the scramble trying to lob it over the defender. The Good: Has 5 nice intermediate and deep throws where he steps (mechanics much better) into the the throw and puts it on the money. 13:04 of the the 3rd quarter "Good", 7:05

d Quarter, 1:59 or the 3rd.

A couple of throws into coverage "Lucky or good?" that work out: 12:37 of the 4th for a TD, but coverage is all over the receiver, tight window?

Good things con't: Catch and throw on quick screens and hitters is accurate, Alex Smith like legs in scrambling and picking up free yards when his first read isnt open. Confidence is there, moxy and competitive spirit for sure. 

Bad: Foot work and platform are awful on too many throws. Locks on to primary read, did not notice any secondary reads. Few if any bucket/touch throws, thows fastballs and fast changes, no true change up.

VS. Ok. St.: Versus Va. Tech Grier seemingly got away with bad mechanics and footwork, in this game he does not and this IMO is not a better secondary than Tech's. This whole game, the majority of the time Grier is not stepping into his thorws and my live game notes repeat this throughout. The falling out or away from the throws and drifting is clearly affecting his accuracy throughout the game, similar to the Tech game, lots of fastballs and hard throws, none with touch, reminds me of Ryan Nassib at Cuse'. He to does move to secondary reads at least 2 times in the game that I noted. 

1st INT: Bad mechanics and bad throw = INT.

2nd INT: Off platform and falling back while throwing, not stepping into the throw on deep pass is a big time no no, does not have the arm strength to make the throw, WR is covered deep and the CB is in deep coverage waiting on this pass, easy pick, WR see's the CB (who is in better position to make a play) and doesnt think the ball is coming his way, as it shouldnt be. 

3rd INT: Grier slips (it looks like) during his delivery and throws behind the WR and is picked off as the S (?) is watching the play unfold the whole way. Pass might have been a TD without the slip (if that is what it was), some air under the pass would have helped regardless IMO, but as usual Grier is gunning passes, not using any sort of touch.

Enough of this game...

My quick thoughts: Its only 2 games I watched and the only 2 I saw during the season, but IMO Grier is a late round (2018 draft, 2019 would be better) developmental prospect after watching these 2 games a 2nd time. He trusts his arm to compensate for some really bad lower body mechanics and off platform throws which killed WVU in the Ok. St. game and he got away with in the Tech game. When he steps into throws at the intermediate to deep levels there is some high level throws. 50 yards seems to be his max range and his passes at the intermediate and deep levels seem to be him putting his all into the throws, I question his natural arm strength and his ability to make touch passes, he does not make many if any reads in these games, I have him coming off his primary twice of note in the 2nd game. 

He needs to stay in school so far IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.