"Son of Bum" by Wade Phillips

I finished this book the other day and wanted to share a few interesting tidbits. 

This is an easy read about a great coach!

The 34 Defense:

Wade prefers to run this for several reasons. First, it's more mobile. Four linebackers will always move better than four defensive linemen, which compares favorable against a passing attack. Second, it allows you to hide pressure. An offense can identify three players that will rush the passer, but the fourth could be any of the linebackers. 

He would often allow elite players in his defense to go "off script".  Reggie White, JJ Watt, Von Miller and Bruce Smith didn't have to play their role specifically, they were given a bunch of freedom. He talked about how JJ could move across the DL as he saw fit, and although he often left big cutback lanes for the RBs to exploit, he'd break up the play so fast it wouldn't matter. 

Working with Buddy Ryan: 

Wade talked about how challenging it was to teach Ryan's 46 defense. Both he and Jeff Fisher struggled with assignments and how complex the defense was.They ended up reducing the number of calls the MLB had to make and renaming many of the positions (WILL and SAM didn't work when they changed sides). Ryan also HATED offense, he'd get tired of it in practice and just move on to defense when he felt it was best. I'm sure none of this effected Rex & Rob Ryan. 

Terrell Owens: 

He loved him as a player. He competed, played hurt and performed on the field. He didn't seem to know what all the fuss was about. 

Denver Broncos:

Wade had a great relationship with the owner, Pat Bowlen. When Bowlen fired Wade, he was brought to tears. Many years later, when Wade came back to Denver as their defensive coordinator, he saw Bowlen in the cafeteria. He was suffering from Alzheimers couldn't recognize him, only muttering "Pat Bowlen". 

Buffalo Bills: 

Even in the late 90s, Ralph Wilson was a wild card. His feelings on Flutie or Johnson changed with the wind. After the Nashville loss, Ralph went back and forth on who to fire and who to keep, never addressing rumors, eventually firing him late. Wade went to arbitrage over his earnings against the Bills and eventually won. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

Wade doesn't run a traditional 34

a traditional 34 scheme is a 2 gap system... each lineman is responsible for 2 gaps

wade runs an attacking 1 gap 34 scheme 

it is very effective against the pass and creates a great pass rush but can be susceptible to the run

its a 34 with some 1 gap principles 

he uses an attacking 1 gap Nose tackle instead of a space eating 2 gap tackle 

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Ay friggin men.

I'll second that, big time!  Karma is a beeyach and it really shows in the now almost two decades since Wade was fired.  So friggin' stupid.  I remember so fondly how good his defenses were in the late 90's.  We had no offense, but kept being playoff competitive with his great coaching.

30 minutes ago, yungmack said:

I'll bet I'm not the only Bills fan who wonders how any of those 4 SBs would have turned out with Wade running the D.

They would have won the 1st and 4th.

The 4th just kills me. By halftime, Dallas was all but ready to "tip their hats" and congratulate the Bills on finally getting one. Aikman was on another planet mentally he was so concussed. The Bills were whipping them. Then they just crumbled.

1 hour ago, MTBill said:

Thanks for the synopsis.

I always liked WP, and hated how he got run out.  I agree that if he was DC during the SB run we probably would have won at least one.

....he was and continues to be a class act.....God bless him at age 70 and STILL performing at a high level......we let him get away as well as LeBeau, ANOTHER class act and ageless wonder.....and still love Bum's ten gallon white hat, a vision that will last forever..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

9 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s still disgusting that Wade was not respected by Ralph.  The organization would have been better if they had retained him.

Him and Flutie.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....and still love Bum's ten gallon white hat, a vision that will last forever..........

Except in the Astro Done because his mother taught him to not wear a hat indoors.

Wade employed Ronnie Jones in his final year and refused direction to fire him for incompetence.  Despite his very good defense work he was only a so-so head coach and Ronnie Jones got two head coaches (Wade Phillips and Buddy Ryan) fired.  I have always felt since then that the front office should have input into coaching staff and if a head coach wanted an assistant coach front office did not want then coach should pay for that assistant out of their salary.

Echoing what's already been said but...

Wade is still a great coach, everyone agrees defensively, but his record as a HC is good too -- consistently brought his teams to playoffs but Bills and Cowboys both canned him the first season that he didn't, and both times it was probably the wrong move.

Had the Bills kept Wade as HC, I'm not saying he would STILL be HC, but there's no way we would have gone through a 17 year carousel of incompetent madness.

4 hours ago, The Dean said:

Wade is one of the most underrated defensive coaches of his time. Pretty damn good HC, too, IMO.

While I generally agree, some guys are just better coordinators than Head Coaches. I think he's one of those guys. Thrilled to see him doing well.....again!