Favorite Pizzerias in WNY

Buffalo716

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

She worked the afternoons at Gecko's, I never saw her at night. But she was fun and really cute all around. ;) Yeah, Wings and Weinies was a total dive but I liked it for the greasy hole that it was.

She had kids and made a point of just doing days.

I moved into the Landings a few months after the first Gecko’s opened in ‘93. It was a meat market at the time, but pretty solid. Got to know the owners. I went there for my Bills games starting around ‘95. My six year old son would tell my wife “dad forgot me!” If I went without him. The minivan would pull up to the front door and he would join me. He had a knack for winning the drawings, things like Budweiser tee shirts and one that had a gecko and a goalpost and said “Geckos, the easiest place to score!”. How appropriate! I hope the statute of limitations is up for that parenting! 

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

She had kids and made a point of just doing days.

I moved into the Landings a few months after the first Gecko’s opened in ‘93. It was a meat market at the time, but pretty solid. Got to know the owners. I went there for my Bills games starting around ‘95. My six year old son would tell my wife “dad forgot me!” If I went without him. The minivan would pull up to the front door and he would join me. He had a knack for winning the drawings, things like Budweiser tee shirts and one that had a gecko and a goalpost and said “Geckos, the easiest place to score!”. How appropriate! I hope the statute of limitations is up for that parenting! 

Cool. It was a pretty good place to eat or drink during the day or night. I would go down to Sarasota once or twice a year for a week or two at a time. Still do. Going between Christmas and New Years this year. My buddy (from Buffalo) has two houses there. One that is less than a mile in the big master planned community on the same North South cross street, Honore maybe, and same side of the street as Gecko's (straight south). I could walk there, and often would.

He has a new better one at University Park on the golf course,  a short drive down the street from the Casa di Pizza on University Parkway. We also go to eat and drink at Evie's, which has pretty good pizza and decent wings.

59 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Cool. It was a pretty good place to eat or drink during the day or night. I would go down to Sarasota once or twice a year for a week or two at a time. Still do. Going between Christmas and New Years this year. My buddy (from Buffalo) has two houses there. One that is less than a mile in the big master planned community on the same North South cross street, Honore maybe, and same side of the street as Gecko's (straight south). I could walk there, and often would.

He has a new better one at University Park on the golf course,  a short drive down the street from the Casa di Pizza on University Parkway. We also go to eat and drink at Evie's, which has pretty good pizza and decent wings.

Lucky you! Really....I miss it there. We lived there 18 years. I left WNY for college when I was 17, and most of those years I barely remember. Go sit at St Armand’s with a beverage and watch the people go by for me. O’Leary’s is a perfect lunch or sunset location. I voted against moving away. 

Gecko’s did everything pretty well....except wings. Too big, often not crispy enough, and their blue cheese was terrible. Watery with little chunks. But overall, I often made that my first stop when I pulled into town. The blue cheese burger (now off the menu but available) was my all-time favorite burger. Period. 

34 minutes ago, Augie said:

Lucky you! Really....I miss it there. We lived there 18 years. I left WNY for college when I was 17, and most of those years I barely remember. Go sit at St Armand’s with a beverage and watch the people go by for me. O’Leary’s is a perfect lunch or sunset location. I voted against moving away. 

Gecko’s did everything pretty well....except wings. Too big, often not crispy enough, and their blue cheese was terrible. Watery with little chunks. But overall, I often made that my first stop when I pulled into town. The blue cheese burger (now off the menu but available) was my all-time favorite burger. Period. 

Yeah, Gecko's wings are horrible. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a pie from Favorites in Lewiston last week, pretty damn good. Friend i was staying with likes it better than Gallo, but I have yet to have Gallo

For folks in DC, and outside just a good read..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/the-best-margherita-pizzas-in-the-dc-area-ranked/2017/10/10/4fb2c2f2-a785-11e7-b3aa-c0e2e1d41e38_story.html?tid=sm_tw_gog&utm_term=.7cab90097476

Edited by plenzmd1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Had a pie from Favorites in Lewiston last week, pretty damn good. Friend i was staying with likes it better than Gallo, but I have yet to have Gallo

For folks in DC, and outside just a good read..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/the-best-margherita-pizzas-in-the-dc-area-ranked/2017/10/10/4fb2c2f2-a785-11e7-b3aa-c0e2e1d41e38_story.html?tid=sm_tw_gog&utm_term=.7cab90097476

I agree a margherita might be the best way to judge a pizzeria, on the first order. Not always what I order, the first time. But I get the reasoning. I have some basic dishes I tend to order when going to restaurants (Italian, Thai, Indian, Chinese, etc) for the first time.

Funny story I heard at the bar yesterday. My buddy goes into a pizzeria where he has never been. He asks the waitress for a margherita pizza. She apologetically tells him they do not have that because "we do not serve alcohol". Classic!

5 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I agree a margherita might be the best way to judge a pizzeria, on the first order. Not always what I order, the first time. But I get the reasoning. I have some basic dishes I tend to order when going to restaurants (Italian, Thai, Indian, Chinese, etc) for the first time.

Funny story I heard at the bar yesterday. My buddy goes into a pizzeria where he has never been. He asks the waitress for a margherita pizza. She apologetically tells him they do not have that because "we do not serve alcohol". Classic!

I guess she missed the word pizza.

2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

I guess she missed the word pizza.

Well, I believe it was because the place probably didn't even serve a margherita pizza---or enough of them for the waitress (in a pizzeria restaurant) to be befuddled by the order. 

On 11/30/2017 at 2:45 PM, Wooderson said:

Good Guys Pizza in North Tonawanda.  It's my favorite.  It's heavy but it's great. 

WAs over that way on Saturday, I thought it was a sit down place. Never tried yet

8 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

WAs over that way on Saturday, I thought it was a sit down place. Never tried yet

Gotcha, nah it's just a takeout place but I think that's what helps keep the quality where it's at.  They don't over expand themselves.

• Like (+1) 1