Has cold weather/snow/wind actually been shown to be an advantage?

Another Fan

2 minutes ago, jr1 said:

no QB will want to sign here with scenes like Sunday. They know their stats will be damaged

I tend to agree that it could affect FA overall and think the draft is where you take your future franchise (hopefully) QB. However, that was one game. The weather is mostly ok in season outside of a December game or 2. That type of snowstorm is rare. You could get snow games in a ton of nfl cities. Rodgers, Big Ben andBrady seemed to do ok in cold weather, open air stadiums. 

As far as Cousins, I haven’t really formed an opinion yet as to whether i want him here. But he played in the Big 10 and those teams wear cold/snow games like a badge of honor.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That article does seem to show a benefit once it's cold enough (below 20 degrees), both at home (.800) and on the road (.714).

May not be a huge advantage, but is an advantage nonetheless. Especially against players that are used to Florida weather.

2 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

That article does seem to show a benefit once it's cold enough (below 20 degrees), both at home (.800) and on the road (.714).

May not be a huge advantage, but is an advantage nonetheless. Especially against players that are used to Florida weather.

I think it has more to do with the Bills generally not being as good toward the end of the year as they are at the beginning. 

Armando Salgeruo from Miami who was on WGR earlier this week said it doesnt matter for them because they have a bunch of guys from cold weather colleges.

On 11/7/2017 at 7:45 AM, Another Fan said:

I know I've heard that as many years as I've been following the Bills.  I would think it may be more because it's the Orginal home of the 12th man why this can be a tough place for visitors.  I mean we lost to Miami here last December.  

I don't recall it being that cold, windy, or snowing last year when we played the dolphins here. Went to the game with family from Hawaii I don't think any of us had extra layers on. Iirc it was in the 40s but I may not be remembering correctly had a few too many to drink. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it has more to do with the Bills generally not being as good toward the end of the year as they are at the beginning. 

Armando Salgeruo from Miami who was on WGR earlier this week said it doesnt matter for them because they have a bunch of guys from cold weather colleges.

I agree with you. 

But I don't think it matters they have guys from cold weather colleges. They aren't used to it now. Remember those first 40 degree days in sept/oct? That felt mighty cold. But this coming monday it will be 40 degrees, and will feel balmy. Cold tolerance is not like riding a bike, it fluctuates seasonally. Fact is, those guys have been walking around in mid-70's weather, and it's forecast to be around 27° in Orchard Park on Sunday.

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I tend to agree that it could affect FA overall and think the draft is where you take your future franchise (hopefully) QB. However, that was one game. The weather is mostly ok in season outside of a December game or 2. That type of snowstorm is rare. You could get snow games in a ton of nfl cities. Rodgers, Big Ben andBrady seemed to do ok in cold weather, open air stadiums. 

As far as Cousins, I haven’t really formed an opinion yet as to whether i want him here. But he played in the Big 10 and those teams wear cold/snow games like a badge of honor.

Rare to hit and stay during the entire game. We have those a few times a year

17 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I agree with you. 

But I don't think it matters they have guys from cold weather colleges. They aren't used to it now. Remember those first 40 degree days in sept/oct? That felt mighty cold. But this coming monday it will be 40 degrees, and will feel balmy. Cold tolerance is not like riding a bike, it fluctuates seasonally. Fact is, those guys have been walking around in mid-70's weather, and it's forecast to be around 27° in Orchard Park on Sunday.

I hope that rings true!!

It can effect teams mentally that arent ready for it...I'm sure teams that play in it regularly understand what you can and can't do better than teams that don't.

When conditions get too bad tho, all it does is even the playing field and reduce the talent gap between teams

On 11/7/2017 at 8:45 AM, billsfan11 said:

It depends what type of team they have.

Last year against Miami  they let over 200 to Ajayi on the ground, so that kind of defeats the purpose of having bad weather to their advantage. Need to be able to run the ball and stop the run to use it for your advantage in my opinion, and minus last weeks effort against the Jets, they usually are able to do that

This was going to be my response. Not just what kind of team they have, but also what kind of team we have. Was home field an advantage in cold, snowy weather when Reggie Bush was making snow angels in the end zone? No, because the Bills defense sucked, and the offense was lacked playmakers. I know that's just one example, and but the bottom line is that what matters most, in any weather condition or crowd effect, is the quality of the teams on the field.