Sirius XM Brandon Beane 10/31 + Eric Wood 11/01 (added)

stevewin

Edit: Added Eric Wood from today as well - below

Beane

---------

Was on last night with Alex Marvel and Bill Polian Late Hits - replayed this AM on Opening Drive

Good Stuff

[Marvel] Dareus

Friday after practice Jax reached out to us, we had really moved on from potentially moving him, he had played well for us in the last couple weeks and was making good strides and we though you know we’ll just play the year out and see how it goes from there. After they called we started down the road a little bit and Sean and I talked it through and we came to the decision if we move him it will be a chance for him to get a fresh start, and us a we build this thing moving forward

[Marvel] Benjamin – was it a “quickie” or something had been discussed and gained momentum

A little bit of both. Marty and I have a long past, we trust each other and kept it very tight. It really came to fruition late. I spoke to Marty yesterday on the phone and through some texts, we checked earlier in the day and I really didn’t think anything was going to happen and them we talked again at 2:00 and again didn’t think we were going to agree on what made sense for us both, but then he called me back, 3:23 I think it was on my phone, and I was like OK we might have something here, and we got it done just in time. I think we had Jim Overdorff send it in around 3:57.

[Marvel] That’s cutting it close

(laughs) Yeah, I was winded by the running up and down the hall

[Polian] Skill set and how he fits with Bills

In Carolina I was there when we drafted him and we followed his career at FL St and did a lot of research on him. He was a 1st round pick for us in that receiver heavy draft – Sammy that was picked up here, Odell, Mike Evans, Cooks all those guys - and we felt fortunate to get him at 28, we had a higher value on him. Kelvin, you won’t find a bigger receiver – strong, he’s not only tall, he’s a dense body kid, and the thing I like about him is he makes the contested catches – and obviously not a speed guy, but even when he’s covered if you throw it away from the defender 9 times out of 10 he’ll come down with it.

[Marvel] Realistic expectations time wise for picking up playbook and contributing

He’s a smart kid. He’s played the X position in Carolina. We’ll leave it up to coaches on where they want to slot him, but he understands concepts and I know Rick Dennison and those guys and they’ll give him the parallels on the verbage from the Carolina system. I don’t have a doubt that he’ll fit in, I don’t know if he’ll play Thursday, but I see him up and running by next week.

[Polian} X in the WC scheme is big body guy going over the middle and obviously he fits that. Do you see him being put in that position

I definitely do. Zay Jones is playing that right now, so I just threw the coaches this curveball a little while ago so I haven’t circled back to them yet. I don’t know if they’ll start him immediately at the X, but I see him getting there at some point, depending on how comfortable Zay can quickly move over to Z. Either way they’ll find ways to get him involved, in some cases he might not be in the X but they’ll use him like the X

[Marvel] Holding onto rights for Boldin. Explain why it’s important to continue to keep Anquan’s rights

Well, we made a commitment to Anquan, and he made a commitment to us. He left for the reasons that he mentioned back in August, and you know we invested time and committed to him, and we don’t want to just put him out on the market to see him go sign with the Patriots** or Dolphins or anybody that can get in our way and work against us

[stevewin - LOVE this answer!]

[Marvel] Dline

All have different skills, situational thing one may start one week depending on the opponent the other may play a bit more the next week. All will rotate, we try to play them all a similar number of snaps to keep them fresh in the game

[Marvel] Tre White fantastic

Personally worked him out at LSU during the process. Great young man, loves ball, very smart, his coaches at LSU speak very highly of how quick he picked things up and how competitive he was. He’s a Pro’s Pro. A lot of rookies it takes time to translate what they were doing to college to be a Pro, don’t have to worry about school but now they have to worry about taking care of their bodies, watching film, doing the right things in free time – that’s what you see with Tre that’s so impressive, he’s here early, he’s hanging around the vets, he wants to be the best at his position and I think that’s why he’s had such a great start.

[Polian] Speaking of great starts… Where do you think team is now relative to expectations

What I love about this group is Sean and his staff have gotten absolutely everything out of them. We’re not pretending that we’re fully stocked, but we got a lot of guys who play hard every week and we feel like we’re getting the most out of what we’ve got. It’s a team first thing here, it really is – you know it’s a cliché, and I’ve been around a lot of teams and I know Mr. Polian you have as well – you always go out there and say it’s team first, but a lot of times it doesn’t work out that way – you know this person’s not getting the ball, this guys not getting the reps – I can honestly say I have not heard one guy complain at all. You enjoy it while it happens. Every year is its’s own year, something could happen next year and not have the same chemistry, but the chemistry in this locker room – credit goes to Sean and the coaches and what they’ve done – it’s been amazing to watch and I’m just glad to be a part of it.

[Marvel] Challenge of first time GM, who do you rely upon

Sean and I had a 6 year history, helped us to get on exactly the same page immediately. We both see things very similarly, what type of guy we want, what type of player, what type of character – quite honestly, and I’m not just saying this because of Mr. Polian, we want to et this team to how they were in the 90’s, and I know the city is dying for that. You talk to some of the guys – Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly and fortunate enough to meet many of the players Mr. Polian had, and they’ve even mentioned similarities of the players here with thoe theams and how the city’s gotten behind them. That’s really what we’re trying to do. We’re still building this thing and we’re not nearly there, but it’s been fun. What’s been neat about it is trying to find pieces – we get excited when a guy gets released – when you put in a claim and get him it’s amazing you get as excited as when you trade for somebody.

Polian post-interview comments:

They have done absolutely everything right. From the time that they got there until now, they’ve absolutely made every move that they should have made, including the trade of Dareus. They have done everything that it is possible to do to get all there is to get out of the people on that team. They are clearly headed down the right road. And when I say do things the right way, in terms of the kind of people they have, in terms of the value system that they preach and teach, in terms of what they want their players to do, and how they want them to do it.

Eric Wood

--------------

Opening Drive Alex Marvel David Diehl 11/01

- Difference in offense last year to this year

Anytime you go from as multiple as we were with power schemes and inside zone / outside zone, what we call bounce schemes or cross schemes, and then you go to almost exclusively outside zone, it takes a little while to get going. A lot of the plays that we’re running in the preseason against our own guys takes some work, we’re coming into our own right now, last couple weeks we’ve got it going – we’re mixing back in some of the power stuff we’ve been good at in the past – and it seems to be a good mix

- Mixing it up for Jets game

When you’re playing a team for a second time, they’re watching the same film we are, the previous game we played – we have added some different stuff to the run game, some different wrinkles to the passing game since last ame – you’ve to mix it up a little bit, but esp on a short week can’t change too much to end up confusing yourself

- Kelvin Benjamin

We got a super talented player and I’m fired up about it. Talked to a few guys in Carolina who say they really like him, say he’s a competitor on the field, goes after the ball real hard, I played against him, and he’s a good ball player. I’m excited about adding him and he can only help us on offense I’m sure

- Shady chase for 10K

Something we may talk about after a game, how close are we etc, but not during the game. Shady is super talented, it’s been a lot of fun to play with him, he makes us look good up front

- Practicing your spike? (/rolleyes)

Spike practice has been compromised on short week. We have some fun with group celebrations. I try not to be involved in some that are too cheesy, we’re kind of crashing Sahdy’s celebration and spiking his football for him, it’s been fun

- McD/Process

Ton of turnover, but McD, Beane have done a great job of identifying guys who are going to come in, work hard, show up every day, and you know we may not all be the same outside the building, but a lot of guys are similar inside the building. Guys like that get along, show up on Sundays and play hard, and respect each other . the film speaks for itself – you got 11 guys running to the football, 11 guys playing hard

- Challenges of short week

Physically, mentally challenging – but with us playing in small market I look forward to opportunity – chance to show what we’re about

- Nick O’leary still only offensive player that doesn’t wear gloves! [can’t make this sh!t up]

He’s a good player, productive at Fl St. Excellent in this offense

- Growth in Tyrod

Efficient is word I use. He doesn’t make big mistakes, he picks up first downs with his arm and his legs. Think he has developed a lot as a QB these last few years as far as leadership, command of the huddle, handling the offense, certain checks – he’s come a long way in things that can only be attained from being on the field

Edited by stevewin

had a chance to hear some of that interview last night, and it was excellent. from the time i left work yesterday, until the time i drove into work today, nfl radio has been saturated with bills talk. i think eric wood was even going to be on the morning kickoff today.

had a chance to hear some of that interview last night, and it was excellent. from the time i left work yesterday, until the time i drove into work today, nfl radio has been saturated with bills talk. i think eric wood was even going to be on the morning kickoff today.

damn, same as with the 5-2 2011 team, rut row

damn, same as with the 5-2 2011 team, rut row

we'll know thursday how similar those teams actually are.

one nugget i really like from the interview, (in the paragraph for challenges of a first time gm) is that beane went way out of his way to let the interviewers know that this team was in no way near a final product yet. this team is way over achieving considering the pieces aren't in place yet.

Added the Wood interview from this AM

Good stuff, thanks for the write up.

I can't wait for tomorrow night. It could be a chippy, scrappy type game. The Jets are at home with their back against a wall. If they drop to 3-6, they're basically done for the year. I have faith McDermott will have them prepared.

Stevewin - thanks for putting in the time to transcribe this. Great to read good news about McBeane, the players, and Polian observations. Sometimes I feel like I am in an alternate universe where the Bills are good. I remember 2011 and the excitement of that 5-2 team but felt that it could not sustain and down it went. But this staff and team are very different than previous Bills teams. Optimism starting to rise...