"Patriot Way": Officiating Catalog

*Wearing my tinfoil hat here*

Maybe we can revert back to this thread from time to time to see how officiating has affected the Patriots' season.

The way I see the officiating in Pats' games is this: The officials will throw flags on the Pats and their opponents...usually an equal amount. That's not the purpose of this thread.

The big difference is how the flags or non-calls are made at important times during the game. The Chargers game is a prime example. The Pats may have been flagged for a holding or an off sides a few times and the opponent feels the game is being called fair. Then the refs call an OPI on the Chargers which is a crucial call (mistake) that changes the game in the Pats favor.

Same with the Jets game. The TE maintained possession of the ball until he hit the ground (granted, he bobbled it mid air for a second but re-established possession before hitting the ground). That no TD call was a game changer. Pats fans will point to the number of flags thrown but that is meaningless when you consider the types of flags thrown against the Pats for basic holds, interference, etc. versus calls against opponents that truly affect the score (calls that negate TD's). I'd love to see some research to determine how many times a Patriots' game has been affected by the refs officiating.

So, as of October 31, 2017, the officials have affected two games in favor of the Pats:

Jets game

Chargers game

Feel free to add onto this list if I missed any.

Maybe we can revert back to this thread from time to time to see how officiating has affected the Patriots' season.

The way I see the officiating in Pats' games is this: The officials will throw flags on the Pats and their opponents...usually an equal amount. That's not the purpose of this thread.

The big difference is how the flags or non-calls are made at important times during the game. The Chargers game is a prime example. The Pats may have been flagged for a holding or an off sides a few times and the opponent feels the game is being called fair. Then the refs call an OPI on the Chargers which is a crucial call (mistake) that changes the game in the Pats favor.

Same with the Jets game. The TE maintained possession of the ball until he hit the ground (granted, he bobbled it mid air for a second but re-established possession before hitting the ground). That no TD call was a game changer. Pats fans will point to the number of flags thrown but that is meaningless when you consider the types of flags thrown against the Pats for basic holds, interference, etc. versus calls against opponents that truly affect the score (calls that negate TD's). I'd love to see some research to determine how many times a Patriots' game has been affected by the refs officiating.

So, as of October 31, 2017, the officials have affected two games in favor of the Pats:

Jets game

Chargers game

This is usually the problem with conspiracy theories.

What your suggesting is that the patsies*** organization, the NFL, as an organization, and every official have colluded in an ultra secret pact to sway the outcome of every game the patsies*** play in by making favorable calls at the most crucial points in each game. You're talking about hundreds of people keeping their mouths shut and having 100% of them buying into the program. When you throw in centralized review and instant replay from multiple angles then the entire watching public and sports media must be both blind and stupid. Of course it could be argued that people do pay good money to watch professional wrestling.

The counterpoint is that officials, as a group are both blind and stupid, and that includes official review. When I was playing, back at the dawn of time, the band would do a rendition of The Three Blind Mice after each obvious blown call.

Jets game

Chargers game

I remember a flag on Hogan for holding last year that negated a 90 yard TD against us on like the first play of the game...

I remember a flag on Hogan for holding last year that negated a 90 yard TD against us on like the first play of the game...

congrats even a mouse finds a hidden piece of cheese now and again.

I don't think there is a big conspiracy going on but officials are prone to favor the Pats for reasons unexplained. Be if Kraft Bellycheck Brady influence complaining and officials cowering. Offensive PI and pick plays are the worst offenses the officials let them get away with.

Pats invented the TE push off and those pick plays.

The no contact call against Chargers trumps all the others as by far the worst ever. Chargers never touched anyone. Pats ran into themselves. Worse than the "just give it to them game"

Edited by cba fan

congrats even a mouse finds a hidden piece of cheese now and again.

I don't think there is a big conspiracy going on but officials are prone to favor the Pats for reasons unexplained. Be if Kraft Bellycheck Brady influence complaining and officials cowering. Offensive PI and pick plays are the worst offenses the officials let them get away with.

Pats invented the TE push off and those pick plays.

The no contact call against Chargers trumps all the others as by far the worst ever. Chargers never touched anyone. Pats ran into themselves. Worse than the "just give it to them game"

​I don't see a conspiracy. Goodell hates the Pats since that deflategate scandal, so why would he want NE to win?

I agree that they see to benefit from sketchy calls, but that is probably due to the terrible and inconsistent officiating around the league week in and week out.

What your suggesting is that the patsies*** organization, the NFL, as an organization, and every official have colluded in an ultra secret pact to sway the outcome of every game the patsies*** play in by making favorable calls at the most crucial points in each game. You're talking about hundreds of people keeping their mouths shut and having 100% of them buying into the program. When you throw in centralized review and instant replay from multiple angles then the entire watching public and sports media must be both blind and stupid. Of course it could be argued that people do pay good money to watch professional wrestling.

The counterpoint is that officials, as a group are both blind and stupid, and that includes official review. When I was playing, back at the dawn of time, the band would do a rendition of The Three Blind Mice after each obvious blown call.

I don't think the Pats owner has influenced the officials directly. I do think, however, the officials are aware of the crying and whining by the Pats over the course of the last ten years ever since spy gate and inflate gate to the point where the officials throw flags quickly whenever anything "appears" to hurt the Pats in a game. That appearance and the "err on the side of Pats" mentality has popped up time and again (and will continue to be an issue this year).

Like I said, let's just keep this thread open for the next 8 weeks and see what else might be added to it.

​I don't see a conspiracy. Goodell hates the Pats since that deflategate scandal, so why would he want NE to win?

I agree that they see to benefit from sketchy calls, but that is probably due to the terrible and inconsistent officiating around the league week in and week out.

We got some benefits from calls I'm sure other teams fans are bitching about like the Atlanta game with the sack/fumble/TD...

Pretty sure every team has a bunch of plays every year they can point to as ways they got screwed

Well, I think there are a couple of ways NFL officiating could be biased in favor of the Pats without any grand conspiracy with 100s keeping their mouths shut.

First there's the well-known "benefit of the doubt" phenomenon. When someone (a student, an athlete) has been successful, they tend to get the "benefit of the doubt" more often than not. It's not so much a deliberate effect, as that we all see what we want to see.

Second there's the "elder statesman" phenomenon. They used to call Peyton Manning "The Sheriff" for good reason - he'd forgotten more about the game than most coaches and refs know. Brady is in the same class. No ref wants to be "that guy" who blows a high profile televised call involving one of the game's elder statesmen, so there is a tendency to give Brady an ear.

Third, IIRC while refs can't bet, their friends and family can, and refs can play fantasy. It would not be totally beyond the possible for a ref to be influenced to see the game a particular way for that reason.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

That's crazy. But I do believe that the Pats have cheated, the NFL covered up the extent, and yet remain Goodell's favored franchise.

I also believe that the NFL wagged their finger at Belichick and said "Bad coach, no more cheating!" But the Hoodie still reaches into his bag of tricks when needed.

Edited by PromoTheRobot