Bills better off surrounding Taylor than replacing him?

dezertbill

All season, the thought process for acquiring draft picks was to be ready to find our next Jim Kelly in the 2018 draft.

Now? I'm not so sure.

This franchise is laser focused on creating a "team" rather than acquiring talent. Sure, we all want a stud QB. But the first half of this season proves what many of us thought after last year....2016 wasn't Taylor's fault.

Last season, the Bills finished 10th in points scored amongst the entire NFL. Mind you, 12 teams made the playoffs. TT also has scored 20 or more points in Buffalo's last 13 home games, a team record (including the Jim Kelly Era.)

Taylor also had the 5th least amount of interceptions thrown last season by QB's with over 300 attempts. Through seven games in 2017 he has the 3rd least amount of INT's for QB's with over 150 attempts, behind Alex Smith and Tom Brady. Both of those guys are pretty good.

In otherwords, Taylor led offenses can score and not make costly mistakes.

All this, with a "who is that" core of WRs. Not only this year's crop of No Names, but years past with Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins who have proven themselves to be nothing worth writing home about.

Playing with Jared Goff (last year's number one overall pick) Woods has 381 yards through 7 games, similar to his 613 yards in 13 games last season with Buffalo. Watkins only has 264 yards in 7 games, trailing last years total of 430 yards in 8 games.

Mind you, Watkin's sole 1000 yard season was with Taylor behind center.

Taylor is not the problem. The solution, however, is Coach McDermott's stifling defense and "all-in" mentality that has taken over everyone including the janitor at One Bills Drive.

This year, TT is on track for 17 TD's and 5 INT's. That's after averaging 18 TD's and 6 INT's through his first two years as Bills starter. He didn't pop into a phone booth this past August and fly out with a "Super T" on his chest. This is the same guy.

The same guy who makes minimal mistakes with his mindboggling escapability in the pocket. Taylor avoids sure-fire sacks with joy-stick like footwork. (I will admit some of those escapes I compare him to Superman).

Then you add in Buffalo's new regime and talent evaluators. Tredavious White at pick 27 is pretty phenomenal. Dion Dawkins in the 2nd has already started and held his own. Matt Milano in the 5th? 'nuff said.

Heck, we even had fans calling for 5th round draft pick Nathan Peterman to replace TT after a great pre-season.

Last, but not least, is the chemistry that Coach McDermott has created with this team. While adding talent to any roster is important; chemistry, attitude, and "buying in" is more important than talent. Just ask Watkins, Darby, and Dareus.

The Bills have shown that this Bills "Team" can win with Tyrod. Using the multitude of draft choices to surround TT and add to our defense rather than trading a slew of picks and trading up to bring in a "big arm" for the sake of hoping we find our next Jim Kelly looks to be the right answer.

...and I don't think there is a man on the 63 who would disagree.

Edited by dezertbill

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the process is legit I think you have to go best player available, moving only in a rare situation that you highly value someone that fits the identity of the team you are trying to build. I dont think you stockpile 6 picks in the first 3 rounds just to turn 3 or 4 of them into 1 player.

Far less talented quarterbacks have guided their teams far into the playoffs even to the super bowl. If Rex Grossman started in a super bowl theres no reason Tyrod couldnt.

Edited by Chugga

If the process is legit I think you have to go best player available, moving only in a rare situation that you highly value someone that fits the identity of the team you are trying to build. I dont think you stockpile 6 picks in the first 3 rounds just to turn 3 or 4 of them into 1 player.

Far less talented quarterbacks have guided their teams far into the playoffs even to the super bowl. If Rex Grossman started in a super bowl theres no reason Tyrod couldnt.

Alot of times that pretty much the point of stockpiling picks. Have the ammo to get who you want. Edited by PABillsfan23

Bills made plenty of moves in 2017 draft. I think they will be looking again for specific players not BPA

I think our ceiling with Taylor is basically Alex Smith.

He will win us a lot of games in the regular season but once we get in the playoffs where teams are better and can force him to stay in the pocket and beat him with his arm, we will be in trouble and exit quickly.

If the goal is to simply make the playoffs year in and year out, then stick with Taylor. With the glut of high end draft talent we can get next year, a few saavy FA pickups and the good defense playing complement to Taylor's not turning the ball over mentality, we can win a lot of games.

If it's to win the Super Bowl then we need to find someone better.

Taylor isn't bad...he's actually pretty good when the defense isn't giving up 25 point a game like last year...he just has some limitations that will hinder us in some games when he is forced to carry the load.

Edited by matter2003

It feels like an odd season, with things up for grabs, and a change in the power structures within divisions.

These Bills are good, and I expect them to make the playoffs. I just don't expect them to go far.

Get a QB if there is an opportunity to get a prospect you rate highly. Don't blow it.

I think our ceiling with Taylor is basically Alex Smith.

He will win us a lot of games in the regular season but once we get in the playoffs where teams are better and can force him to stay in the pocket and beat him with his arm, we will be in trouble and exit quickly.

If the goal is to simply make the playoffs year in and year out, then stick with Taylor. With the glut of high end draft talent we can get next year, a few saavy FA pickups and the good defense playing complement to Taylor's not turning the ball over mentality, we can win a lot of games.

If it's to win the Super Bowl then we need to find someone better.

Taylor isn't bad...he's actually pretty good when the defense isn't giving up 25 point a game like last year...he just has some limitations that will hinder us in some games when he is forced to carry the load.

I think i would need to see TT actually lose in the playoffs in that fashion before I stated it as fact

I think i would need to see TT actually lose in the playoffs in that fashion before I stated it as fact

We've already seen it happen enough times what happens when Taylor is forced to stay in the pocket, and it isn't pretty.

Just draft a QB early no matter what then make him battle Tyrod for the job, either takes it year 1 or 2 eitherway we end up with a winner. 165 yard QB should be easy to replace.

Well he isn't a 165 yard QB for one. For two yeah draft someone, but don't use everything you have to do so. For three, said someone wouldn't necessarily beat out Tyrod in either year 1 or year 2.

Well he isn't a 165 yard QB for one. For two yeah draft someone, but don't use everything you have to do so. For three, said someone wouldn't necessarily beat out Tyrod in either year 1 or year 2.

I just want a bigger talent at QB. Got my fingers crossed for Rosen.

Haha, 165 get ya mad? He needs to do better man, I have one leg on the wagon of support for him right now I'm not sure I will ever throw that other leg on because of how well our D is helping him this season.

Of course if Tyrod keeps improving and gets us to round1 of the playoffs then we need to keep him or sell big, eitherway we need to draft big at QB in 2018 for the future. I want a true franchise worthy QB one that can hit a 300 game without a OT quarter something Tyrod has yet to do. If Tyrod stays for 2018 he will cost a bunch but by 2019 the rook will be more then ready to take over and that money can be used on other positions. IMO

Edited by xRUSHx

TT on the Cards seems like a no-brainer. Arians loves the long-ball, Taylor's wheelhouse, and with TT you dont get the Palmer sacks, TO's, you add TT's rushing yards vs Palmers zero and you pair him with a returning David Johnson. If you are the Cards do want to go another season with a Palmer injury waiting to happen? Just a crazy thought about a 2018 first day draft trade by Beane. It isn't like he's afraid to make a bold move. So would you trade TT for a top 15 guy and have 2 more first rd picks? Or is the thought of trading TT for a no. 1 ridiculous?

Edited by billsfan714

I just want a bigger talent at QB. Got my fingers crossed for Rosen.

Haha, 165 get ya mad? He needs to do better man, I have one leg on the wagon of support for him right now I'm not sure I will ever throw that other leg on because of how well our D is helping him this season.

Of course if Tyrod keeps improving and gets us to round1 of the playoffs then we need to keep him or sell big, eitherway we need to draft big at QB in 2018 for the future. I want a true franchise worthy QB one that can hit a 300 game without a OT quarter something Tyrod has yet to do. If Tyrod stays for 2018 he will cost a bunch but by 2019 the rook will be more then ready to take over and that money can be used on other positions. IMO

We should get someone. I just don't want to see them dump their entire draft on 1 guy. I mean if the one guy is a sure next great QB and everyone knows it fine, but if that's the case I don't think the team is moving off the spot.

No not mad. Its just that he isn't a 165 yard QB.

Just because Tyrod hasn't done it doesn't mean he can't. I am not saying that he is our franchise QB for the next 10 years or anything, but I think he is playing very good this season. He isn't asked to do all that much, but in 5 out of 7 games he has been effective at doing everything he has been asked.

Sure he only got 165 yards this week. He seen short fields, had plays taken away, and we had such a lead that they simply stopped throwing the ball for an entire quarter. How many yards can one expect? Bottom line is when they asked him to throw the football he was good at it. 20 of 27 is almost 75% completion rate. He made almost no mistakes. Asking anything better is asking him to be the best QB to ever play the game of football. Now he just needs to do that almost every week and really, so far he has most weeks.

Aaron Rodgers didn't either and that is not all bad.

Which is why I think keeping Tyrod beyond this year would be a good thing. Yes, go get your guy. Let him develop though. Build up the team. Put him in a good situation like Dak and Watson has. Like Goff now has. He will come into a really good defense, but they can still get him some better targets and shore up the oline for him. In the meantime Tyrod can keep us going until he is ready. For all we know Peterman could turn into that guy.

Edited by Scott7975