Playoffs? Playoffs?? The Playoff Chances Thread

you mean greater than 99% ???

I think he had to mean that. But even that is an overstatement. Still pretty good odds, though.

Edited by The Dean

@PFF

Win-Loss predictions for every NFL team

With the midpoint of the season approaching, it’s time to run the PFF analytics on what the rest of the season will look like. Using our PFF data we are going to project wins for every NFL team with input from the grading as well as strength of schedule going forward.

These wins are rooted heavily in our data that produces the PFFELO rankings each week, and has proven to have a very strong indicator to win probability. So here is where we have every team projected by the end of the season.

(5-2) BUFFALO BILLS: 9.9 WINS

Strength of Schedule to date: 18th

Remaining Strength of Schedule: 16th

The Bills are 5-2 right now and 4-1 over their past five games, and while getting to 10 wins would be doubling their win total, it would see them lose twice the number of games down the stretch as they have lost to date. This is still a team in flux, as their multiple moves around the trade deadline shows.

Way too early for playoff talk. The team has had some hot starts before in 2008 in 2011, they were even 4-2 last year. Take care of business against the Jets on the road and then I think you can start to get a little more excited. The Bills could easily lose against the Jets. The Jets are 3-5, they aren't very good but they aren't a complete doormat and this is a road game, its always hard to win on the road in the NFL.

A playoff team does not miss the opportunity to get fat and beat a divisional opponent. Division record is a huge tie breaker and it always hurts to drop a road game.

Way too early for playoff talk. The team has had some hot starts before in 2008 in 2011, they were even 4-2 last year. Take care of business against the Jets on the road and then I think you can start to get a little more excited. The Bills could easily lose against the Jets. The Jets are 3-5, they aren't very good but they aren't a complete doormat and this is a road game, its always hard to win on the road in the NFL.

A playoff team does not miss the opportunity to get fat and beat a divisional opponent. Division record is a huge tie breaker and it always hurts to drop a road game.

Does any of that matter at all in 2017?

Unpopular Opinions: Three Fresh (and Plausible) Potential Super Bowl LII Matchups

-- Buffalo Bills vs. Minnesota Vikings. These are two of the most hard-luck NFL franchises when it comes to Super Bowl futility. The Vikings took turns being beaten by all of the best AFC teams of the 1970s: the Steelers, Raiders, Dolphins and Chiefs. The Bills lost four Super Bowls in the 1990s. Somebody would have to win this one. (I mean, they would, right?) This would also be fun because Buffalo quarterback Tyrod Taylor is one of the best players in the league nobody is talking about. Billscoach Sean McDermott makes Eddie Guns look like Screech. And could you imagine a better story than the Vikings' Teddy Bridgewater returning from a horrific knee injury to be the first quarterback to start a Super Bowl in his home stadium?

The only two teams that I fear matching up with in the playoffs are the jaguars and their aggressive defense much like ours. And the chiefs because their offense is a lot like ours.

Other than that I can't see matchups where they're not even.

If Bills beat the Jets and Saints, then beat the Colts and sweep the Dolphins, 5 winnable games, our playoff odds are <99%.

Really, Vinnie?

Keeping things conservative, I picked wins against the Saints, Chargers, Dolphins (x2), and Colts. Which gave us a 48% chance of making the playoffs. If we win those AND add just one victory against the Raiders, Jets, Chiefs or Patriots (x2), it says we have a >95% of making the playoffs.

Nice :beer:

I think the Saints are one of the top teams in the league. I think we will make the playoffs, but I don't see the Saints game as a conservative pick or likely win. Colts and Dolphins x2 for sure. And we should win tonight.

The only two teams that I fear matching up with in the playoffs are the jaguars and their aggressive defense much like ours. And the chiefs because their offense is a lot like ours.

Other than that I can't see matchups where they're not even.

Not the Steelers? Football Outsiders has them as the best team in the league (I think) and well balanced. I'd love to get to the playoffs and not have to play them or the Chiefs in the first round.

I think the Saints are one of the top teams in the league. I think we will make the playoffs, but I don't see the Saints game as a conservative pick or likely win. Colts and Dolphins x2 for sure. And we should win tonight.

Not the Steelers? Football Outsiders has them as the best team in the league (I think) and well balanced. I'd love to get to the playoffs and not have to play them or the Chiefs in the first round.

the Steelers are not consistent enough for me to buy in yet.

I could just as easily see them collapse and flounder as I could strap it up and dominate. And I sure as hell hope they fail and Tomlin gets exposed for the douche he is.

Temporary setback. They are going to make it this year. You can only lose a game once, not a disaster despite the ugliness.

It's hard not to find an area of the game tonight that wasn't a total disaster.

It all went to hell at the same time on the same night. That might prove to be a blessing!

Get it all out of our system and roll it up into 1 bad loss.

Temporary setback. They are going to make it this year. You can only lose a game once, not a disaster despite the ugliness.

Afraid not. Other than the Colts at home (and Dolphins at home? Depends on how they look the next few weeks), this was the game in which we'll probably be most heavily favored the rest of the season. You needed this one. That's why playoff chances dropped 20% in one fell swoop.

Afraid not. Other than the Colts at home (and Dolphins at home? Depends on how they look the next few weeks), this was the game in which we'll probably be most heavily favored the rest of the season. You needed this one. That's why playoff chances dropped 20% in one fell swoop.

Agreed 100%. If I'm not mistaken, had we won last night, our playoff chances would have jumped to 80%?

Jesus. 80% to 43%. One loss.

Yesterday's loss hurt. Hurt so bad in so many ways. I'm praying we bounce back but our task at hand just got tremendously more difficult.