Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use some paprika, garlic powder, onion, brown sugar, a little seasoned salt. Any other recommendations?

maybe some chili powder or Cayenne for a little more kick if you like it spicy.

Also never underestimate some herbs. Cumin, thyme and rosemary can be added as well but recommend experimenting before trying them on a full rack. Start with something like chicken breast.

Edited by The Wiz

It's as if Doug Whaley never existed. Love it!

Dilly dilly

We'll see how stout the remaining 4 DTs are beginning tomorrow against the OAK OL.

Why cant we use the past 2/3 of the 6 games that Marcel has failed to play defensively? Why does it have to be based off of one game to which he would have only seen 1/3 of defensive snaps?

I smell agenda...

Just curious. Where do you get this stuff? What is your evidence he wasn't "buying in"?

I hate to reveal my sources, but google Marcell Dareus and see how many times you find mention of a lack of discipline, commitment, urgency, etc. "Buying in" can mean different things to different people, but I think McDermott spelled it out pretty clearly here:

"At times. I'm going to be very honest about it -- at times. At other times, not really," McDermott told Pelissero about seeing urgency out of Dareus. "This bus is moving and at the end of this year, we're going to have a pretty good feel for who's on the bus and who's not, and everyone knows that, I would hope. So, I would hope they've seen that from the moves we've made and the direction we're heading, the mindset we're embracing and the devoted mindset you need to have to win in this league. We're going in a certain direction for a certain reason, and we play and do things with a purpose. People that have that common purpose and want to share that common purpose, they'll be here."

I hate to reveal my sources, but google Marcell Dareus and see how many times you find mention of a lack of discipline, commitment, urgency, etc. "Buying in" can mean different things to different people, but I think McDermott spelled it out pretty clearly here:

"At times. I'm going to be very honest about it -- at times. At other times, not really," McDermott told Pelissero about seeing urgency out of Dareus. "This bus is moving and at the end of this year, we're going to have a pretty good feel for who's on the bus and who's not, and everyone knows that, I would hope. So, I would hope they've seen that from the moves we've made and the direction we're heading, the mindset we're embracing and the devoted mindset you need to have to win in this league. We're going in a certain direction for a certain reason, and we play and do things with a purpose. People that have that common purpose and want to share that common purpose, they'll be here."

I'd say "nothing to see here" in terms of evidence that Marcel hasn't "bought into" the program, or is a "cancer" in the locker room. I know Googling it will get lots of results, but no real evidence, except rumor. Beane also just said, "... "I give Marcell a lot of credit. I thought he made huge strides of late..." , so there's that.

I'm not arguing he WAS buying in. I just think, before we simply echo things that are in the ether, but unsubstantiated, we give them a proper vetting . But I guess that is far too much to expect from mooks posting on a sports (or political) Internet forum. (And, I suppose I qualify as one of those "mooks".)

Just curious. Where do you get this stuff? What is your evidence he wasn't "buying in"?

Very good question.

One thing I am not buying into is a process that results in trading someone who is a difference maker for a 6th round pick whether that guy is "buying in" or not.

Let's put this all in perspective. Before the compensation was known, take a look at what the expectation was for what we would receive by re-reading the 11th post in this string.

To argue that a 6th round pick is some kind of huge victory seems laughable. Trading him to Doug Marrone's team for a 6th round pick is depressing.

P.S. I wonder if the Steelers will get more than a 6th round pick for Martavis Bryant. That would be really depressing.

Edited by Peter

I'd say "nothing to see here" in terms of evidence that Marcel hasn't "bought into" the program, or is a "cancer" in the locker room. I know Googling it will get lots of results, but no real evidence, except rumor. Beane also just said, "... "I give Marcell a lot of credit. I thought he made huge strides of late..." , so there's that.

I'm not arguing he WAS buying in. I just think, before we simply echo things that are in the ether, but unsubstantiated, we give them a proper vetting . But I guess that is far too much to expect from mooks posting on a sports (or political) Internet forum. (And, I suppose I qualify as one of those "mooks".)

The statement from his own HC is evidence enough for me. They also said things like "He's not a bad guy," and "now he'll get a fresh start." Teams shouldn't feel the need to say things like that about their highest paid player. I wouldn't be surprised if Dareus says something in the next week or so to remove all doubt.

good riddance.

yes it hurts big time in the short term carrying all that dead money.

but his attitude was cancerous. habitual late for meetings, suspensions, out of shape injuries, kicked off team/sent home.

it was a salary dump plain and simple

Just seeing this. At first I was shocked by only a 6th rounder for the 3rd overall pick in his year. Now that I think about it, that 6th rounder can be packaged with a higher round pick to move WAY up. I like this, especially with the cap space freed up.

Here is the bottom line: Doesn't matter if you like the trade, or hate the trade. The compensation received for a player of the caliber and age of Dareus is one of the most lopsided trades ever. People can chime in all they want about cap space saved, but you still save the same cap space if we trade him for more or better draft picks.

And in terms of this year, we are a team with the longest playoff drought in the NFL and sitting on a 4-2 record. We have some talented QB's ahead of us on our schedule and future cap space and a future 6th round pick isn't going to help us beat those QB's and teams, but Dareus would have. Yes its been a slow start with him being in the dog house and then not being healthy. But he had a good game last week and looked to be back on track moving forward.

So if all we got was a measly 6th round pick, we SHOULD HAVE waited until the offseason where we could have gotten the same 6th round pick or most likely better if Dareus stayed on the field the rest the season. I have no issue trading, just a BIG issue with the measly compensation not making it worth doing now vs the offseason.

Dareus had a good final five minutes last week. He sucked the rest of the game. Especially when it came to getting off the ball quick and providing pressure on passing downs. He was content with playing paddy cake with the OLmen otherwise.

Dareus had a good final five minutes last week. He sucked the rest of the game. Especially when it came to getting off the ball quick and providing pressure on passing downs. He was content with playing paddy cake with the OLmen otherwise.

But he took up space and had two blockers on him!!!! Thats all he needs to do in this system and he did it well!!!

(Thats the argument I keep hearing so I propose we sign a 7ft x 5ft stack of phone books and just leave it sitting in the moddle of the D line. That would take up space)

But he took up space and had two blockers on him!!!! Thats all he needs to do in this system and he did it well!!!

(Thats the argument I keep hearing so I propose we sign a 7ft x 5ft stack of phone books and just leave it sitting in the moddle of the D line. That would take up space)

Like I asked earlier today, are any of those touting Dareus' importance because he takes on double teams the same people who bitched incessantly about him having to do that in Ryan's scheme at times?