Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

The reason that reality shows exist is because the dumb public eats it up.

An incident like this becomes public and like this thread, the dumb posters, myself included, eat this up. Just as many people come on a thread like this to biotch about biotches.

I don't know the particulars of this incident but it is very likely that the Texans players saw this on social media. Got pissed. Decided not to walk out in full but play anyway. Hopkins chose not to. They didn't go to the media they went to practice. the media covering the team noticed Hopkins not there and rightfully asked why. The team said personal reasons. Guys like Schefter dove deeper. They discovered it was about the McNair quote. The players didn't say look at me the media did. And that is their job.

They reported it and we ate it up. It's our fault as much as anyone's. If we don't eat they don't write.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not just the racial insensitivity of the remark, which is pretty obvious, especially for the large number of player who grew up in the South. Its the idea of the owners having the same sort of power relationship over the players as a prison warden over the inmates. The NFL talks a lot about its partnership with the players, and this flies in the face of that.

Generally speaking, the person signing your paycheck does have a power relationship over you.

Okay. So race is a hot button issue right now. Seems like folks are more comfortable lately voicing "controversial" opinions, and also folks are uber sensitive to such comments as well. I'm not trying to get all political here at all.

I don't know if McNair is a racist or not. What I do know is that he made a not so smart comment at a really bad time. I don't think the saying "we can't have the inmates running the prison" is racist, necessarily. I have heard it used at work (in schools) referring to classroom/school discipline. I think the Texans have something good going. Houston has also been devastated by tragedy. I hope this doesn't ruin their season.

People might give this McNair guy the 'figure of speech' benefit of the doubt if he didn't invest millions of dollars into getting Trump elected.

Everyone has free speech rights, but everyone will also be held responsible for what they say. Even Bob McNair.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Free speech means having the right to say what you want. But it doesn't give you the right to expect everyone else to listen to you or to agree with you. Frees speech comes with consequences.

good, than keep that idiot Kaepernick off the field, tell Michael Bennett he owes money for slandering LV, tell the whole lot of the idiots that they will loose out on game checks for their nonsense.

How's that for starters?

Damn. I feel like freedom of speech not being the same as freedom of consequences shouldn't be hard for people to understand. Kneel and it may have adverse consequences. Equate NFL players to criminals, it may have adverse consequences. You're free to say and do anything you want; it doesn't mean you're free of any problems that it may create.

Understand now?

My pony is slow.

good, than keep that idiot Kaepernick off the field, tell Michael Bennett he owes money for slandering LV, tell the whole lot of the idiots that they will loose out on game checks for their nonsense.

How's that for starters?

Has Kaepernick been playing? Did I miss it?

And you want to punish people for speaking out or protesting, is that right?

And it's "lose."

Edited by Domdab99

Its not just the racial insensitivity of the remark, which is pretty obvious, especially for the large number of player who grew up in the South. Its the idea of the owners having the same sort of power relationship over the players as a prison warden over the inmates. The NFL talks a lot about its partnership with the players, and this flies in the face of that.

how is it racially insensitive unless you characterize blacks as inmates? Only a racist would do that.

Okay. So race is a hot button issue right now. Seems like folks are more comfortable lately voicing "controversial" opinions, and also folks are uber sensitive to such comments as well. I'm not trying to get all political here at all.

I don't know if McNair is a racist or not. What I do know is that he made a not so smart comment at a really bad time. I don't think the saying "we can't have the inmates running the prison" is racist, necessarily. I have heard it used at work (in schools) referring to classroom/school discipline. I think the Texans have something good going. Houston has also been devastated by tragedy. I hope this doesn't ruin their season.

I dont think it matters if the comment is racist or not. The players are being told in no uncertain terms that their owner thinks of them as prisoners. Many of them likely feel there is a racial element to that (realistically would McNair have used that comment if he owned a hockey team? I doubt it), but thats just in addition to how bad the comment is on its own.

Edited by HappyDays

IMO, someone would have to be overly sensitive to take that expression as having a racial connotation.

I feel like it's pretty simple--McNair was saying that they can't let the players dictate how they run their organization. Now, that's a debatable stance for him to take, but I think that people getting their feathers ruffled over the idiom that he uttered--which is clearly overshadowing the discussion regarding whether or not what he meant has merit--is a rather large overreaction.

Generally speaking, the person signing your paycheck does have a power relationship over you.

That is true to varying degrees. But in any case, its not a great idea to call attention to it, especially in the middle of a very sensitive negotiation.

My pony is slow.

Has Kaepernick been playing? Did I miss it?

nope and by your argument he shouldn't be playing and there is nothing wrong with the NFL not wanting him based on his viewpoints and off the field life alone.

Well done. You just had your argument throwm back at you.

I love exposing hypocrisy

I dont think it matters if the comment is racist or not. The players are being told in no uncertain terms that their owner thinks of them as prisoners. Many of them likely feel there is a racial element to that (realistically would McNair have used that comment if he owned a hockey team? I doubt it), but thats just in addition to how bad the comment is on its own.

It's a bone headed comment but it's a very, very common phrase. I don't think the owner thinks of them as criminals, it's just a phrase.

Why is it sad though? How does it effect you?

Am I the only one that just doesn't care about this stuff? I keep seeing these threads get started on a weekly basis and 75% of you guys just talk in circles. I don't watch or follow football for it's politics. I also don't care if the players kneel. I don't care if there are flyovers. I watch football to be entertained by the sport, not by it's fans and their political persuasions. It's not like I don't have my own ideologies, but lately I have tried as hard as I can to separate them entirely from watching football.

This is pretty much how I feel with the exception of trying to separate the protests from the game- I just don't care one way or the other...the game is the game and that is all that matters to me. Edited by JaCrispy

nope and by your argument he shouldn't be playing and there is nothing wrong with the NFL not wanting him based on his viewpoints and off the field life alone.

Well done. You just had your argument throwm back at you.

I love exposing hypocrisy

lol what?

I didn't say he shouldn't be playing, I said that his words and actions have consequences. Even if those consequences are unfair.

You know what, never mind. I'm backing slowly away from you and will not engage again. My bad. You remind me of someone I once knew who was a blithering idiot. Not that I'm comparing you to him, of course. I would never do that.

Nope. Wouldn't do it.

Edited by Domdab99

The reason that reality shows exist is because the dumb public eats it up.

An incident like this becomes public and like this thread, the dumb posters, myself included, eat this up. Just as many people come on a thread like this to biotch about biotches.

I don't know the particulars of this incident but it is very likely that the Texans players saw this on social media. Got pissed. Decided not to walk out in full but play anyway. Hopkins chose not to. They didn't go to the media they went to practice. the media covering the team noticed Hopkins not there and rightfully asked why. The team said personal reasons. Guys like Schefter dove deeper. They discovered it was about the Adams quote. The players didn't say look at me the media did. And that is their job.

They reported it and we ate it up. It's our fault as much as anyone's. If we don't eat they don't write.

this is but one of the things that are really screwed up with our society today. the media's job is not to incite though it would seem that is what they are adept at. whether by design or an oblivious side effect, there is an agenda. not necessarily by sports reporters in general but by the collective conglomerate network news that is fed to Joe and Betty Six-pack.

one need only to view these things with an objective eye and ask why is an item being pushed/why is an item not being reported on. it's plain as day if you choose to see it.