Why are MNF ratings low this season?

CodeMonkey

MNF popularity  

203 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main reason for the decline in MNF ratings this season?

• Lack of interest in the teams playing.
    • General decrease in popularity of tackle football.
    • Anthem protests.
    • Other (post reason in topic)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which makes it more believable that fans are tuning out because they don't care to watch these millionaire babies whining about being treated unfairly.

And that still doesn't take away from the fact that the news article is incorrect and players have been in the sidelines for the anthem for a long time now.

Since I now know why political side of the fence you stand on. I can just stop arguing with you now. Because you are way too stupid, arrogant, and ignorant to ever believe that someone else can be right.

Good day

And here is one more reason why the NFL is a mess- too politically correct. Football is supposed to be a place where we can put politics aside, enjoy a cold one together, talk about guy stuff and leave the other nonsense alone. Its entertainment yet we are all letting it become something else.

I think it's at least due to over saturation of the NFL product. With Thursday Night, Sunday Night and Sunday Ticket.....even a football fanatic like me is about done on Monday Night.

If I was the league I would dump Thursday night next year.

And Monday night- shift to Friday night and I dont care if their is HS or College ball going on.

You're half right, so stop speaking so matter-of-factly. The DOD DID indeed pay the NFL beginning in 2009 to have entire teams on the field for the anthem.

"while it is true NFL players were not required to be on the field for the national anthem before 2009, they have always had the option to stand on the sidelines during the playing of The Star-Spangled Banner. - Snopes

It was optional.

well, I've been going to games since 1988 or before that I can remember and since then, I've never not seen a team out on the field for the national anthem.

Probably because he had to stay up past his bed time.

But in all seriousness, wasn't it because of all the drinking and driving and felt they weren't conducive to fan safety?

Yes. Forget what year but some drunk crawled out in the cable that held up the net behind the goalposts. Could have killed himself. And Ralph said no moreMonday night games. Took years to change his mind.

Let me articulate it a better way, every year the same teams are guaranteed a MNF games including Chicago for example who has had some pretty teams in recent years. Hence what I mean with bad matchups. Bills aren't guaranteed anything although they just had one last year against Seattle.

But yes every team should get a game on MNF or they should flex MNF and have the ability to change the game if come Nov/Dec one or both team playing has a bad record.

Bills only got MNF because of the Rex appeal, McDermott is no draw.

And flexing games is not a trivial matter, i can only imagine the associated cost and what about the people that plan trips around these games.

Last night's matchup, Indianapolis at Tennessee, was only appealing to people in...Indianapolis and Nashville. Neither team with a hint of a national following.

BTW, is there a bigger "I don't care" division in football than the AFC South?

And here is one more reason why the NFL is a mess- too politically correct. Football is supposed to be a place where we can put politics aside, enjoy a cold one together, talk about guy stuff and leave the other nonsense alone. Its entertainment yet we are all letting it become something else.

you are absolutely correct about that. In fact, I made a pretty long FB post about it after all the crap started this season regarding the kneeling.

I value others opinions to do it, but then again, I have the same right to call that person a scumbag for it. It shows a lack of respect for the people that have sacrificed their lives for that right.

But at the end of the day, football is not politics. It is not something where people should be making political "stances". It's a time to forget all that crap as fans of the sport. And for the players, it is their job. I couldn't go into my work place and outright refuse to do what my superiors ask of me. There's no reason why these players should get held to any other standard.

Now that I'm done, I'm assuming this will be moved to PPP. Your all welcome.

Last night's matchup, Indianapolis at Tennessee, was only appealing to people in...Indianapolis and Nashville. Neither team with a hint of a national following.

Obviously not a division, but the state of Florida in general doesn't seem to care much about NFL Football

They're getting close to saturation IMO. Monday Night used to be special because it was, well...Monday night. Now you've got Sunday Night, Thursday Night, etc...it's not a marquee spot anymore.

^^^ This .

No there isnt, it has been absolutely dreadful for years and i live in Houston BUT you will start to care if D Watson keeps playing like he has. He looks to have the entire package.

1) Capricious and erratic enforcement of rules by officials makes many of these "primetime games" unwatchable

2) The "average Joe" is turned off by players making $20 million per season who sit out because they have a sore ankle or tummy ache

3) The protests turned some people off

4) The announcers typically suck balls...everything is over-analyzed in a politically correct way and done so as not to offend the Patriots

5) Far too many commercials

6) Commercialization of the product (beer, cleats, towels, underwear, gloves, golf carts, headphones, etc).

7) Parity

But yeah, I still watch it when nothing else is on.

Nailed it, especially number 4 - I also think people aren't as likely to watch on Monday night as opposed to Sunday night. Just given the general weekday, and the fact that from a West Coast perspective the game is on from ~5-8 ish. A lot of people have kids and weekday post-work/school life going on that win out over teams that aren't theirs.

you are absolutely correct about that. In fact, I made a pretty long FB post about it after all the crap started this season regarding the kneeling.

I value others opinions to do it, but then again, I have the same right to call that person a scumbag for it. It shows a lack of respect for the people that have sacrificed their lives for that right.

But at the end of the day, football is not politics. It is not something where people should be making political "stances". It's a time to forget all that crap as fans of the sport. And for the players, it is their job. I couldn't go into my work place and outright refuse to do what my superiors ask of me. There's no reason why these players should get held to any other standard.

Now that I'm done, I'm assuming this will be moved to PPP. Your all welcome.

Amen, brother- and as a retired vet I just wanna enjoy a day at the stadium with my family, friends, and even the other fans if behaved. Its our chance to come together and forget all the nonsense.

Lots of factors. I've witnessed plenty of personal friends walk away from football over the last 10 years (well before the recent anthem protests).

Here are some of the reasons I've heard from people:

- Rule changes that have taken away the "big hits" and "manliness" of the game, while emphasizing passing offense above all else.

- Greediness of owners, constantly moving teams (even when there is support like Cleveland) and raising ticket prices.

- Poor disciplinary action for players who are beating their girlfriends, doing drugs, getting DUIs, etc...

- Thursday Night Football has oversaturated the market. There used to be a 6 day wait to build excitement for games. But no more.

- The Patriots cheating debacle, and the fact everyone outside of Boston is tired of them.

- Fantasy football has created more excitement in stats and box score watching, while fans care less about who is actually winning games.

Amen, brother- and as a retired vet I just wanna enjoy a day at the stadium with my family, friends, and even the other fans if behaved. Its our chance to come together and forget all the nonsense.

What really irritates me is their arrogance, like they are so special, their opinions and voice need to be heard. They have a captive audience and abused the privilege. Same thing with actors, their opinions have no more validity than any shmoe walking down the street. How about Jane Fonda, Jessica Lange and Sissy Spacek all testifying in front of Congress about farming because they portrayed farmers in movies. Or Kevin Kostner lecturing us about oil spill after Macando. How about Sean Penn kissing Chavez;'s ass, brutal dictator that has victimized an entire country.