Why are MNF ratings low this season?

CodeMonkey

MNF popularity  

203 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main reason for the decline in MNF ratings this season?

• Lack of interest in the teams playing.
    • General decrease in popularity of tackle football.
    • Anthem protests.
    • Other (post reason in topic)

For me it is NFL Red Zone.

After watching a Sunday full of football with no commercials or downtime, it is almost impossible to watch a regularly televised game.

I think Red Zone is also taking away from game attendance and Sunday viewership as well

Great point, some prime time games have been quite literally unwatchable this season.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the same post as saying you think a lot of games are being tuned out because of some terrible matchups, you actually contradict yourself in saying that every team should get a Monday night game. If that wasn't the dumbest thing I've ever heard of I have no idea what it.

There are plenty of teams that don't deserve to be on prime time. The only reason why they would be is because it's a division game and the NFL sometimes throws bad teams and bad towns a bone. Other than that, it's not happening.

Let me articulate it a better way, every year the same teams are guaranteed a MNF games including Chicago for example who has had some pretty teams in recent years. Hence what I mean with bad matchups. Bills aren't guaranteed anything although they just had one last year against Seattle.

But yes every team should get a game on MNF or they should flex MNF and have the ability to change the game if come Nov/Dec one or both team playing has a bad record.

its fake and bull ****. Guess you never went to a game pre 2009.

2001 players held a giant flag over the field, the size of the field, before the game. Jets or Patriots were opponents. And several times I remember watching them on the sidelines. Other times they came out after.

I remember lawyer Milloy bills/pats was anthem after players.

I haven't been to a Bills game or any other since the late 90's.

I still think this was all a big post 9-11 event and corporations are making profit from it.

this is all false. Did you not watch Super Bowl 25 and all the Bills standing on the sidelines. Images of hundreds and hundreds of people crying as Whitney Houston sang the best version of the National Anthem ever?

How about every Super Bowl before that or after?

You don't go to many games do you? Because I've had season tickets since 2006 and I've been going to games since the late 80s and I can say that I have ALWAYS seen them play the anthem and be on the sidelines for it.

Jesus don't you guys read?

I mentioned 2001 and the Super Bowl as exceptions

Where were the players when the anthem was being played? It was in the CNN article that they were in the locker room at the time.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I think it's a combination of the anthem protests along with the games that were chosen to be shown this year. I know quite a few people, at least 30 that I can think of off top, who aren't watching the NFL due to the protests. Most of them real fans and not just the casual watcher of the game types. I haven't been watching because I'm not really interested in the games that have been on.

I haven't been to a Bills game or any other since the late 90's.

I still think this was all a big post 9-11 event and corporations are making profit from it.

Jesus don't you guys read?

I mentioned 2001 and the Super Bowl as exceptions

Where were the players when the anthem was being played? It was in the CNN article that they were in the locker room at the time.

i didn't need to read it because I've seen all the false reports since all this crap started.

I've been going to games for almost 30 years. They've been playing the anthem and they've been on the field for it. Simple as that. They come out of the tunnel. Run around and get rowdy. Then the anthem plays. Then the coin toss. Then they kickoff. Has been that way as far as I can remember.

But if you don't go to games and you watch in TV I can see why. Because before all this crap started, the only time they ever showed the anthem in tv was in a big game like the SB or when they trotted everyone out to hold up the huge American flags across the field.

But if you want to keep thinking CNN news is gospel, by all means, don't let me ruin your ignorance.

SNF is bigger and better. MNF has had a succession of trash matchups. As an international viewer I am probably not includee in the figures anyway... but why would I stay up / get up at 1.30am on a work night to watch Tennessee vs Indi? I just download the 40 minute version before I leave for work and watch it on the train on my way to the office.

I have got up for 4 TNFs and 2 SNFs so far this season, but zero MNFs.

i didn't need to read it because I've seen all the false reports since all this crap started.

I've been going to games for almost 30 years. They've been playing the anthem and they've been on the field for it. Simple as that. They come out of the tunnel. Run around and get rowdy. Then the anthem plays. Then the coin toss. Then they kickoff. Has been that way as far as I can remember.

But if you don't go to games and you watch in TV I can see why. Because before all this crap started, the only time they ever showed the anthem in tv was in a big game like the SB or when they trotted everyone out to hold up the huge American flags across the field.

But if you want to keep thinking CNN news is gospel, by all means, don't let me ruin your ignorance.

Which is kind of my point. In person you see it. The Millions that watch on TV who don't attend don't know.

ahh the CNN like is Fake News . Just like the lies from Donny every day of the week.

Which is kind of my point. In person you see it. The Millions that watch on TV who don't attend don't know.

which makes it more believable that fans are tuning out because they don't care to watch these millionaire babies whining about being treated unfairly.

And that still doesn't take away from the fact that the news article is incorrect and players have been in the sidelines for the anthem for a long time now.

ahh the CNN like is Fake News . Just like the lies from Donny every day of the week.

Since I now know why political side of the fence you stand on. I can just stop arguing with you now. Because you are way too stupid, arrogant, and ignorant to ever believe that someone else can be right.

Good day

I will take a crack at it, and in no specific order.

- Greed on the parts of players/owners/league

- Too many rules and some are way over analyzed/complicated

- The constant pass interference calls for tic tac bs light contact

- QB may as well be put on a damn pedestal- you can barely touch them and if you do heaven forbid if the defender is a nano second late

- Injuries are more than we have ever seen due to players being bigger, faster, and stronger. Because of this the league is loaded with parity.

- Monday night games are not the best time to have a prime time game. Like another poster mentioned- Sundays are boss. If the league was smart shift the Monday night game to a Friday night game starting at 730. People would go out for it or stay in and party.

- The kneeling/anthem has taken its toll as well.

Everything in this world will rise and then fall. The NFL is falling and the league has a big problem on its hands. If they dont take a hard look at their rules/business model/ticket prices I expect the downward trend to continue. Disclaimer- these are merely my opinions and how I see it.

which makes it more believable that fans are tuning out because they don't care to watch these millionaire babies whining about being treated unfairly.

And that still doesn't take away from the fact that the news article is incorrect and players have been in the sidelines for the anthem for a long time now.

Since I now know why political side of the fence you stand on. I can just stop arguing with you now. Because you are way too stupid, arrogant, and ignorant to ever believe that someone else can be right.

Good day

You're half right, so stop speaking so matter-of-factly. The DOD DID indeed pay the NFL beginning in 2009 to have entire teams on the field for the anthem.

"while it is true NFL players were not required to be on the field for the national anthem before 2009, they have always had the option to stand on the sidelines during the playing of “The Star-Spangled Banner.” - Snopes

It was optional.

Edited by Chicken Boo