Why are MNF ratings low this season?

CodeMonkey

MNF popularity  

203 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main reason for the decline in MNF ratings this season?

• Lack of interest in the teams playing.
    • General decrease in popularity of tackle football.
    • Anthem protests.
    • Other (post reason in topic)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Capricious and erratic enforcement of rules by officials makes many of these "primetime games" unwatchable

2) The "average Joe" is turned off by players making $20 million per season who sit out because they have a sore ankle or tummy ache

3) The protests turned some people off

4) The announcers typically suck balls...everything is over-analyzed in a politically correct way and done so as not to offend the Patriots

5) Far too many commercials

6) Commercialization of the product (beer, cleats, towels, underwear, gloves, golf carts, headphones, etc).

7) Parity

But yeah, I still watch it when nothing else is on.

Aside from political nonsense with the Anthem, I think it's because they have a lot of terrible matchups.

Every team (yes including the Bills) should get a MNF game regardless of what their record was the year before or what the pundits believe.

Also for a lot of people, especially working families, it's hard to stay up late in most parts of the country because of the time the game is on.

Lack of interest in the teams playing.

Who really watches the anthem? I don't.

Taking the game to ESPN is probable a big reason ratings are down.

It has nothing to do with people watching or not watching the anthem. It has to do with many conservative Americans turning away from the NFL due to a perceived disrespect of the anthem and therefore the military, by some NFL players. In reality, I believe it is a combination of all of the above. The product on the field is watered down and the NFL owners seem a bit out of touch.

Is it only MNF that has lower numbers? I am under the impression that ratings and attendance are down across the board.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

It's all of the above.

The NFL did a great job of locking in the hard core viewer and luring in the casual fan. You push push push on fans and eventually you push them out.

The core football fans will put up with almost everything - ticket prices, idiot players, dumb penalties, terrible guys/gals calling the game, hideous online coverage, bad leadership/decisions by the league, etc. However the casual fan can break away easier and find something else to do.

The anthem thing is damaging and it's not even about that actual act but within that act is a disdain for the fans/customer. The owners and commissioner quickly recognized this and are trying to put a stop to it but the players want it. They are mad that they aren't allowed to upset the customer and just don't get it. What Sterling Sharpe and Greg Jennings said last night was absolutely ignorant. They literally cannot understand how the fans are linked in this.

It has nothing to do with people watching or not watching the anthem. It has to do with many conservative Americans turning away from the NFL due to a perceived disrespect of the anthem and therefore the military, by some NFL players. In reality, I believe it is a combination of all of the above. The product on the field is watered down and the NFL owners seem a bit out of touch.

Is it only MNF that has lower numbers? I am under the impression that ratings and attendance are down across the board.

conservative Americans

perceived disrespect

Q how long has the anthem been part of this great game? 2001?

Fun Fact ( I hope this is a valid story)

http://dailysnark.com/nfl-teams-didnt-stand-national-anthem-2009/

NFL Teams Didn’t Stand For The National Anthem Until 2009

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/us/nfl-national-anthem-trump-kaepernick-history-trnd/index.html

While the anthem continued to be a game-day fixture, NFL players typically stayed in the locker room for it.

There were exceptions, of course -- players observed the anthem after 9/11, and during Super Bowl games.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Aside from political nonsense with the Anthem, I think it's because they have a lot of terrible matchups.

Every team (yes including the Bills) should get a MNF game regardless of what their record was the year before or what the pundits believe.

Also for a lot of people, especially working families, it's hard to stay up late in most parts of the country because of the time the game is on.

in the same post as saying you think a lot of games are being tuned out because of some terrible matchups, you actually contradict yourself in saying that every team should get a Monday night game. If that wasn't the dumbest thing I've ever heard of I have no idea what it.

There are plenty of teams that don't deserve to be on prime time. The only reason why they would be is because it's a division game and the NFL sometimes throws bad teams and bad towns a bone. Other than that, it's not happening.

conservative Americans

perceived disrespect

NFL Teams Didnt Stand For The National Anthem Until 2009

its fake and bull ****. Guess you never went to a game pre 2009.

2001 players held a giant flag over the field, the size of the field, before the game. Jets or Patriots were opponents. And several times I remember watching them on the sidelines. Other times they came out after.

I remember lawyer Milloy bills/pats was anthem after players.

This article says yesterdays game had low ratings, not that every MNF game this year does. Who seriously wanted to watch yesterdays game? I couldnt make it past the 3rd quarter. Better matchups dont have lower ratings than the games last year. Everyones trying to find reasons, I think its simply the quality of play.

conservative Americans

perceived disrespect

NFL Teams Didnt Stand For The National Anthem Until 2009

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/us/nfl-national-anthem-trump-kaepernick-history-trnd/index.html

While the anthem continued to be a game-day fixture, NFL players typically stayed in the locker room for it.

There were exceptions, of course -- players observed the anthem after 9/11, and during Super Bowl games.

this is all false. Did you not watch Super Bowl 25 and all the Bills standing on the sidelines. Images of hundreds and hundreds of people crying as Whitney Houston sang the best version of the National Anthem ever?

How about every Super Bowl before that or after?

You don't go to many games do you? Because I've had season tickets since 2006 and I've been going to games since the late 80s and I can say that I have ALWAYS seen them play the anthem and be on the sidelines for it.