Comparing “The Process” McD to Evil Rex the first 5 games

simpleman

Comparing “The Process” McD to Evil Rex the first 5 games of the season last year

Record 2016 - 3-2

Record 2017 - 3-2

Win streak 2016 Last 3 games - Wins against Cardinals 1-1, Patriots 3-0 & Rams 3-1

Win steak 2017 Last 3 games - Wins against Atlanta 3-0, Denver 2-0 & loss to 1-3 Bengals

And no, I was never a fan of Rex.

McD, Coach of the Year candidate?

Comparing “The Process” McD to Evil Rex the first 5 games of the season last year

Record 2016 - 3-2

Record 2017 - 3-2

Win streak 2016 Last 3 games - Wins against Cardinals 1-1, Patriots 3-0 & Rams 3-1

Win steak 2017 Last 3 games - Wins against Atlanta 3-0, Denver 2-0 & loss to 1-3 Bengals

And no, I was never a fan of Rex.

McD, Coach of the Year candidate?

The Bills have been 3-2 every season since 2014 and we all know how the previous 3 ended up.

And everybody thought there was a magical turn around last year after 0-2 start and we pounded the Cardinals (who were supposed to be a SB caliber team) and we all know how that end up.

As of right now the Broncos and Falcons wins look good, but both those teams might not be anything more than .500 type teams when it's all said and done which is why people need to tap the brakes and see how things play out.

As of right now the Broncos and Falcons wins look good, but both those teams might not be anything more than .500 type teams when it's all said and done which is why people need to tap the brakes and see how things play out.

Why do we do this to ourselves? It happens every year to everybody. Some teams that are expected to do well don't and ones not expected to do well do.

Bottom line: Win 10 games against whoever and you're probably in.

Of course the team record is the bottom line, but to evaluate a coach you need to look at how we got there. Rex inherited a mediocre offense and a top-notch defense. He destroyed the defense and made a slight improvement in the offense. But the team lacked discipline - look at all the dumb penalties and other bonehead plays that occurred under his watch. That team would have floundered indefinitely under Rex.

McD has them playing with discipline. Dumb penalties are almost non-existent, the defense is #1 in opponent scoring, and we have a great turnover ratio. Yeah, we still need a decent offense, but overall, the team is playing smart football. This year might be a wash, but the way they're playing suggests that we'll see improvement in the near future. I don't think they'll flounder under McD.

Coach of the year? Maybe not.

Way better than Rex? Almost certainly so.

I think it's completely different. If it weren't for all the injuries, the Bills could have won yesterday. Yes, there are some MAJOR holes and depth issues (OL, WR, LB, QB, etc), and while the injuries have set the team back and may not recover this year, I believe McBean is changing the culture for the better and producing a good football team. It will take another year or two because not all issues can be fixed in one season.

Why don't you all take it one game at a time before critiquing others for being happy and fans and enjoying a remote possibility that the Bills might be turning it around. We don't need the told you so's.

Its like people just wait in the shadows to snipe the Bills whenever they stumble.

Edited by What a Tuel

My theory is that all NFL teams go through a crisis 2-3x a year-even the really good teams. It usually starts with injuries, some bad luck and perhaps a couple coaching misjudgements. Dealing with it is what determines what happens next, teams that will make the playoffs find a way. I'm guessing this group of coaches has the ability, in the next few weeks, to get through this until the next time we are in crisis. Rex had no idea how to adapt. He was a frontunner and only successful when things were going his way. That is not the current NFL.

Edited by horned dogs

Why don't you all take it one game at a time before critiquing others for being happy and fans and enjoying a remote possibility that the Bills might be turning it around. We don't need the told you so's.

Its like people just wait in the shadows to snipe the Bills whenever they stumble.

....Greenspan called it "irrational exuberance" bud and me thinks OH FER 17 has exacerbated the "irrational" portion....this is not a two repairs and maintenance "fix up".....Pegula opened the checkbook wide to hire probably the best FO/Administration since the Polian years.....the McD hire makes sense as far as a taskmaster hell bent on fixing Loserville......this gang is churning the roster in the same manner as Whaley did looking to get better......but you're sure as hell NOT going to solve ALL personnel problems overnight......when is the last time Buffalo was positioned with SIX picks in the first three rounds of an upcoming draft, including TWO 1sts?.....the yipsters will continue to yip and remain posters versus GM hires ....so you buy popcorn, Bourbon, sit back and read, keeping yourself "amused" with the expert commentary, right?....BTW, Wrecks was a flat out fraud just like his old man and buffet brother...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Rex's staff fixed the offense, but screwed up the defense.

McDermott's staff fixed the defense, but screwed up the offense.

I've often said that most coaches are about the same. Yes, they have different styles and methods. They have different demeanors and systems. But at the end of the day, it's all about how much talent is on the team, and how the talent fits into the scheme that coach decides to run. The main reason Bill Belichick is considered a genius is because he has a Hall of Fame quarterback and he adapts his gameplan to the talent, not the other way around. Most coaching staffs either cannot do this, or refuse to do this.

The current Bills coaches have a different style from the previous staff. Quiet instead of loud. Conservative instead of aggressive. Detailed and organized instead of carefree and fun. We hear about trusting the process, instead of cockiness and bragging. But at the end of the day, are they actually better? Probably not. My guess is that McDermott's squad finishes about the same as every Bills team in the last 5 years. Between 6 and 9 wins. One side of the ball very good. The other side very bad.

And even with a ton of picks, it's going to take a complete overhaul to fix this offense next year. We need a new QB, new WRs and a totally new O-Line that can zone block. Then we have overpriced veterans at RB and TE, who are bound to be shown the door sooner rather than later. It's conceivable the Bills could need 11 new starters on offense next year.

Edited by mjt328

After I posted the figures some put astericks on the figures. As of the same time last year we are at the same point as we were last year. The point is we are no better than we were last year. It is about the Wins,not hopes and dreams. And false comparisons like in Reddogs sig line/

Bills Coaches since Wade:

Sean McDermott .600 Mike Mularkey .438 Gregg Williams .354
Rex Ryan .484 Perry Fewell .428 Chan Gailey .333
Doug Marrone .469 Dick Jauron .421 Anthony Lynn .000

Comparing full year or multiple year winning stats with McD's after 5 games and showing him somehow better is dishonest. It won't be relevant till at least a full season at the least. Maybe a comparison of the first 5 games as coach might be a more valid comparison.

Why do we do this to ourselves? It happens every year to everybody. Some teams that are expected to do well don't and ones not expected to do well do.

Bottom line: Win 10 games against whoever and you're probably in.

This is my approach. As long I can rationalize us getting to 10, I'm not too worried. For now I can do it. We'll see how long it lasts.

Evil Rex? :lol: :lol:

Dude really? That is cornyyyy.

Rex fixed our offense and destroyed our defense.

McDermott did the opposite. Rexs team was more fun to watch cuz of the offense. If they finish with the same amount of wins as last year, i would say Rex put on a more entertaining show, offense, pressers, coke parties, everything.

Dennison will be the death of this team unless he adapts to our roster and suddenly learns how to develop a QB when we draft one next draft.

....Greenspan called it "irrational exuberance" bud and me thinks OH FER 17 has exacerbated the "irrational" portion....this is not a two repairs and maintenance "fix up".....Pegula opened the checkbook wide to hire probably the best FO/Administration since the Polian years.....the McD hire makes sense as far as a taskmaster hell bent on fixing Loserville......this gang is churning the roster in the same manner as Whaley did looking to get better......but you're sure as hell NOT going to solve ALL personnel problems overnight......when is the last time Buffalo was positioned with SIX picks in the first three rounds of an upcoming draft, including TWO 1sts?.....the yipsters will continue to yip and remain posters versus GM hires ....so you buy popcorn, Bourbon, sit back and read, keeping yourself "amused" with the expert commentary, right?....BTW, Wrecks was a flat out fraud just like his old man and buffet brother...

Excellent post! Good read AFLGuy

Just curious. Do the Giants give themselves an asterick for SB XXV because Norwood missed that kick?

Yea, now that you mention it, we can't look at strength of wins to project quality of season going forward. Whether we eeek our a win against a terrible team or crush some contenders dies nothing to show what type of team we have