?look who's #1 Scoring Defense... AGAIN

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I will say about this, it's very interesting that the Bengals, Panthers and Broncos are also on that list because it does provide some glimmer of hope or belief that perhaps the offense isn't as bad as it has shown since we've faced all those teams already and only play one more on that list (Dolphins).

But in the end these are the type of teams we would be facing in the playoffs if we got there and also why we would have little to no chance of winning high stakes games given the current QB and offense situation.

The Bengals were there for the taking .... the offense gets the ball at the 12 and comes away with three??? That's not a playoff caliber offense...

The Bengals were there for the taking .... the offense gets the ball at the 12 and comes away with three??? That's not a playoff caliber offense...

Pretty much, we basically played for a field goal with starting field position on the 12 yard line. We get the TD there and at worse we go to overtime with the Bengals.

And what scares me is this truly 'McDBall' and he's another 'play not to lose' and 'hang around until the 4th quarter and find a way to win' type of coach which is a losing proposition in today's NFL.

You play to win in all 4 quarters, not just show up, play close and try to win in the end.

And what scares me is this truly 'McDBall' and he's another 'play not to lose' and 'hang around until the 4th quarter and find a way to win' type of coach which is a losing proposition in today's NFL.

Scares me too.

In a perfect the world this might be a workable strategy.

But it's not a perfect world and we play on the NFL and we're the Bills which means mysterious flags will fall late. Or obvious infractions are ignored (Sherman holding Woods or whoever it was on EZ).

Glamour teams get the calls and schmucks like us don't. The only way to break through is for us to be far enough ahead so it doesn't matter. Easier said than done, but what we should be trying to do IMHO.

Just think of what the def would be with an offense that can consistently move the ball.

We had that offense last season with a below average defense.

I keep waking up from a nightmare thinking it's 2014 all over again.

9-7.

In my opinion, I think opposing offenses may not be TRYING to score more points because they know how bad our offense is which skewers the stats a bit. Don't get me wrong, the D looks good, but I think teams realize they don't have to score much to win and play conservatively. This would make our D look better than it is. Everything needs to be seen in context, right? Bottom line, we need more firepower on offense.

In my opinion, I think opposing offenses may not be TRYING to score more points because they know how bad our offense is which skewers the stats a bit. Don't get me wrong, the D looks good, but I think teams realize they don't have to score much to win and play conservatively. This would make our D look better than it is. Everything needs to be seen in context, right? Bottom line, we need more firepower on offense.

There's a black lining in every cloud.

+8 through 5 games in turnover differential explains a lot. In other words, the low scoring/conservative risk averse offense is part of the reason for the low number of points surrendered. That doesn't mean that the defense isn't good, but it does mean that these kind of stats can't be looked at in isolation.

Yup. Scoring is much more of a team stat than people like to admit. Yards isolate the offense and defense much better.