What has Brandon Beane done to improve this team?

Yeezus

Serious question.

Ever since this guy was hired he has made countless head scratching decisions. Watkins trade was #1 and the list goes on.

The draft was all Whaley, so Beane was left to improve this team with FA pickups. He ignored the oline, ignored our CB and WR depth, traded away basically a rookie 2nd round LB who is now starting on the best team in the league and got rid of our 2nd string RB without replacing him.

Whaley got so much crap as a GM but I can't remember the last time a Bills GM made so many stupid roster moves in the span of a few months.

If Beane was trying to tank (which he was lets stop pretending here) this is no way to do it. You don't trade away young talented players without any replacements. We have draft picks yes but since when has this franchise ever been good at drafting players.

I'm a Mcdermott believer but I don't trust Brandon Beane . This guy has no idea what he is doing and his inexperience shows countless times. How can we trust him to find a franchise QB.

He made the team better by draining the swamp, as the donald would say.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock pile draft picks. Thats about it. I dont like the Sammy trade because he never replaced Watkins. We replaced woods with matthews and hes already injured. Boldin couldnt even replace Goodwin, the lack of getting a true #1 WR if a faioure on beane but ill see what he does in the draft before i make him walk the plank.....Dennison and castillo on the other hand...blegh

Roster turnover was coming because they only had something like 30 players under contract. So the question remains what has Bean done for the team and the answer is nothing so far. Now if we write off year one as you want to do, fine. I'm okay with that. But that wasn't the question. The question is what has Bean done for this team. Not next years team.

He was hired after the draft. He traded some guys to add picks for next year. What did you reasonably expect for him to get accomplished before the season started?

Edited by Bangarang

[quote name="Yeezus" post="4593647" timestamp="1507521754 traded away basically a rookie 2nd round LB who is now starting on the best team in the league

Ragland is not a great lb:

Reggie Ragland, Kansas City Chiefs

Reggie Ragland was active for the Chiefs on Sunday Night Football, but he didn't record any stats. Ragland only played 10 total snaps at the second inside linebacker position in a win against the Houston Texans

Serious question.

Ever since this guy was hired he has made countless head scratching decisions. Watkins trade was #1 and the list goes on.

The draft was all Whaley, so Beane was left to improve this team with FA pickups. He ignored the oline, ignored our CB and WR depth, traded away basically a rookie 2nd round LB who is now starting on the best team in the league and got rid of our 2nd string RB without replacing him.

Whaley got so much crap as a GM but I can't remember the last time a Bills GM made so many stupid roster moves in the span of a few months.

If Beane was trying to tank (which he was lets stop pretending here) this is no way to do it. You don't trade away young talented players without any replacements. We have draft picks yes but since when has this franchise ever been good at drafting players.

I'm a Mcdermott believer but I don't trust Brandon Beane . This guy has no idea what he is doing and his inexperience shows countless times. How can we trust him to find a franchise QB.

They did a hell of a job getting players AND picks back and if this is all about Sammy again, let it go, the guy was practically useless here and he was not going to stay.

Edited by BuffaloBaumer

The Sammy trade was stupid, even if you draft a QB high next year you will still need a #1 WR. I would have demanded min #1 pick for Sammy who is only 23 years.

The fact that we have the worst WR'S in the NFL makes this move 10 times worse, our running game will suffer all season as everyone we play will just load the box.

If you demanded a #1 for a guy with an injury history, on the final year of his contract, and on record as wanting to be paid mega-bucks on his next contract, anyone on the other end of the phone would have laughed at you & then told you to get lost.

Here were the Bills options after they decided, before Beane got here, not to pick up the 5th season making Sammy an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season:

1) Keep Watkins for 1 more year & lose him for nothing, because in all probability they know they'll be in the same spot they are as this year-signing too many free agents in 2018 to be eligible for comp picks. So getting a 2nd rounder and a starting CB for a year who will be a lot easier to sign than Sammy made the deal pretty good.

2) Keep Watkins for this season, franchise him & either pay him a huge 2018 salary to have him for 1 more year, or try to trade him, in which case the trading partner will either have him for 1 year or have to re-sign him to a mega bucks contract. Considering any team trading for him would be faced with the same restrictions teams faced this year, you'd be lucky to get what Beane got this year.

3) Trade Watkins before the season and get what we got for him, which appears to be the best option.

4) Trade Watkins and get significantly less than E.J Gaines and a #2 pick in 2018.

5) Demand a #1 pick for Watkins and become the laughingstock of the league. Then, when you're stuck with Watkins, see other options 1 & 2,

1. Beane has been in the NFL almost 20 years and could not get a GM job. So how did he get this one? He got it from McDermott, which means McD is making many of the personal decisions. And remember he could not get a head coaching job all these years.

He's 41 years old, he's been working his way up. You make it sound like it was when we hired 70 year old Buddy Nix for his 1st GM job. There's a huge difference between a 41 year old 1st time GM & a 70 year old 1st time GM. Same strange reasoning about our 43 year old head coach.

If we had hired 34 year old Beane & 36 year old McDermott the year we hired 70 year old Nix as GM & 58 year old Gailey you would have called Ralph senile for hiring kids.

He was hired after the draft. He traded some guys to add picks for next year. What did you reasonably expect for him to get accomplished before the season started?

This still doesn't answer what has he done for the 2017 Buffalo Bills. They're some good excuses I agree, but none answer the question.

when your GM gets rid of quality players without replacing them its perfectly ok to question his ability to do his job

He has replaced them with players like Gaines and Matthews and is stockpiling picks for the next couple of drafts to build the team his way. Can't judge him solely on this years roster that he inherited for the most part.

This still doesn't answer what has he done for the 2017 Buffalo Bills. They're some good excuses I agree, but none answer the question.

This isn't hard- the answer is nothing for the 2017 Bills.

They are trying to build for the long haul-- draft capital, scouting and personnel resources, etc. I'd imagine they have no intention at all of adding any unnecessary contracts to our roster.

You are ignoring the fact that our salary cap situation for a junk roster is terrible, we have no depth, no real qb, and an almost 30 year old RB with a HUGE contract, and an albatross at DT. I'd say they expected to be bad this year.

It's more likely he will divest the Bills of more players in 2017 than add any.

Edited by hmsmystic

Considering he didn't get hired until after the draft and the start of FA, I'd say probably not a lot. What would you like him to do in that amount of time?

Also, when did job security start coming into question by week? At which, we are 3-2 and 2nd place in the AFC btw

He's 41 years old, he's been working his way up. You make it sound like it was when we hired 70 year old Buddy Nix for his 1st GM job. There's a huge difference between a 41 year old 1st time GM & a 70 year old 1st time GM. Same strange reasoning about our 43 year old head coach.

Bill Polian was 43 when he got his first GM gig. Just say'n.... :D