Rewinding on the KC trade

Rigotz

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised teams passed on Watson. But it's really hard to criticize the Bills here. The plan was QB in 2018 because 2017 was said to be weak. Plan still on track plus we drafted the DROY at this point.

This was a kind of "find out what we have" year for the Bills and it seems pretty apparent that McDermott wasn't a lover of the FO in place. He probably wanted to make sure he had his guys in situ on the personnel side before pinning himself to a rookie Quarterback. I totally understand that. I just think it's a shame. For me you never pass on a guy you think has a chance to be a franchise guy unless you have a proven franchise guy. I'd have picked Watson.... (and I've been saying this since February) but the Bills were in an odd position this draft.

It is the one thing, as I have said in the other thread, that would turn me off this leadership.... punting again on quarterbacks.

This was a kind of "find out what we have" year for the Bills and it seems pretty apparent that McDermott wasn't a lover of the FO in place. He probably wanted to make sure he had his guys in situ on the personnel side before pinning himself to a rookie Quarterback. I totally understand that. I just think it's a shame. For me you never pass on a guy you think has a chance to be a franchise guy unless you have a proven franchise guy. I'd have picked Watson.... (and I've been saying this since February) but the Bills were in an odd position this draft.

It is the one thing, as I have said in the other thread, that would turn me off this leadership.... punting again on quarterbacks.

There's 50 reasons every year to punt on QB's. Next years class, think they'll be there in the second, etc etc.

There's only one reason to draft a QB. Because you need one. And that trumps all of it.

There's 50 reasons every year to punt on QB's. Next years class, think they'll be there in the second, etc etc.

There's only one reason to draft a QB. Because you need one. And that trumps all of it.

Too bad a record number of NFL teams will be needing one, most of whom will be worse than the Bills this year and will be drafting higher...good luck getting one of those teams to trade out no matter how much draft capital you have Edited by matter2003

Bills will have a top 15 pick and a bottom 5 pick.

There are about 4 college QBs that are equally as good as Trubisky who went #2 overall.

There will be solid QBs to be had threw 2 rounds next year.

I hope you're right. Ideally they don't have to sell the farm to get a rookie qb. They need one, but also need to replenish offensive line and multiple other places on this team. Qb is primary, but need help all over the place.

The flaw in logic here for many of you in evaluating the trade is the proposition that the Bills could have stayed put at 10 and taken Watson. That may be true, but that is not what they would have done if the trade with KC had not gone down. In fact, reports indicate that they already had Lattimore's name on the card before the trade was consummated with the Chiefs.

It is only 5 games into the season so many things could change (including the ultimate value of Watson, who definitely has the look of being the real deal thus far). However, the fair analysis now is: would you rather have Lattimore -- or White plus a 3rd rounder and a 2018 1st rounder? The answer to that question, as of now, is the latter. Hence the trade was a good one.

BTW, on a side note. I wonder which QB the team liked best -- and if there were any genuine discussions of taking a QB at 10. I know reports circulated BEFORE the draft that Whaley loved Watson. I wonder if those reports were true -- and if Whaley may have pulled the trigger on Watson if he had the real say-so.

The flaw in logic here for many of you in evaluating the trade is the proposition that the Bills could have stayed put at 10 and taken Watson. That may be true, but that is not what they would have done if the trade with KC had not gone down. In fact, reports indicate that they already had Lattimore's name on the card before the trade was consummated with the Chiefs.

It is only 5 games into the season so many things could change (including the ultimate value of Watson, who definitely has the look of being the real deal thus far). However, the fair analysis now is: would you rather have Lattimore -- or White plus a 3rd rounder and a 2018 1st rounder? The answer to that question, as of now, is the latter. Hence the trade was a good one.

BTW, on a side note. I wonder which QB the team liked best -- and if there were any genuine discussions of taking a QB at 10. I know reports circulated BEFORE the draft that Whaley loved Watson. I wonder if those reports were true -- and if Whaley may have pulled the trigger on Watson if he had the real say-so.

Mahomes caught a lot of steam with the FO late, but not enough to stay put and take him at 10.

Whether the team would have taken Watson or a different player is not relevant. The question is whether they should have stayed put and taken Watson. It's a fair question. If one is speculating if a mistake was made, substituting a different mistake as more likely to be made doesn't change the discussion.

I think it is clear to me that if you have a chance at a potential Franchise QB you take it. The Bills didn't and I'd have preferred them to do that (even if they went Mahomes who I wasn't as high on) than trade back.

However, if the question in the FO's mind was Lattimore or White and a 1st (which it may have been) then they did the right thing out of those two choices because while I love Lattimore I really, really liked White too and the gap between them as I saw it was not worth passing up an additional 1st for.... even if that is likely a pick in the 29-32 range.

ding ding ding. Really getting sick and tired of the typical excuses

"but how would he be on the Bills"

"Next years class is better"

ok.