Blame this loss on FO

Is the CIN defense as good as SEA now? Do they have Sherman? I don't think the Bills played vs the legion of Boom today. It's a terrible comparison. SW would have more value to the Bills this year than the Rams

I didn't in any way make that comparison. Never said we would win. Only that it's possible. I was only saying that it's stupid to assume in a different game with different players and different plays under different circumstances the same result will happen. That's all.

Kelly the Dog said we cant compare Sammy on the Rams to having Sammy on this team. Your argument fails.

That is what I said! You said it would be the same! Jesus.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steelers lost to the Jags, its called the NFL.

Jags have a lot of talent. Marrone is finally making them play up to their talent. On alternative weekends. And this is the difference between great coaching and merely good coaching. Great coaches keep their teams from having emotional let downs. And re-focus the players mentally for the next opponent regardless of their quality. And that's what I'm going to keep harping on.

I didn't in any way make that comparison. Never said we would win. Only that it's possible. I was only saying that it's stupid to assume in a different game with different players and different plays under different circumstances the same result will happen. That's all.

Cool. Then its stupid to assume wed be 5-0 if we retained Sammy. Thats what I thought.

8 players now have at least 1 catch for Goff. Watkins 0.

He was keeping Sherman busy. Corner explained to you the offensive concepts last week didn't he? Still didn't get it?

Bills' WRs today caught 3 passes for 34 yards. A big play threat would really help the offense.

Exactly. Imagine if we could have taken advantage of Bengal's WEAK SECONDARY. Instead we had UB wideouts playing as pro receivers.
Edited by CanadianFan

I saw two of the targets. One Sammy just gave up on. Didn't think pass was coming. I think those are inexcusable. One in first half he was open deep. Good pass is a long completion.

If Sammy is nothing but a deep threat on a complementary offense, we made a great move trading him for a 2nd.

Edited by HappyDays

If Sammy is nothing but a deep threat on a complementary offense, we made a great move trading him for a 2nd.

I didn't watch the whole game. Seemed like Sherman just lined up right across from him most every play. I will have to watch the replay to see if that was true. Or rely on someone who watched it close.

He's more than that , but he got there in August. It'll take awhile to get involved and establish a chemistry with Goff . This team has no WRs and he'd mean more to the Bills than the Rams this season

He's more than that , but he got there in August. It'll take awhile to get involved and establish a chemistry with Goff . This team has no WRs and he'd mean more to the Bills than the Rams this season

That argument is starting to wear thin. 0 catches on 4 targets, I can't believe that's just because he got there late. Gaines got here at the same time and fits right in. I would say his role is much harder to learn than Sammy's.

No doubt Sammy would help the team this season. I'm not saying he's trash, he's just not worth the money he'll want and the return we got on him is easily worth it because he's not elite. We weren't winning the Super Bowl this year with Sammy here, and we weren't paying him next offseason. Even the franchise tag has a value beyond what he actually provides IMO. Thinking for the future it made too much sense.

Edited by HappyDays

Watkins is on a team with multiple downfield threats. That contributes to the season that Gurley is having, as he's facing fewer 8 and 9 man fronts than he did last year. While the Rams receiving group is dividing the targets, their running game is taking advantage and making plays and scoring points.

The Bills don't have the down field threat to take the heat off the running game. Watkins, or a receiver like him, would help the offense immensely, because he would move defenders out of the box.

Not having Watkins, or a speedy downfield threat to replace him, is a hole for the offense. And since the defense looks as though it's ready to win now, not addressing the lack of speed on offense is frustrating to fans who value wins over draft picks.

Watkins would obviously help this offense, but let's be realistic people. He's got 12 catches for 200 yards in 5 games. Getting EJ Gaines and a second round pick for that is a pretty good haul.

This is a "process". I didn't have high expectations for the year and they are already exceeding them. Obviously the FO needs to address WR, OL, and QB in the offseason. Let's give this team time.

And if we're lucky, the Bills can take advantage of some weak spots in the schedule and make the playoffs while loaded in next years draft.

At this point, I'm pretty happy with the "process".

That argument is starting to wear thin. 0 catches on 4 targets, I can't believe that's just because he got there late. Gaines got here at the same time and fits right in. I would say his role is much harder to learn than Sammy's.

No doubt Sammy would help the team this season. I'm not saying he's trash, he's just not worth the money he'll want and the return we got on him is easily worth it because he's not elite. We weren't winning the Super Bowl this year with Sammy here, and we weren't paying him next offseason. Even the franchise tag has a value beyond what he actually provides IMO. Thinking for the future it made too much sense.

Bingo! I endorse this sentiment.

Gaines is a zone corner. He doesn't need chemistry with a QB to do his job. Goff passed up a wide open Watkins in the end zone to throw an out cut to Kupp last week. I could give a crap about money. This team has no stars to pay and no expensive QB contracts . It's the NFL in 2017 after all. A DB being asked to learn zone coverages and calls is a bit easier than learning an offense . The practice time is the big thing and CBA rules mean it is minimal in season these days. I doubt the Rams are too concerned . They know what they have.

Excellent analysis although I will quibble with some of your positions. Where I strongly agree with you is that this new regime is taking a big picture approach. That's why it purged some talent that in the short run would have clearly made a difference. Watkins is an obvious example of that. As far as the stalled running game the problem as I see it is mostly due to the lack of a credible/modern passing game that will open up more space. The defenses are stacking the line and there is too much congestion for McCoy to find a lane. Even working with such a handicap he is playing heroically.

As I have said on other posts this staff has done a masterful job in reconstituting the defense. This was done in one offseason. This regime needs to be saluted for their smart and cost effective player acquisitions. Next offseason attention has to be focused on the offense. Until the qb position is upgraded so a modern passing game can be run this franchise will continue to be stuck in the muck of mediocrity. I have felt all along that this was a three to four year rebuilding project. If the Bills can get a qb such as Mayfield on its roster that time frame will be shortened. Tyrod Taylor is an earnest player who is simply a bridge qb. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth arguing with. Either the qb issue is addressed this offseason or the same status of irrelevance will be maintained.

I want to make it clear I'm not feeling pessimistic with what has gone on with this new staff. Quite the opposite---I'm impressed with what has been done so far. Next offseason, the wrestling coach and his staff have to do what they could have done the previous offseason i.e. address the most influential position on the field.

The issue is that they were the best running team in the league for 2 years with much of the same personnel. It's design. I get that they have no one that scares people on the outside but our receivers, especially minus a healthy Watkins, weren't exactly elite.

don't trade for anyone, this is not a superbowl winning team a WR does not put us over the top.

The other thing we often forget: this is a re-build year. The Offense is pretty much what we thought it would be. The Defense and Special Teams have made this team competitive, and surprisingly so...therefore, were frustrated because we can see how this team could be 5-0 with a competent to good QB and WRs who can catch. I do blame Tyrod for the Offense. No doubt in my mind.

I feel similar to the OP here. I feel like the FO sold them short as did the coaches decision to roll with only four healthy receivers. One is a second round rookie who can't find his hands, another is a 6'5" vet who must be on Taylor's s-list because he doesn't target him at all, then they have a career special teams guy and a kid who was on a CFL practice squad a couple years ago. I understand the focus is on the future but in the present tense, they have a defense that is good enough to keep them in every game but on offense they really set those guys up to fail yesterday. May have been a different story if Clay hadn't gotten hurt, but now they really need to explore other options because they're not going anywhere with that current WR group. Call up Reilly, flip one of those six early-round picks for a pass catcher, do something, because if they don't, I feel like that's a slap in the face to the guys on defense. Those dudes are balling out, getting turnovers, limiting teams to 20 points or less. And then the offense gets on the field and can't get out of their own way. If part of the "process" is to neglect your offense and waste a super talented defense this season then I'm not sure what their real plans are.