Jim Harbaugh

GunnerBill

But he takes the team to Europe for spring practice, and wears khakis!

One of the more interesting aspects of his tenure there so far is he's never played "his" QB. He's had Hoke holdovers or grad transfers. Jake Rudoch, Wilton Speight, John O' Korn. He has true freshman Dylan McCaffrey who probably isn't ready and Brandon Peters waiting in the wings. Neither of them could be worse than can o'corn at this point.

I wonder if he will go back to the NFL sooner than later. I've always thought the Colts with Andrew Luck just made too much sense.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I wonder if he will go back to the NFL sooner than later. I've always thought the Colts with Andrew Luck just made too much sense.

And that job will be open next January. I just wonder whether Ballard will want someone that firey, but you are right... it makes a lot of sense. And hey... Indi love a big game let down too.

And that job will be open next January. I just wonder whether Ballard will want someone that firey, but you are right... it makes a lot of sense. And hey... Indi love a big game let down too.

He's a terrific coach but his eccentricities can exhaust those who have to deal with him. At Stanford the administration was appreciative of what he did for the program. He elevated a foundering program. However, the bosses in the athletic department were worn out by his constant high wattage approach. Behind the curtain when he left for the 49ers there was a sigh of relief. The administration was more than happy that David Shaw took over the reigns. And they are very happy that this more normal pers has been able to keep Stanford a relevant program at the national level.

When Harbaugh took over the 49ers he quickly elevated a dormant program. Again, his intense style created friction within the organization. Harbaugh is brilliant in taking over damaged products and in relatively short order fixing them. The real issue for him and the organization that he works for is how long can the parties coexist. Any one who wants to hire him must realize that he is who he is. And when he is running the show he is doing it with total authority.

When you are rich and crazy you are considered an eccentric. If you are poor and crazy you are simply nuts. With Harbaugh as long as he is winning at a high rate his eccentricities are tolerable. When the winning percentage goes down then you don't want to deal with this oddball.

Harbaugh is safe if he beats either Penn St or Ohio St this year

If Michigan loses both he'll jump to a vacant NFL job for another short in the Pros

PSU would be a big win in and of itself, but if he's 1-5 vs his two Rivals it's going to be a problem. Sparty used to be their "little brother" and losing to them at home when their program is "down" is just embarrassing. If he goes 0-3 vs Urban it will be cause for great unrest in TSUN.

He's a terrific coach but his eccentricities can exhaust those who have to deal with him. At Stanford the administration was appreciative of what he did for the program. He elevated a foundering program. However, the bosses in the athletic department were worn out by his constant high wattage approach. Behind the curtain when he left for the 49ers there was a sigh of relief. The administration was more than happy that David Shaw took over the reigns. And they are very happy that this more normal pers has been able to keep Stanford a relevant program at the national level.

When Harbaugh took over the 49ers he quickly elevated a dormant program. Again, his intense style created friction within the organization. Harbaugh is brilliant in taking over damaged products and in relatively short order fixing them. The real issue for him and the organization that he works for is how long can the parties coexist. Any one who wants to hire him must realize that he is who he is. And when he is running the show he is doing it with total authority.

When you are rich and crazy you are considered an eccentric. If you are poor and crazy you are simply nuts. With Harbaugh as long as he is winning at a high rate his eccentricities are tolerable. When the winning percentage goes down then you don't want to deal with this oddball.

Yep. For those who know soccer... he is the Jose Mourinho of football. Except Jose has won more big games.

Good post, but I would think Michigan is a still a long way from being tired of him given their re-emergence as a nationally relevant program.

Did he find a way to lose another big game last night? Oh look.... he did.

Bull :censored:

The defense played great last night for Michigan. Considering how many players they lost on defense last year, that unit as a whole has played outstanding.

The offense has the issues.

Granted, you cannot lose to inferior teams like that, and Harbaugh does have to take that. But he's not the reason why they lost yesterday.

Bull :censored:

The defense played great last night for Michigan. Considering how many players they lost on defense last year, that unit as a whole has played outstanding.

The offense has the issues.

Granted, you cannot lose to inferior teams like that, and Harbaugh does have to take that. But he's not the reason why they lost yesterday.

He is never THE reason. But his record in the biggest games is not good and too often he loses them to less talented teams.

Ohio State & Florida State are less talented?

I don't just mean at Michigan. He lost a Superbowl to the Ravens when he had a stacked roster. He lost an NFC title game to a Giants team he had more talent than too. I think he is a bit anti-clutch as a coach because he is so intense. The biggest games his teams often come our looking tight to me.

Vader, IF he loses to Ohio state again (I actually think this is the year they beat them, but hypothetically) ... are you still optimistic about Harbaugh? Think he's still in the building stage? Just curious the view from the other side... over here, we end up judging seasons and coaches based on that game as a huge factor.

Good post, but I would think Michigan is a still a long way from being tired of him given their re-emergence as a nationally relevant program.

I agree with your take that there is still plenty in the tank to draw from. Without a doubt in short order he revitalized a program that plateaued. What he is doing in Michigan is the same thing he did with the 49ers, Stanford and Univ. of San Diego. He quickly added a jolt of energy to struggling operations.

Make no mistake what I'm saying in my prior post. He deserves a lot of credit for his turnarounds. Wherever he has gone in short order he has not only stabilized the operation but he has quickly elevated it. There is no doubt that he is going full throttle at Michigan. He is a whirlwind of activity in all aspects of the program. How long will it last? I'm not sure. Will he get antsy and look back to the pro game for his next venture and challenge? That's an interesting question.

Fair enough.

Now let me ask this.....How are Stanford & the San Francisco 49'ers doing as teams since Harbaugh is no longer the head coach there?

I don't just mean at Michigan. He lost a Superbowl to the Ravens when he had a stacked roster. He lost an NFC title game to a Giants team he had more talent than too. I think he is a bit anti-clutch as a coach because he is so intense. The biggest games his teams often come our looking tight to me.

When Harbaugh left the 49ers the operation collapsed. The franchise still has not fully recovered since he was fired. When he left Stanford and David Shaw was hired the program for the most part didn't skip a beat. The point I'm making here is that you have to build an infrastructure so if and when he leaves the operation has a foundation to sustain itself.

Fair enough.

Now let me ask this.....How are Stanford & the San Francisco 49'ers doing as teams since Harbaugh is no longer the head coach there?

See post #19.

Edited by JohnC

Vader, IF he loses to Ohio state again (I actually think this is the year they beat them, but hypothetically) ... are you still optimistic about Harbaugh? Think he's still in the building stage? Just curious the view from the other side... over here, we end up judging seasons and coaches based on that game as a huge factor.

Yes, I am optimistic that they will let Harbaugh continue to work with the team he's building.

Yes, the Ohio State game is a huge factor, and after last year's screw job from the officials in that game, I think they'll give Harbaugh a mulligan for that.

The optimism at Michigan I feel is much higher than when Rodriguez and Hoke were there. At least that is how I feel.

Also, Harbaugh has made teams winners, and that goes a long way. Who else could they possibly find that is better than him right now?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.