Random Thoughts Thread

RaoulDuke79

20 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

A similar ship came through my area a couple years ago.  I was going to go see it go through the locks, till I saw an article that most of the time they'll have the masts down to fit under the bridges.  Decided to skip it. 

Yeah... The masts and riggings are on a truck somewhere while they travel inland.  Simply too tall. But, you get ti see them fully intact on the Lakes.  This one is the only replica of a 19th century schooner. Still an odd site.

One time a few years back... Had the stepped down versions of the Nina and Pinta make it through.  Santa Maria drafted too much for the inlands.  Over 9 feet deep. Amazing how small they were and even more amazing than they'd sail something that size on the open ocean... Especially in day with no modern embellishments like pumps, modern living quarters, etc...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

One time a few years back... Had the stepped down versions of the Nina and Pinta make it through.  Santa Maria drafted too much for the inlands.  Over 9 feet deep. 

That was it, it was one of those three, I don’t remember which one though. 

• 2 weeks later...

My rental vehicle this week, a Ford Explorer (either a 2021 or 2022) has some kind a steering assistance when using the cruise control.  Take your hands off the wheel and it stays in its lane.  Freaky.  I only try it when there is no one else on the road, and if you keep your hands off for about 20 seconds, it starts alerting you to put your hands back on the wheel.  If you don't, within 5-10 seconds, it cuts off the cruise control. 

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

My rental vehicle this week, a Ford Explorer (either a 2021 or 2022) has some kind a steering assistance when using the cruise control.  Take your hands off the wheel and it stays in its lane.  Freaky.  I only try it when there is no one else on the road, and if you keep your hands off for about 20 seconds, it starts alerting you to put your hands back on the wheel.  If you don't, within 5-10 seconds, it cuts off the cruise control. 

It's such a strange feeling when you're just cruising normally and those things slightly correct you. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

It's such a strange feeling when you're just cruising normally and those things slightly correct you. 

People will get used to it, just like we got used to not pumping the brakes when the ABS kicks in.

Why do people lack self awareness?  I'm going to have to fire this guy on my team.  I work in tech, and we're going to do layoffs, probably right after New Year's.  Why, oh, why does this guy openly admit that he's not doing his job?  He literally just put himself in the crosshairs.

I can think of a number of animated GIFs, maybe those involving Russ Brandon, to illustrate this theme.  Any contributions are welcome.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

It seems our puppy has eaten some rotten fruits. We have scheduled the carpet cleaners. 

pobrecito!

mine is hospice. Not to double down on misery but it's a fact. Her mind is good the body is failing (spine) 14 year old pittie. When it's time she will let us know. Until then it is pain meds and an anti inflammatory

• Sad 2

On 11/12/2022 at 7:34 PM, TheCockSportif said:

Why do people lack self awareness?  I'm going to have to fire this guy on my team.  I work in tech, and we're going to do layoffs, probably right after New Year's.  Why, oh, why does this guy openly admit that he's not doing his job?  He literally just put himself in the crosshairs.

I can think of a number of animated GIFs, maybe those involving Russ Brandon, to illustrate this theme.  Any contributions are welcome.

I’ll jump in here. Tread carefully, as soon, this man may be your boss. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.