A question about moving to new message board software

SDS

I've only been a member for 6 years and have yet to crack a hundred posts. I read a great many threads but rarely post, obviously. However, the box is where I spend most of my time. I'm with the group that would like to see it stay. I hope SDS is correct when he said the new software may already have that feature built in.

Thanks for you efforts SDS!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any time you make a massive change like this its going to upset about 5-10% of the population, Keeping that in mind that isn't much unless you have the kind of numbers these forums produce.. then your talking about a lot of people. I would suggest putting up a 2 week pole that doesn't show the names of who voted and block all the replies so people can think for themselves and not take on a vibe of what everyone else is doing.

Also I would not make that change unless its a higher% like 80%+. All this wanting to change because of us having bad years of game play is silly.. I suggest to all members to vote for how this effects you and not on some myth or voodoo magic that the team gets better after a change..

On a personal note, as someone newer I don't care either way... Just keep it pro either way.

Also I would like to add that you guys have done a great job with these forums and would expect nothing less with new software :thumbsup:

Heres an idea for us shoutbox people: When the new software starts, we can create a thread with a link to a private Google chat group. We can create a password and leave it in the thread. That way we can have a shoutbox in a separate window through google chat. Now that I said that, is this even possible? Im not a tech guy.

Scott, this site is free and greatly appreciated. I say do what you feel is best. I for one will still visit multiple times per day to keep up on all things Bills.

I have enjoyed things so far and will continue to appreciate whatever format you choose to move forward.

Go Bills!!!

Again, I was playing devils advocate here.

The point being we have two large categories of customers here. Content creators (who also read) and content readers (who don't create). We cater to them both.

I'm told this third group doesn't fall into either category. How much concern should I have for them then?

This third group, if I may more accurately describe it, is a group of customers that consists of content creators, content readers with a sprinkling of exclusive Shoutbox users mixed in (that is a guess - I don't know anyone who only uses the Shoutbox).

I would venture to guess that less than .1% of those in the Shoutbox on any given day are exclusive Shoutbox users.

If you wanted to separate exclusive Shoutbox users into a third group - and you assumed that they would simply stop using the site if you didn't create another Shoutbox - then no one would notice who left.

However, if you wanted to separate Shoutbox users into a third group, you would see that it's simply a mixture of your first two categories.

It really is a great social tool that allows people to have conversations quickly and easily.

For instance, if Bandit is in there (which is common) and I needed to know an alternative ingredient for a recipe, I could just jump on there and ask him. But there are so many food enthusiasts on TBD, it would end up being a 45 minute discussion about alternative ingredients between 4 or 5 Bills fans.

I think that's pretty cool.

Edited by Gugny

Furthermore, this is where I have built friendships that have gone well outside of TBD and have even flowed over to texting and FB. The shoutbox allows people to discuss the "now" events, baseball scores, favorite recipes and the hottest news stories. I click on posts to read a bit and then discuss todays topic in the shoutbox. Ask fellow boxers how their brother with cancer is and talk about the last HS football game went. This is stuff that rarely happens in posts. This is the community you created Scott. These are the friendships and this is the place we have built a family of Bills fans Scott. You ask why should I as Devils Advocate? I say because you are a good man and this family is your creation. Thanks for asking and opening this up for us to,discuss

This third group, if I may more accurately describe it, is a group of customers that consists of content creators, content readers with a sprinkling of exclusive Shoutbox users mixed in (that is a guess - I don't know anyone who only uses the Shoutbox).

I would venture to guess that less than .1% of those in the Shoutbox on any given day are exclusive Shoutbox users.

If you wanted to separate exclusive Shoutbox users into a third group - and you assumed that they would simply stop using the site if you didn't create another Shoutbox - then no one would notice who left.

However, if you wanted to separate Shoutbox users into a third group, you would see that it's simply a mixture of your first two categories.

It really is a great social tool that allows people to have conversations quickly and easily.

For instance, if Bandit is in there (which is common) and I needed to know an alternative ingredient for a recipe, I could just jump on there and ask him. But there are so many food enthusiasts on TBD, it would end up being a 45 minute discussion about alternative ingredients between 4 or 5 Bills fans.

Agree ole friend

I was just responding to the assertion that there are members in there that don't post nor read and would leave if the shoutbox were removed.

Needless to say, I never made a suggestion that I was purposefully removing it - I was just unaware if a third-party module have been written for the version of the software I have been looking at.

I was just responding to the assertion that there are members in there that don't post nor read and would leave if the shoutbox were removed.

Needless to say, I never made a suggestion that I was purposefully removing it - I was just unaware if a third-party module have been written for the version of the software I have been looking at.

So....you hate shoutboxers? You wish they didnt exist? Hmmmm. Let the conspiracy begin... JK. Thanks for your page.

Thank you for clarifying. I really do think you have two categories: active users and inactive users (aka "lurkers"). Most Shoutbox users are active users and I sincerely doubt any would leave if the shoutbox were removed. I just think there's a lot of people who enjoy it for a variety of very legitimate reasons.

Thank you for clarifying. I really do think you have two categories: active users and inactive users (aka "lurkers"). Most Shoutbox users are active users and I sincerely doubt any would leave if the shoutbox were removed. I just think there's a lot of people who enjoy it for a variety of very legitimate reasons.

Just wouldnt show up as often.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3111943?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Found the answer. If we lose the shoutbox we can just have a link in a TBD thread for people to join a google hangout chatroom. I guess that would solve the problem and Scott doesnt have to worry about it. Maybe he can create a small Tab on The Stadium Wall that directs people to the Google hangout chat. Just an idea.

Maybe its me, but I dont know how you can just axe 4.5m posts when 18 of them were good.

I think I may have had a good post---once. Maybe.

Can't seem to find it, though.