A question about moving to new message board software

SDS

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the shout box will be gone? Post count will be gone?

Personal info when click on a person?

Forums?

What about member list? Will list be purged of members that have not been active in over 2-3 years?

please dont move to a site thats like fb or sites that share there board system with other types of stuff dont like people having my info. but thats just me this dark web crap is scary these days. they hack you and wait awhile before using the info.....be careful out there guys.

Basically, the thought process behind NOT bringing over 4.5M posts is:

1. Linking structure. Converting old links to new links may be just a rewrite of the URLs but it gets messy.

2. An empty database means the new code should be lightning fast. And fast for a very long time.

How much traffic do you get from search? Broken links can be resolved with a 301 redirect (like you did when you moved from http to https), but you may lose link-juice, social proof, etc. If this site does not get a ton of search traffic, it may not matter to you, and the site will eventually recover (and site speed is a ranking factor, so there is that...)

Losing the Shout Box would be tragic, to steal Turbo's words what are we supposed to do when we are at work?! In all seriousness, I have made some good friends in the Shout Box and keep in touch with some year long, I really hope a solution can be found,

...AOL... is selling the AIM software cheap I bet

Thanks for all you do... Mike

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

The shoutbox is unique and entertaining and I also think it cuts down on unnecessary thread starts in my humble opinion.

Having it operating at the top of the page if so desired is an awesome site feature IMO.

Edited by Figster

Odds are I will keep all of the content. But that's just my current preference.

It looks like there is a shout box add-on already developed so hopefully it has the proper functionality that everyone wants to see.

So, the shout box will be gone? Post count will be gone?

Personal info when click on a person?

Forums?

What about member list? Will list be purged of members that have not been active in over 2-3 years?

All valid ?'s

I really like shoutbox as well