Shady, Kyle at Sabres opener

Reminds me of sitting across the aisle from Will Wolford and Kent Hull (RIP Kent) at a Sabres game back in the era when we were going to the Superbowl.

Those 2 guys had season tickets together and were quite big hockey fans back in the day.

Sabres need to trust the process...and score in shootouts, and have their goalie not lose his jock in shootouts.

Sabres need a goalie that can move side to side, doesnt have mental lapses, and can be better in shoot outs- but yes, it doesnt help when we dont score.

What is up with the Sabres futility on shoot outs? I am no hockey expert, (I mean I understand the rules and what I am watching just wasn't raised in a hockey family so have had to learn as I go) and I try to catch as many games as I can, but couldn't we stash someone on the roster, like a 4th line type guy who just specializes in shootouts? It seems we need to get someone like Kotalik who was money

What is up with the Sabres futility on shoot outs? I am no hockey expert, (I mean I understand the rules and what I am watching just wasn't raised in a hockey family so have had to learn as I go) and I try to catch as many games as I can, but couldn't we stash someone on the roster, like a 4th line type guy who just specializes in shootouts? It seems we need to get someone like Kotalik who was money

It involves a neck and a tattoo.

It involves a neck and a tattoo.

True but they don't seem to be moving on from him yet, and its hard to win a shootout if you can't put one in the net (for some reason Chris Farley in Black Sheep came to mind when he is yelling at David Spade when they are playing checkers, "Its so easy to win when you never move your back row!")

Edited by Bray Wyatt

They looked solid out there last night, one bad turnover by O'Reilly (he's too good to be doing that crap, that TO pissed me off) and a iffy goal by the Canadians. That should have been an regulation win for Buffalo. It's annoying how bad they are at shootouts, Lehner is just terrible in them.

I wish Eichel would look for his shot more. He had a very nice assist to Pommer's but there was a time or two he was in the slot where he should have ripped it. It was only game one, but felt too much like last year. Out play the other team, but can't finish. Better than the tank years at least.

Sabres need a goalie that can move side to side, doesnt have mental lapses, and can be better in shoot outs- but yes, it doesnt help when we dont score.

The irony is Lehner is great in actual games but dreadful in shootouts. He made some terrific saves in that game early, then looked like a fish flopping on a dock in the shootout. I don't get how a goalie reaches the NHL with that big a flaw. But that doesn't absolve the shooters. They are helpless too.

Unacceptable. They should be at practice or reviewing game footage. Slacking off is what Rex used to let players do.

Note that Taylor and McDermott weren't there.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The irony is Lehner is great in actual games but dreadful in shootouts. He made some terrific saves in that game early, then looked like a fish flopping on a dock in the shootout. I don't get how a goalie reaches the NHL with that big a flaw. But that doesn't absolve the shooters. They are helpless too.

He didnt look good on that goal that slide thru the pipe/skate, it was very weak/lazy goaltending and why he was upset with himself after- thats the difference between good and great goalies. Ive been following this guy awhile and hes average, nothing more. Once a team gets him moving hes dead in the water so yes, once we go to OT its all over.

I was kinda joking (kinda). You gotta let people have lives outside of work. Support the Sabres once in awhile, why not?

Although, the stuff I initially read about McDermott is that he is a tireless workaholic.. opposite of Rex. This shows, you know he really was doing game planning, I'm assuming.

Edited by Idandria

PracticalMilkyBillygoat-max-14mb.gif

This is a guy that is all in on Buffalo. I hope he keeps playing at a high level for at least a few more years.

Shady is endearing himself with our fans and that goes a long way in gaining currency within the Bills fanbase. Young NFL players can learn from this

ie. Gilmore and Sammy.

They actually already did that. Jacob Josefson, our 4th line center this year is ranked #4 in the NHL in active career shootout percentage. Shootouts are his specialty and a big reason he was signed.

Pominville is pretty good in the SO as well.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/stats/nhl/all-time/career-shootout-percentage-active/

Hopefully it'll improve as the year goes on. I'll cut them a little slack for last night since they were facing arguably the best goalie in the world.

Honestly, I'm more worried about Lehner being unable to make a save in the shootout. His save percentage in the SO was damn near 0% last year (and for much of the year was truly 0%)