Franchise QB vs Winning Season

TFBillsfan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we go 10-6 or better with TT, given the dearth of receiver talent on this squad, I'm betting the staff opts to keep TT a few more years, see how Peterman develops in the mean time or maybe pull the trigger on a good prospect if they fall to us over the next few drafts.

This- I don't want to be San Francisco parting ways with Alex smith only to watch him constantly quarterback a winner while my choice to replace him ends up busting his way off my roster.

Until otherwise proven, Taylor is good enough to win with so upgrading there is going to take time and risk. You want to see them keep him as risk mitigation.

That's where I'm torn, if we have a strong season, then my gut tells me to use the majority of the picks strengthning the roster. I.E....WR, OLB, TE, DT, RB and then in the future go all in for the QB as a best case scenario. If we get it right thru the draft in 2018, you're in great position to give up a first to get your guy in 2019 if needed.

Well yes first round guys are more highly touted, but it doesn't mean better anymore.

As I said the days of luck, manning and elway are over. You are just as likely to draft Blaine gabbert in the first as you are a good QB

Brees, second round. Romo, undrafted. Wilson, third round. Dalton, second round. TT 4th round, Brady , 6th.

For every Matt Ryan 3rd overall there are 10 Jake lockers

I fully understand that talents like Rosen don't last til round 3 but he can easily be jay cutler... he isn't Andrew luck or Matt Ryan territory

Isn't that for every position? Look at all the tackles like Greg Robinson who've been colossal busts.

Look at the chiefs. They were in the final four, still drafted one of the top 3 QBs in Mahomes by trading with us. So its not impossible.

And Mahomes has done what in NFL games that count, exactly? Nothing. Nada. He hasn't even gotten into a game yet. He was also only the third best QB prospect in the 2017 draft. Most drafts yield only one QB who might be considered a "franchise QB", and some don't yield any.

I think trading up for any QB except the consensus #1 pick is foolish. If he's not clearly the very best guy in the draft, why are you willing to risk so much when there's little evidence to suggest it works? Let's be honest here: if a QB prospect is so great, why would the team not take him, even if they have a "franchise QB"? This isn't the "good old days" before the rookie salary scale when teams couldn't afford to draft a QB #1 over all when they already had an adequate starter. Moreover, if their current QB is so great, why are they picking #1?

Here are the trades for first round QBs for the last 15 years. Not many success stories here.

• In 2016, the Rams traded up to get Jared Goff. After a rocky rookie year, Goff looks better as a sophomore but he truly needs to be a great QB to be worth the picks. Goff being only as good as Carson Palmer or Alex Smith (pre-KC) wouldn't make most fans happy.
  • In 2016 the Eagles also traded up to take a QB: Carson Wentz at #2. If Carson Wentz works out to be a franchise QB, the Eagles will be the only team to win the QB lottery by trading up for a non-overall #1 pick .
  • In 2012, the Redskins gambled to take Robert Griffin III at #2. He was the OROY ... and he was never as good again. Many fans blame his injury, but the reality is that his style wasn't sustainable although the QB who made plays with his legs was briefly in vogue. It's a good thing they saved their bacon by drafting Kirk Cousins in the 4th round. Of course, the big winner in the QB lottery was Seattle who got Russell Wilson in the third. He's certainly the highest achiever among the 2012 QBs.
  • In 2009, the Jests traded up to take Mark "Butt Fumble" Sanchez at #5. Sanchez looked decent as a rookie and early in his sophomore season, and then began sliding downhill.
  • In 2004, the Giants traded a bunch of picks, including the #4 pick that they had used on Phillip Rivers, to land the #1 overall pick, Eli Manning. That was a win for the Giants. Eli is streaky, but he seems to bring his A game when it counts (hence 2 Lombardis) whereas Rivers seems to do just the opposite: he seems to fold in important games despite piling up impressive stats (hence only 1 playoff win in his career ... and only 1 playoff appearance since 2009).
  • In 2004, the Bills traded back into the first round to take JP Losman at #22. For those with short memories, not only was Losman a bust, but the trade prevented the Bills from being able to take Aaron Rodgers with the #18 pick in 2005. Of course, the team that probably made out the best in 2004, which was a generational year for QBs, was Pittsburgh who took Ben Roethlisberger at #11, easily the best and most consistent QB from 2004 and a future HOFer.

Isn't that for every position? Look at all the tackles like Greg Robinson who've been colossal busts.

Offensive line is going the same way thanks to the spread. It's harder than ever to scout offensive lineman.

The NFL is a north / south blocking game traditionally

College is east/ west now

You must look for specific traits that show how the lineman will translate to the pros... I.E. power I packages...

Greg Robinson dominated in a zone read scheme which does not translate to the NFL game. He was all heigjt, weight, athleticism...

You must look for specific nuances which translate to the NFl. Cordy Glenn played in an NFL blocking scheme at Georgia. His tape translates better

If we keep winning i would keep TYGOD and draft a QB 2nd round next year.

I was saying that earlier, but corrected myself. It may just be where we have picks later in the first. It all depends upon how things fall.

What an exciting start out of the gate! However, if the Bills go 10-6 or 11-5, that puts them in a difficult position. Even with a stock of draft picks, there will be numerous teams ahead of us looking for a QB. Obviously the past 17 years has been frustrating but do you have any concerns if we make the playoffs how that could impact us long term at the QB position? At this point, you could list the following teams finishing with worse record looking for a QB:

Cleveland, Jets, AZ, San Fran, Miami, San Diego, Jax, Vikings and New Orleans

The QB class of '18 is looking less impressive than it did before. I think Darnold will return to USC to repair his stock if he doesn't start lighting it up tbh. That leaves Rosen as the #1 QB. After that I would take a shot on Faulk, Mayfield, and Allen, but none of them are top 10 worthy imo. They could all be gone by when we pick anyway due to the need for QB's by other teams. If we make the playoffs with Tyrod this year I am ok with keeping him around. I have always said we could win with him and he generally doesn't make mistakes. A lights out defense and a QB who is decent while not turning the ball over = W's. After 17 years of futility I'll take W's all day.

Agree, I knew I probably missed a few. My point was some teams may reload with another stud QB for years to come while we continue to spin with average QB play based upon a winning season in what is deemed as a QB rich draft unless you give up the farm and then some to move up.

What worries me is if NE fails this season and they draft one of this crop and end up with another dynasty while we got one lucky season

Alex Smith: 33 years old and probably in the late stages of his prime

Tyrod Taylor: 28 years old and entering his prime

This is his prime? He hasn't proved to be better then when he was drafted yet but this is his prime? What a low bar. He's got a huge hill to be considered a franchise worthy QB in my opinion. He is lucky the rest of the team is doing very well. I'll hold out judgement but as of now he is no different in my eyes this team still needs a better talent at QB if it wants any dynasty to begin.

Please. NE is not going to fall that far.

Brady goes down they will fall much faster then you think with that D. If Brady has told Billacheat he is about finished then Billacheat will be looking for his next saviour, he is always 2 steps ahead of the game. Next years QB draft class is a great place to look. Edited by xRUSHx

Whatever happens, happens. I'll be rooting for the Bills to win until they're mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. After that I'll focus on draft position. Then I'll watch the NFL playoffs, then college basketball, then the Masters, then finally I'll take a look at the draft.

Yes ... nice philosophy: the circle of life.