Spotlight on Rookie Matt Milano at WLB this Week

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills HC McDermott, when talking about Matt Milano: "Those are the type of the LBs we look for in terms of the space players, athletic..."

Milano will make his first start Sunday at WLB in place of the injured Ramon Humber.

I honestly think Milano has chance to grab hold of this WLB job & not look back this year. Wrote more about it here: http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-5-buffalo-bills-practice-notes-10_4_17-

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preston Brown was on WGR a second ago and said that he thinks Milano gets a pick this week because he's got great understanding of route combinations in coverage.

He looked a little lost against the Falcons. I hope he calms down because the Bengals will be looking to exploit him.

From what he showed in college he is solid in coverage and hits hard. Just wish he was bigger by 15 pounds. I think he is a poor man's, Darron Lee. Which isn't saying much since I thought Lee had bust written all over him due to his size at the position and being drafted in the first round.

He looked a little lost against the Falcons. I hope he calms down because the Bengals will be looking to exploit him.

I didn't notice him other than the film review of him running completely away from a play.

From NFL.com scouting report.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS Well-defined with muscular arms and tapered waist. Wonderfully aggressive. Heat-seeking missile who looks for contact. Form tackler looking to strike, lift, and bury. Former safety with disciplined vision and above-average instincts. Can get home as blitzer. Reacts quickly to play-action screen passes and reverses. Good straight-line speed and revved motor for extended tackle range. Has some coverage ability in space. Durable two-year starter playing more than 94 percent of his team's defensive snaps. Accelerates through contact. Speed and toughness creates potential opportunities at multiple linebacker spots. Special teams demon with three blocked punts and 24 coverage tackles.

WEAKNESSES Needs to add a little more size to his frame. Can be outmuscled by size. Hand usage is inconsistent. Needs to improve in art of discarding blockers. Just average at punching and shedding to keep himself clean in take-on situations. Bad habit of ducking head into crunching tackles rather than seeing what he hits. Tightly wound with average change-of-direction talent. Can improve his path to perimeter to avoid traffic around him.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 6-7 SOURCES TELL US "I love watching him on tape. You just know he wishes he were bigger so he could hit even harder. He's not as good as (Brian) Cushing, but that's the same kind of mentality he plays with." -- Northeast area scout for AFC team NFL

COMPARISON John Timu

BOTTOM LINE

Undersized for the linebacker spot, but extremely tough and aggressive. A little tight-hipped and might struggle to finish tackles that aren't right in front of him, but he brings as much pound-for-pound force behind his tackles as anyone in the draft. Productive player with good instincts and a nose for the ball. He has value as a 4-3 OLB and a 3-4 WILB, and should become a top contributor in coverage on special teams.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

Preston Brown was on WGR a second ago and said that he thinks Milano gets a pick this week because he's got great understanding of route combinations in coverage.

I didn't notice him other than the film review of him running completely away from a play.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS Well-defined with muscular arms and tapered waist. Wonderfully aggressive. Heat-seeking missile who looks for contact. Form tackler looking to strike, lift, and bury. Former safety with disciplined vision and above-average instincts. Can get home as blitzer. Reacts quickly to play-action screen passes and reverses. Good straight-line speed and revved motor for extended tackle range. Has some coverage ability in space. Durable two-year starter playing more than 94 percent of his team's defensive snaps. Accelerates through contact. Speed and toughness creates potential opportunities at multiple linebacker spots. Special teams demon with three blocked punts and 24 coverage tackles.

WEAKNESSES Needs to add a little more size to his frame. Can be outmuscled by size. Hand usage is inconsistent. Needs to improve in art of discarding blockers. Just average at punching and shedding to keep himself clean in take-on situations. Bad habit of ducking head into crunching tackles rather than seeing what he hits. Tightly wound with average change-of-direction talent. Can improve his path to perimeter to avoid traffic around him.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 6-7 SOURCES TELL US "I love watching him on tape. You just know he wishes he were bigger so he could hit even harder. He's not as good as (Brian) Cushing, but that's the same kind of mentality he plays with." -- Northeast area scout for AFC team NFL

COMPARISON John Timu

BOTTOM LINE

Undersized for the linebacker spot, but extremely tough and aggressive. A little tight-hipped and might struggle to finish tackles that aren't right in front of him, but he brings as much pound-for-pound force behind his tackles as anyone in the draft. Productive player with good instincts and a nose for the ball. He has value as a 4-3 OLB and a 3-4 WILB, and should become a top contributor in coverage on special teams.

I mean, don't we desperately need cover LBs? Especially against the TE's in the league and Gronk over in NE? I get his size limits him here, but wouldn't it make more sense to adapt certain schemes to this ability if that's really where his strengths are?

COMPARISON John Timu

BOTTOM LINE

Sounds very similar (and almost same physical stats) to some guy named Shaq Thomson from the Panthers...

Been reading up on Milano and most of the pre draft scouting reports were pretty consistent both in describing his projected strengths/weaknesses and projection as a late round pick.

Here's one interesting read I found though about him being a potential sleeper pick:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/05/nfl-draft-late-round-udfa-sleepers?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Buffalo Bills: Matt Milano, LB, Boston College (Round 5, No. 163)

Buffalo was believed to be a possible landing spot for Haason Reddick or Reuben Foster in Round 1, so the linebackers the Bills took later deserve a little more attention by default. Milano (6' 0", 223) isn’t an elite athlete, but he reads the ball well and flies toward the action. Don’t be surprised if he’s picking up significant snaps as a rookie.

This.

I'm worried he'll get out-muscled in the run game. If I'm the Bengals, I run at him all day until he proves he can handle it...

@MatthewFairburn

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- On Sunday, Matt Milano is going to become the fourth rookie to start a game for the Buffalo Bills this season.

The fifth-round pick will fill in at weak-side linebacker after starter Ramon Humber suffered a thumb injury that required surgery.

When asked about Milano's readiness, Sean McDermott didn't hesitate.

"He's ready," McDermott said. "He's ready and he'll only get more and more ready as he puts the time in this week, just like our team. I thought he came in on a big stage last week and handled himself well for his first real, live game action. What's important is where we go from here. I think Matt clearly understands that and then it's important that we do things around Matt to help him as he continues to grow with his career at this point."

This is the role the Bills envisioned for Milano when they drafted him. Yes, they thought of him as a special teams player first. But McDermott also saw a player who could fit perfectly into his system.