Lee Smith: EJ Manuel didn't have what he has now

When did 6.2 yards an attempt, 106 yrds no touchdowns and a pick become good for a quarterback?

Because he was on target and threw great balls. Several dropped that would have been TD's. He completed his first 8.

The int was a clear "trust my athletic tall jamming/jumping WR to fight for and catch type of throw" that some little oompa DB somehow out jumped him.

Did you watch the game.? EJ played well.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he was on target and threw great balls. Several dropped that would have been TD's. He completed his first 8.

The int was a clear "trust my athletic tall jamming/jumping WR to fight for and catch type of throw" that some little oompa DB somehow out jumped him.

Did you watch the game.? EJ played well.

I agree. He played well. On the 2nd last drive when they had to settle for a FG, he threw three very good passes towards the end zone. Either they were dropped or alligator armed. Cooper didn't do him any favors.

All things considered, Manuel wasn't terrible as a rookie. And I do agree with Lee Smith in that he never should have played right away being forced into the starting lineup because Kevin Kolb was lost for the season in training camp.

Some will also argue we pulled the plug on him too early in 2014 as well even though we were 2-2 at the time before going to Orton.

But in the end, I still think Manuel is/was a huge bust where he was drafted and probably was more of a mid round prospect anyway. If he does go onto have success in Oakland or elsewhere though good for him.

I thought he did very good coming for Carr last week in a tough situation. He gave them a chance.

Agreed. People see the pick and dismiss him but missed the context of what really went down.

EJ starts 8/8 and has them in the redzone with a first down in position for a potential TD to make the 9 point game a 2 point game.

9th Att: Throws a TD pass to Cook in the end zone, Cooks drops the pass that hits him in both hands.

10th Att (2nd down): Throws an 11 yard pass for a first down, DROPPED again, right in the hands. I believe it was Cooper if I am not mistaken.

11th Att (3rd and 10 after 2 straight drops): Throws a perfect and gorgeous pass to Cook in the end zone again and he DROPS it again after hitting him in both hands.

Now he is 8/11 with no TD's but should be perfect on the day with a TD and it should be just a 2 point game. Instead, due to 3 straight drops that were great throws right on the money, Raiders MUST kick a FG to insure it becomes a 1 score game. They do and now its a 6 point deficit instead of 2.

Raiders hold and get the ball back with no timeouts. But instead of them just needed to get into FG range, they now have to score a TD and have no timeouts either. They need to move the ball down field. The INT had EJ throw a high point ball to what is supposed to be a big and Elite WR yet he's had a terrible year, and thats Cooper. Cooper makes both a poor effort to really get the ball or keep the ball from being intercepted and lets a much smaller DB out jump and muscle for the ball, resulting in game ending INT.

There are no excuses for EJ as a Bill...I always felt he didn't get a fair shake at times here, but when he got his opportunities he still didn't take advantage of them. However, he was actually excellent in fill in duty last week and the box score doesn't remotely tell the right story. The three passes that were dropped were great throws, clutch throws, and his teammates let him down.

Now none of that means he plays well for a game in a start for the Raiders by any means. Plus, I don't know how many weapons he's gonna have or not have with both Cooper and Crabtree banged up. But I am certainly looking forward to seeing how he does, always liked him as a person as he worked hard and was always a great teammate and had the right attitude.

I don't understand the hate for this young man on here. He must of kicked the crap out of a lot of people on here, stole money from them and slept with their wifes/girlfriends.

Just keep in mind coaching has a lot to do with things. Look at the defense this year compared to last year.

I'm not saying EJ should have stayed in Buffalo, but I do think a fresh start and better coaching can help a player. It's possible he's developed into a competent backup for Oakland. At this point I don't see him carrying the team but I think he can keep them in games.

Just my 2¢

I don't hate him. Seems like a nice guy, hard worker, etc. It was my biased opinion that he lost his job the day they signed Tyrod, having watched both of their careers through college. I'm sure I've had posts that people perceive as anti-EJ, but really I just find it funny that some go to measures of literally rewriting history to try to defend him sometimes.

Regardless of all that, I hope he plays well enough that Oakland is out of the wildcard race by the time Carr comes back.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

EJ haters gonna hate It is what it is.

Most of those trashing him probably didn't even see him play last Sunday. 8-8 is not that shabby coming in cold from the bench.

Yup and followed by 3 straight dropped passes right in the hands, 2 of which were TD strikes.

EJ seemed like a hard working, fantastic guy when he was here. I don't hate him and wanted him to succeed. Watching him over time, beyond any coaching, I felt like he couldn't handle the mental rigors and decision making of being an NFL QB. I firmly believe that.

One play he didn't recognize the blitz. Another he didn't recognize single coverage. Didn't recognize zone coverage. Another he didn't set his feet properly. It just seemed to rotate from one thing to another.

So any opponent that game plans to mess with him, will find success. Last week was unplanned, we'll see what Baltimore does.

I will happily eat crow if he proves me wrong.

I don't understand the hate for this young man on here. He must of kicked the crap out of a lot of people on here, stole money from them and slept with their wifes/girlfriends.

Just keep in mind coaching has a lot to do with things. Look at the defense this year compared to last year.

I'm not saying EJ should have stayed in Buffalo, but I do think a fresh start and better coaching can help a player. It's possible he's developed into a competent backup for Oakland. At this point I don't see him carrying the team but I think he can keep them in games.

Just my 2¢

Nice Post man, I agree with everything you said.

I wish EJ nothing but the best honestly. The guy was nothing but a professional with his tenure here.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Manuel lights it up this week against the Ravens in a home game.

Some Oakland fans will probably believe they have a legit QB controversy on their hands.

I predict there will be some of the usual suspects on this board who'd make a bigger deal out of it. The same ones who wanted him run out of town.

EJ can grow playing backup, and working on his game. I believe QBs hit their peak years in late 20s to mid 30s. That said, his ceiling is limited. He's best as backup until he's fixed his mechanics, decision making, and most importantly, mental aptitude and self-confidence.

This is why I so want Darnold. He is mentally tough, nothing phases him. I like that aspect of Tyrod too.

Have you seen the QBs in this league? Brandon Weeden was just signed

I was referring to Hackett. As to EJ, I have no issue with him being in the league as a back-up. Never thought he was a first rounder and the added pressure for him to be the guy since he was drafted in the first round was a death sentence seeing as he was a project if anything.

I thought so, too. He looked better than I'd ever seen him. Even his interception wasn't a bad throw - reasonably accurate, and he gave his receiver a good chance to make a play on the ball.

Has that thing landed yet? It floated like a dandelion seed.