Lee Smith: EJ Manuel didn't have what he has now

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Lee Smith tripped over the 2-yard line against Baltimore and cost EJ a TD pass... :lol:

Those are really the only two things I remember about him.

Who really cares what this stiff has to say? Of course he's going to support his teammate in public.

I don't understand the hate for this young man on here. He must of kicked the crap out of a lot of people on here, stole money from them and slept with their wifes/girlfriends.

Just keep in mind coaching has a lot to do with things. Look at the defense this year compared to last year.

I'm not saying EJ should have stayed in Buffalo, but I do think a fresh start and better coaching can help a player. It's possible he's developed into a competent backup for Oakland. At this point I don't see him carrying the team but I think he can keep them in games.

Just my 2¢

I don't understand the hate for this young man on here. He must of kicked the crap out of a lot of people on here, stole money from them and slept with their wifes/girlfriends.

Just keep in mind coaching has a lot to do with things. Look at the defense this year compared to last year.

I'm not saying EJ should have stayed in Buffalo, but I do think a fresh start and better coaching can help a player. It's possible he's developed into a competent backup for Oakland. At this point I don't see him carrying the team but I think he can keep them in games.

Just my 2¢

I find the animus off-putting. It's not like the young man forced the Bills to take him in the first round.

Former Bill Lee Smith (and current teamate of Manuel in Oakland) pumping him up now that he's starting again. I really hope he starts against the Bills.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000856954/article/raiders-te-ej-manuel-didnt-have-what-he-has-now?campaign=Twitter_atn

It would be an interesting storyline. For EJ's sake, I hope he lights it up as Carr's replacement in the next few games. I doubt that'll happen, but you never know.

We've seen Goff go from zero to hero, so sometimes you just need the correct set of people surrounding you to flourish.

The comment about the WR's in Oakland vs Buffalo by Smith is pretty inaccurate-we had Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods! Those two aren't exactly awful

edit: I don't think he's going to do well, but the chances of him improving are non-zero. w/e we'll see

Edited by berg1029

EJ Manuel is one of the worst qbs I have ever seen get significant playing time in the NFL. Give him what ever he wants, he will still be terrible. I hope he plays every game for Oakland

I'm guessing you're not old enough to remember Gary Marangi, Joe Dufek, Brian McClure or the great Dan Manucci. All started at least one game for the Bills (maybe that doesn't qualify as significant play time?). All were much worse.

Let's not forget Dennis Shaw who started for us for three years, barely completed half his passes and threw nearly twice as many picks at TDs.

C'mon man. EJ wasn't good here, but the Buffalo Bills - and the NFL in general - have put a lot of really untalented guys under center over the years.

I like the kid and hope he does better in Oakland than he did with us.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I thought so, too. He looked better than I'd ever seen him. Even his interception wasn't a bad throw - reasonably accurate, and he gave his receiver a good chance to make a play on the ball.

And as in the past, he totally missed the safety sitting right there ready to pick it off. It was so classic EJ and exactly what I had predicted!

Honestly, I watched. He did look good on Sunday.

He still shouldn't be here, but he looked capable for the Raiders.

If he wins someone from here should go over there, to Oakland's threads, and suggest he start over Carr.

The fact that he beat out Connor Cook, who we have been hearing about on this board since he was 7 years old, proves EJ has turned a corner. Or that Cook sucks. Or both.

I think he's on a 1 year deal, so I'd like to see him get a couple of good starts, then get a shot with Arizona next year.

He's a hard working, loyal, high character guy.

I like to see people like that succeed.