Bucky and Sully are drinking the happy juice...

eball

I broke down and subscribed to the "BN Blitz" primarily to read Carucci's and Kimberley Martin's breakdowns, but when I saw two headlines this morning I did what I don't normally do -- I read a Sullivan column and a Gleason column. Both of these guys were downright "giddy" and I have to admit, it was nice to see. Sully wrote a very complimentary and positive piece about Jerry Hughes, and Bucky did the same regarding Terry Pegula and the direction in which the Bills and Sabres appear to be headed.

Goes to show anything is possible...

I broke down and subscribed to the "BN Blitz" primarily to read Carucci's and Kimberley Martin's breakdowns, but when I saw two headlines this morning I did what I don't normally do -- I read a Sullivan column and a Gleason column. Both of these guys were downright "giddy" and I have to admit, it was nice to see. Sully wrote a very complimentary and positive piece about Jerry Hughes, and Bucky did the same regarding Terry Pegula and the direction in which the Bills and Sabres appear to be headed.

giphy.gif

Probably also helps the bills are winning and the sabres just signed Eichel so they aren't bitter for the moment.

Edited by The Wiz

What do you think so far about the subscription? Worth the $$$? Enough quality content?

New sports editor makes a difference already.

came in to say this

Barnett is like "listen you old curmudgeons, toe the new line or GTFO"

or, there is finally a regime in place in both franchises that value accountability and have a solid plan in place (regardless of how the rest of this season goes)

The Pegulas didn't just start caring about these teams yesterday. They've been trying to be good owners from the start but made mistakes. But that didn't stop the Sunshine Boys from roasting them on a spit anyway. Glad to see a little more balance at last.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Get rid of the old OBD trash and everyones happy, go figure. :)

I appreciate the new sports editor taking the time to come on the forum and ask for suggestions. Connecting with the fans is something the BN has been lacking for a LONG time. It's mostly been confrontational between the writers and the fanbase and that needs to change. It should be a more open dialogue. I feel bad that I am not able to comment in that thread and provide him with any other suggestions. Print news is a dying media and I get all of my info for free online. People my age have never and will never have a newspaper subscription. An online, ad driven news feed is their best option. Even Warren Buffett who has no clue about technology knows that newspapers are dying. Now that their articles require a subscription, I will no longer be able to read BN (no big loss) but I look forward to reading what is posted here on the forum in regards to their articles

I appreciate the new sports editor taking the time to come on the forum and ask for suggestions. Connecting with the fans is something the BN has been lacking for a LONG time. It's mostly been confrontational between the writers and the fanbase and that needs to change. It should be a more open dialogue. I feel bad that I am not able to comment in that thread and provide him with any other suggestions. Print news is a dying media and I get all of my info for free online. People my age have never and will never have a newspaper subscription. An online, ad driven news feed is their best option. Even Warren Buffett who has no clue about technology knows that newspapers are dying. Now that their articles require a subscription, I will no longer be able to read BN (no big loss) but I look forward to reading what is posted here on the forum in regards to their articles

This is true, however, the BN has remained viable and is one of the strongest newspapers in the country. So they are doing some correct things to change with the times (including the new Barnett ideas and dialogue).

it seems the model used by sports writing is (was?) good cop-bad cop. One or more stuck to writing on football, and someone else always tried to stir up controversy.

The Pegulas didn't just start caring about these teams yesterday. They've been trying to be good owners from the start but made mistakes. But that didn't stop the Sunshine Boys from roasting them on a spit anyway. Glad to see a little more balance at last.

The Pegulas have always cared.... but just caring shouldn't spare you from criticism. The Rex hire was the 2nd worst move this team has made in the drought years (after hiring Marv as GM) and it was their call on their watch. I like what they did this offseason, even though I was never in the Rico camp of hating Whaley. Once they had identified that McDermott was their guy they started planning to get to the end of the personnel season and then make a move to build a FO he was totally aligned with. That was smart and gives this team a chance to become a sustainable success.

Not saying the BN has always got the balance of its criticism right.... it hasn't. But just because Terry and Kim bought the team and kept it here does not give them a free pass.

Edited by GunnerBill

I completely agree. The Pegula bashing got intense way too fast. They aren't perfect, but they sure do care about the area and I wouldn't trade them for anyone.

What's the surprise? When you do well you get praised; when you do poorly you get criticized. What has contributed to the newspaper's tendency toward constant criticism by the mainstays is the lengthy futility of its two primary teams. No one can deny the paltry record. And no one can deny the constant shuffling and reshuffling of coaches and staff make it difficult for the jaded eyes to believe that the changes will alter the course of franchises.

A little early success by the new football regime that is not only preaching a new direction but is acting on it is a reason to be optimistic. I've never been a harsh critic of Sullivan like many others are because it has to be depressing covering the generationally lackluster pro franchises. After a while you understandably become cynical towards the respective organizations when witnessing the inevitable new shuffle and not really believing that there will be a different outcome.

It seems to me that what is different with the new football operation is that there is a plan and a direction. You don't have to agree with all the decisions but at least you understand why it is being done. When you add some quick success then the positive energy is going to spread, including to the people who are covering the teams.

What has contributed to the newspaper's tendency toward constant criticism by the mainstays is the lengthy futility of its two primary teams. .

Or the attitude of much of the BN's readership, that only knows how to bit*h and moan about virtually any subject--sports, politics, the weather, the damn kids on their lawn.

News outlets typically play to their readers' biases if they want to stay in business. It will be interesting to watch the evolution of the Bills Blitz or Sabres coverage if the W-L record starts to go south...

Or the attitude of much of the BN's readership, that only knows how to bit*h and moan about virtually any subject--sports, politics, the weather, the damn kids on their lawn.

News outlets typically play to their readers' biases if they want to stay in business. It will be interesting to watch the evolution of the Bills Blitz or Sabres coverage if the W-L record starts to go south...

Focusing on sports and staying within that realm how can the coverage be positive when the product has been dismal for so long? I see the tide turning with more positive optimistic stories as the successes materialize.

No doubt that news outlets typically play to their readers' inclinations but what is so surprising that a segment of fans are generally pessimistic over a team that not only has failed but has been ineptly run for more than a generation? If you want the dirty slate to be cleaned off then win more games.

The Pegulas have always cared.... but just caring shouldn't spare you from criticism. The Rex hire was the 2nd worst move this team has made in the drought years (after hiring Marv as GM) and it was their call on their watch. I like what they did this offseason, even though I was never in the Rico camp of hating Whaley. Once they had identified that McDermott was their guy they started planning to get to the end of the personnel season and then make a move to build a FO he was totally aligned with. That was smart and gives this team a chance to become a sustainable success.

Not saying the BN has always got the balance of its criticism right.... it hasn't. But just because Terry and Kim bought the team and kept it here does not give them a free pass.

The criticism coming out of TBN has been over the top for some time, by any measure. The relationship between the Pegula's, their teams, and TBN has been bad, and it goes back to their original purchase of the Sabres and Terry's attempt to reign in their negativity with a face to face meeting. It was not taken well and it spiraled down from there. Their reporters were quite literally frozen out by the previous Bills regime - no access. Not really better for the Sabres.

There definitely seems to be a thaw lately. Perhaps partially related to the new management with both teams, partially due to new management at TBN. The end result is we are seeing balanced reporting, reporters actually gaining access to team sources and players, and better overall product from TBN as a result. I hope it continues.

The criticism coming out of TBN has been over the top for some time, by any measure. The relationship between the Pegula's, their teams, and TBN has been bad, and it goes back to their original purchase of the Sabres and Terry's attempt to reign in their negativity with a face to face meeting. It was not taken well and it spiraled down from there. Their reporters were quite literally frozen out by the previous Bills regime - no access. Not really better for the Sabres.

There definitely seems to be a thaw lately. Perhaps partially related to the new management with both teams, partially due to new management at TBN. The end result is we are seeing balanced reporting, reporters actually gaining access to team sources and players, and better overall product from TBN as a result. I hope it continues.

This^^^^

The Pegulas are learning as anyone new to an endeavor will. Hopefully both teams are on the right path.

I think this has something to do with it.

Now that it's a pay service, they really have to pay attention to what the consumer wants. What they want is less blind scorn and condemnation, and a little more analysis.

Doesn't hurt we are 3-1, but we have had hot starts quite a few times and have still gotten the "wait for it" and "told you so" articles from Sully and Bucky. Heck, maybe they can regain some semblance of credibility.