Homemade Pizza Thread

BringBackFergy

F5

I made the no-knead pizza dough last night and it is currently rising. Gone make the San Marzano sauce this afternoon (thanks for pointing me to Walmart for the canned tomatoes) for pizzas tonight. Will tell you how it goes. I know you've been waiting. If I knew how to upload pics on here I'd do it.

Edited by BringBackFergy

I use these all the time. My favorite concoction is- thousand island base, mozzarella, bacon, and tomato, topped with arugula immediately after pulling out of the oven. Good stuff...

That sounds awesome.

F5

Made these last week. The crust was excellent...really good. My sauce tasted real good (just crushed the San Marzanos, added a little olive oil and a little salt. But my sauce was watery. Next time I may use some San Marzanos and two Tbsp of tomato paste to thicken it up a little. Really tasty though. I used fresh sliced mozzarella and some crumbled sausage from local butcher and just cheese on the other one. Highly recommend the 24 hour recipe.

So last night I bought one of those pizza crusts at Hannaford (not the Hannaford brand but the other one). I searched "chicago style pizza in cast iron skillet" and Food Network had a recipe. I put butter in bottom of cast iron, stretched dough out thin and brought it up the sides, pinched it in tight. Put sausage and pepperoni in bottom, then layered provolone and shredded mozz on top of meat. Then added own sauce, then sprinkled grated romano cheese and sprinkled oregano on top, and drizzled a little olive oil. Baked at 400 degrees for 30 minutes until crust on edge was browned.

Amazing!!! Really tasty.

WOW, that deep dish sounds awesome.

What is this 24 hour recipe? Watchyoo talkin bout Willis?

https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2015/01/05/best-pizza-youll-ever-make/ No knead dough/24 hour dough. Jauronimo linked it above. Came out great but mine didn't rise as well as I hoped...my kitchen was cool last week.

https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2015/01/05/best-pizza-youll-ever-make/ No knead dough/24 hour dough. Jauronimo linked it above. Came out great but mine didn't rise as well as I hoped...my kitchen was cool last week.

I made a pizza last weekend using the Beer dough from Hannaford (other brand - we really need to remember the brand name, lol!!). I think it's my favorite. The consistency of the crust when done was perfect.

I made a pizza last weekend using the Beer dough from Hannaford (other brand - we really need to remember the brand name, lol!!). I think it's my favorite. The consistency of the crust when done was perfect.

It really is a great dough...much better than the store brand. Try the deep dish thing when you have a chance. Nice change of pace.

It really is a great dough...much better than the store brand. Try the deep dish thing when you have a chance. Nice change of pace.

Way to ruin a good conversation.

Don't ever tell me what to do again.

Way to ruin a good conversation.

Don't ever tell me what to do again.

I invited you into my thread, my home, my sanctuary and you speak to me like that? Next thing you'll suggest is that I link only free content. Maybe I should rank the recipes best to worst so you have an easier time scrolling through?

• Haha (+1) 1

• 7 months later...

Completely frustrated with inconsistent and sub par results, I blamed it all on my tools rather than myself and recently invested in a baking steel.  I also bought a copy of The Pizza Bible (linked below).  Game changer. Turns out I was making a few critical mistakes.

https://www.amazon.com/Pizza-Bible-Neapolitan-Deep-Dish-Wood-Fired/dp/1607746050

Master Dough Recipe Can be Found Here for you cheapos (would you download a car?):

https://www.scribd.com/document/256940731/Tony-Gemignani-s-master-dough-with-starter

Lastly, I actually watched a few videos where experts handled and shaped dough, specifically this one.  This seemingly minor change in how to handle the dough has made an incredible difference, especially in handling higher hydration dough.  I have finally achieved a real NY style pie in the pizza wasteland that is Texas. 

If I can figure out a good way to do it, I'll add some pics of the garbage I've been making lately. 

Great video. I worked in a pizza joint in college and they had a automatic roller but it only went so thin. So we used to do some "pushing" as well. Never used a rolling pin though. Always amazes me how these guys can get a thin crust and never get a rip in the dough.

My wife sometimes makes pizza dough, but sometimes we buy pre-made crusts or french bread when it's on sale, and make our own pizza with that. We sometimes do the tomato sauce thing, and other times pesto.

A couple weeks ago we had a bonfire in the back yard and tried this dutch oven pizza:

http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2018/06/dutch-oven-cooking-french-bread-pizza.html

One problem with making pizza at home is your oven doesn't create heat high enough to get the job done correctly.

You can buy stones and cook the pizza directly on the stone...the stone retains and radiates heat and somewhat improves the problem of the "cold" oven.

Wood fired pizza ovens in Italy are like 800 or 900 degrees in the back, and a pizza goes in and comes out, fully cooked, in like 30 seconds.