NFL Insiders: How playoff legit are the Bills? 5-1 say yes

The Worldwide leader had been slow to jump on the Bills bandwagon so far, but....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20906643/2017-nfl-insiders-predict-week-5-upsets-fantasy-flops-buffalo-bills-los-angeles-rams-surprise-playoff-contenders-more

Which surprise 3-1 team are you buying as a legit contender for a playoff spot: Rams, Bills or neither?

Bowen: Buffalo. The Rams have generated more national hype due to the quick development of quarterback Jared Goff and the modern-day offense new head coach Sean McVay has installed in Los Angeles. But I like the Bills in this situation due to a much more favorable schedule and a defense that can close out games. Yes, I'm still buying the Patriots to win the AFC East, but the Bills can pair that defensive team speed with the play of Tyrod Taylor to stay in the mix for a wild-card spot.

Clay: Neither. The Rams have been impressive, but after facing the Colts, Redskins, 49ers and Cowboys defenses, I wonder how the offense will perform against an absurdly tough slate the rest of the way that includes the Jaguars, Giants, Texans, Vikings and Eagles in addition to the Seahawks and Cardinals twice each. The Bills are a fringe team, but it won't be easy fending off New England for the division or fellow wild-card contenders like the Raiders, Broncos, Texans, Titans and Ravens.

Foxworth: Buffalo. The Bills handed both the Falcons and the Broncos their only losses of this young season. Those are more impressive wins than the Rams beating the Colts, 49ers and Cowboys. The Rams' offensive improvement deserves the praise we've heaped on it. But, in my experience, a tough defense makes for a more reliable team. And that's what the Bills have. Tyrod Taylor and the Bills' offense have made the plays that they need to win, but they haven't been great. That's in part because they haven't been able to get LeSean McCoy on track. If they can figure out how to reignite that punishing and explosive running game from a year ago, the Bills will certainly be a viable contender at the end of the season.

Kimes: Buffalo. Both teams have a shot, but the Bills have a clearer path to the playoffs. They get to play the Dolphins twice as well as the Jets, Colts and Chargers. And they've found a recipe that works, with a super stout defense and an efficient, turnover-averse quarterback in Tyrod Taylor.

Sando: Buffalo. Mina's reasoning makes sense, and could be why ESPN's Analytics model puts the Bills' chances near 50 percent, with the Rams' closer to 30 percent. The Rams are a bigger surprise than the Bills, at least to me. My preseason projection had them starting 2-3 and then falling off the map, which probably is not going to happen now.

Seifert: Buffalo. A defense that is holding opponents to an NFL-low 13.5 points per game provides more cover ... and more long-term stability. The Rams' defense has been gashed for 26.3 points per game (28th in the NFL), putting their own offense in an unsustainable position.

50% chance at playoffs, wonder what that moves to if we beat Cinci.

If we beat Cincy, based off of team records right now, we should make the playoffs at 10-6. That's if we sweep the Dolphins, Jets, and beat the Colts and Chargers, and then get one more win out of the remaining games. I mean, New England is vulnerable right now, so we can definitely split with them.

If we beat Cincy, based off of team records right now, we should make the playoffs at 10-6. That's if we sweep the Dolphins, Jets, and beat the Colts and Chargers, and then get one more win out of the remaining games. I mean, New England is vulnerable right now, so we can definitely split with them.

10-6 feels doable but i am worried about injuries

I agree. While I am confident about the system and "trust the process", injuries will remain a significant wild card. Strangely enough, we come off wins against Denver and Atlanta - and are the underdogs to the 1-3 Cinci team:( possibly because of the injuries.

If we win on Sunday, I am pretty confident we would make the playoffs. Jets, Colts, Fish*2, and Chargers are all games that we should win easily. I also believe we would pull another win out of the rest of the schedule to make it 10 wins. I like our chances against the bucs coming off a bye, and the raiders aren't looking like world beaters, especially with EJ at the helm. Saints also look beatable, and we could at least split with the pats. Chiefs look like they would be extremely hard to beat though.

I agree. While I am confident about the system and "trust the process", injuries will remain a significant wild card. Strangely enough, we come off wins against Denver and Atlanta - and are the underdogs to the 1-3 Cinci team:( possibly because of the injuries.

Isn't is awesome that McDermott already has a motto? "Trust the Process". Bill Belichick has his: "Do your job".

Maybe our previous coaches would have been more successful if they came up with a motto.

Too early to worry about how this team will end up. Love what I'm seeing so far but I don't know that this offense is capable of playing catchup if they get down more than 10 points. I am hoping the offense can be more consistently good as the year progresses.

Love the intensity of defense, offense and ST.

Lots of things have fallen in place for the Bills to be 3-1 right now. They have definitely made their own good luck.

Just have to keep getting better.

Isn't is awesome that McDermott already has a motto? "Trust the Process". Bill Belichick has his: "Do your job".

Maybe our previous coaches would have been more successful if they came up with a motto.

Apparently, he didn't like "ALL IN".

If your form holds then I think it either has to be the Bucs or New Orleans...probably New Orleans.

Oh man, so am I.

Dick Jauron always lived up to his motto - "It's hard to win in the NFL"

Still way to early but the arrow is certainly trending upward.

I've said this before, but for me the magic number is 6-4.

If the bills have that record or better after 10 games they very well may be on their way to the playoffs because believe it or not they have not been 6-4 or better after 10 games since the first year of the playoff drought in 2000.

We have treat Cincy with just as much respect as Denv. & Atl. No trap game or looking ahead. Stick to the game plan.

I can't quite recall a trap game where the team trying not to fall into it was favored to lose.

Edited by Doc Brown

The Worldwide leader had been slow to jump on the Bills bandwagon so far, but....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20906643/2017-nfl-insiders-predict-week-5-upsets-fantasy-flops-buffalo-bills-los-angeles-rams-surprise-playoff-contenders-more

Which surprise 3-1 team are you buying as a legit contender for a playoff spot: Rams, Bills or neither?

Bowen: Buffalo. The Rams have generated more national hype due to the quick development of quarterback Jared Goff and the modern-day offense new head coach Sean McVay has installed in Los Angeles. But I like the Bills in this situation due to a much more favorable schedule and a defense that can close out games. Yes, I'm still buying the Patriots to win the AFC East, but the Bills can pair that defensive team speed with the play of Tyrod Taylor to stay in the mix for a wild-card spot.

Clay: Neither. The Rams have been impressive, but after facing the Colts, Redskins, 49ers and Cowboys defenses, I wonder how the offense will perform against an absurdly tough slate the rest of the way that includes the Jaguars, Giants, Texans, Vikings and Eagles in addition to the Seahawks and Cardinals twice each. The Bills are a fringe team, but it won't be easy fending off New England for the division or fellow wild-card contenders like the Raiders, Broncos, Texans, Titans and Ravens.

Foxworth: Buffalo. The Bills handed both the Falcons and the Broncos their only losses of this young season. Those are more impressive wins than the Rams beating the Colts, 49ers and Cowboys. The Rams' offensive improvement deserves the praise we've heaped on it. But, in my experience, a tough defense makes for a more reliable team. And that's what the Bills have. Tyrod Taylor and the Bills' offense have made the plays that they need to win, but they haven't been great. That's in part because they haven't been able to get LeSean McCoy on track. If they can figure out how to reignite that punishing and explosive running game from a year ago, the Bills will certainly be a viable contender at the end of the season.

Kimes: Buffalo. Both teams have a shot, but the Bills have a clearer path to the playoffs. They get to play the Dolphins twice as well as the Jets, Colts and Chargers. And they've found a recipe that works, with a super stout defense and an efficient, turnover-averse quarterback in Tyrod Taylor.

Sando: Buffalo. Mina's reasoning makes sense, and could be why ESPN's Analytics model puts the Bills' chances near 50 percent, with the Rams' closer to 30 percent. The Rams are a bigger surprise than the Bills, at least to me. My preseason projection had them starting 2-3 and then falling off the map, which probably is not going to happen now.

Seifert: Buffalo. A defense that is holding opponents to an NFL-low 13.5 points per game provides more cover ... and more long-term stability. The Rams' defense has been gashed for 26.3 points per game (28th in the NFL), putting their own offense in an unsustainable position.

Whose this Clay guy?

ef7e1a1c01584dfba1f19576e27819a5--ron-bu

Edited by Captain Murica

Or if they were actual worthy NFL head coaching candidates?