Why don't good LTs make good RTs

Watkins90

It seems to me that you should be able to interchange tackles. Dawkins played well on Sunday, so when Glenn comes back, why couldn't you throw him in at RT and expect him to be just as productive as he was Sunday?

Edited by Watkins90

Think of it like driving a car. You Americans drive left hand drives.... we British right hand drives. When you switch from one to the other it takes an adjustment period to learn to mirror your movements. That is what it is with Dion in my opinion. I think he can be a good RT and I expect the Bills to look at him there once Cordy is fully healthy. Long term I actually think Dion might play LG.

a guy that has muscle memory exploding in certain directions with specific movements to counteract a rusher moving to his outside (and sometimes inside) with the goal of sealing off a left side block is going to have trouble flipping sides and being asked to change his habits, adjust to a rusher driving to his right side now. It's different foot and hand work and you're also working along side a different lineman.

Speak of the devil: https://deadspin.com/how-smart-coaches-are-overcoming-the-nfls-offensive-iss-1818974095

a guy that has muscle memory exploding in certain directions with specific movements to counteract a rusher moving to his outside (and sometimes inside) with the goal of sealing off a left side block is going to have trouble flipping sides and being asked to change his habits, adjust to a rusher driving to his right side now. It's different foot and hand work and you're also working along side a different lineman.

Speak of the devil: https://deadspin.com/how-smart-coaches-are-overcoming-the-nfls-offensive-iss-1818974095

Basically this, though some guys can do it of course.

It doesn't help that all the XXXL sized athletic talent these days is funneled into the defensive side of the line.

Pass rushers have muscle memory and right hand or left hand dominant moves too, but the good ones can move all over the line....but they aren't giant fat stiffs who are lucky to be able to keep their body weight over their feet, as many O linemen these days are.

I saw one in a game on Sunday (can't remember who) who had like a 40 pound gut hanging out over his belt line.

Think of it like driving a car. You Americans drive left hand drives.... we British right hand drives. When you switch from one to the other it takes an adjustment period to learn to mirror your movements. That is what it is with Dion in my opinion. I think he can be a good RT and I expect the Bills to look at him there once Cordy is fully healthy. Long term I actually think Dion might play LG.

Nice analogy, GB.

Some players are suited to play swing tackles and some are not.

We used to have a good swing tackle they used as 6th lineman but when he was used as substitute for multiple games he was not as good for he could not stay healthy for that many snaps. Cannot remember his name.

It seems to me that you should be able to interchange tackles. Dawkins played well on Sunday, so when Glenn comes back, why couldn't you throw him in at RT and expect him to be just as productive as he was Sunday?

OK...why can't you throw left handed the same way you throw right handed? Why can't you kick right footed the same way you kick left footed? Why can't you bat left handed the same way you bat right handed? Same concept.