Andy Benoit: Should We Believe in the Buffalo Bills?

I'm still skeptical that it can net us better than a 10-6 record. I think that is our realistic ceiling for this year, we simply don't have the talent level and depth to match on sustained basis the best teams in the league. Next year's team will have more talent and as a result the play calling will adjust to the new infusion of talent this team will gain.

Agree, probably 9-10 wins is the ceiling this year. It's how we use those picks to improve us offensively and defensively.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benoit has always had pretty strong negative feelings about Taylor.

When his initial reads don’t show open, he quickly assumes a runner’s mentality

I feel like there's been pretty obvious progress here this year. Frankly, some of what he writes really makes me question his overall expertise.

Buffalo’s secondary has two potential studs: rookie corner Tre’Davious White (his short-area agility is tremendous) and former Packers safety Micah Hyde (he was outstanding in the win at Atlanta). But the rest of the all-new backfield consists of career-long fringe starters and backups: corners E.J. Gaines, Leonard Johnson and Shareece Wright, and safety Jordan Poyer. They’re playing well, but coaches will tell you that any plan that’s contingent on guys continuing to overachieve is unwise.

Is it just me, or does it seem like he hasn't really watched the secondary, much? If he had, you would think Poyer would be the stud over Hyde based on all of the first 4 games. At the very least, he should have included him. Same for Gaines, but to a lesser extent.​

Some experts believe Taylor's success is overblown and merely the product of the Bills defense being so stingy and keeping them in games.

And quite frankly, it's hard to argue this so far:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/10/6/16433928/buffalo-bills-qb-tyrod-taylor-rick-dennison-sean-mcdermott-interceptions-limitations-problems

In a recent article, Andy Benoit of Sports Illustrated’s MMQB, who describes himself as a “film nerd” in his Twitter profile, gives the Bills credit for their wins they’ve achieved thus far, but doesn’t seem to believe that the team’s success is sustainable because “they were achieved via stingy defense and an ultra-controlled offense.”

The second point of his argument is the one that Benoit is hanging his hat on, which more specifically refers to his issues with Taylor as a quarter. Spoiler: the MMQB writer has quite a few issues with Taylor.

“With Tyrod Taylor at quarterback, the Bills must run a limited, highly specified offense that carries a thin margin for error. To put it bluntly, there are parts of Taylor’s game they must hide. Taylor is not a progression-read pocket passer. His vision is iffy and he doesn’t anticipate throwing windows, which forces a play-caller to use simpler route combinations. Taylor relies heavily on his mobility. When his initial reads don’t show open, he quickly assumes a runner’s mentality, breaking himself down in the pocket regardless of the pass rush. Occasionally, he’ll do this even before an early read unfolds. Open receivers go untargeted every game.”

Yes you should or else you are disloyal and have double standards and are not allowed to like any other Quarterback (or any play they make) not name Rodgers or Brady.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: I think Benoit's criticism is overblown for what it is worth.

Edited by GunnerBill

Benoit has always had pretty strong negative feelings about Taylor.

When his initial reads don’t show open, he quickly assumes a runner’s mentality

I feel like there's been pretty obvious progress here this year. Frankly, some of what he writes really makes me question his overall expertise.

Buffalo’s secondary has two potential studs: rookie corner Tre’Davious White (his short-area agility is tremendous) and former Packers safety Micah Hyde (he was outstanding in the win at Atlanta). But the rest of the all-new backfield consists of career-long fringe starters and backups: corners E.J. Gaines, Leonard Johnson and Shareece Wright, and safety Jordan Poyer. They’re playing well, but coaches will tell you that any plan that’s contingent on guys continuing to overachieve is unwise.

Is it just me, or does it seem like he hasn't really watched the secondary, much? If he had, you would think Poyer would be the stud over Hyde based on all of the first 4 games. At the very least, he should have included him. Same for Gaines, but to a lesser extent.​

It's hard to get too in depth with every team when covering the entire league.

Benoit is good at breaking down film and explaining how/why certain plays worked. I've been following him for a while now and one of the first things that I noticed about the dude is he can be extremely critical. He'll at least admit when he's wrong, though. But, yeah, I don't think he just revealed some grand secret about Taylor. They have to customize the offense to his skill set which is the smart/only thing to do. Don't force the guy to play outside of the things he already does well.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I suppose OP would argue to put Peterman in? Consider this, as our offense has such a "thin margin for error", would we take out a QB with only 1 turnover in 4 games in favor of a rookie?

I would argue that, without a solid WR corps, Taylor is a better fit for the role right now as him mobility and ability to extend plays is essential. Taylor has many faults, no doubt, but we don't have a better option, and we are winning with very little talent in the skill groups short of Shady, and maybe Clay.

I just don't see a point in slamming Taylor right now. We are not going to make a switch anytime soon, and his ability to run for first downs and not turn the ball over compliment a dominant defense well.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I suppose OP would argue to put Peterman in? Consider this, as our offense has such a "thin margin for error", would we take out a QB with only 1 turnover in 4 games in favor of a rookie?

I would argue that, without a solid WR corps, Taylor is a better fit for the role right now as him mobility and ability to extend plays is essential. Taylor has many faults, no doubt, but we don't have a better option, and we are winning with very little talent in the skill groups short of Shady, and maybe Clay.

I just don't see a point in slamming Taylor right now. We are not going to make a switch anytime soon, and his ability to run for first downs and not turn the ball over compliment a dominant defense well.

For the record, at this time no longer believe we should make a QB change.

I'm not a Taylor fan and still don't believe he's the long term answer here in Buffalo but he's doing his best right now with limited weapons around him playing the 'Alex Smith' role for the Bills.

But again, does anybody truly believe he's going to be able to lead this team to wins in crucial games down the stretch? Especially when the defense struggles or has an off day? What happens when we are down 14 points or more because it's going to happen sooner than later even if the defense is sustainable.

I just think at the end of the day this offense is truly 'smoke and mirrors' so to speak and eventually opposing teams figure that out similar to what happened in 2008 with Trent Edwards and that piss poor excuse of an offense.

Benoit is good at breaking down film and explaining how/why certain plays worked. I've been following him for a while now and one of the first things that I noticed about the dude is he can be extremely critical. He'll at least admit when he's wrong, though. But, yeah, I don't think he just revealed some grand secret about Taylor. They have to customize the offense to his skill set which is the smart/only thing to do. Don't force the guy to play outside of the things he already does well.

The key is Taylor's athleticism is so good that it can often cover up for a lot of other things and he can make something out of nothing all by himself...

The Bills are wise to play to his strengths...him as a pocket passer is ugly.

For the record, at this time no longer believe we should make a QB change.

I'm not a Taylor fan and still don't believe he's the long term answer here in Buffalo but he's doing his best right now with limited weapons around him playing the 'Alex Smith' role for the Bills.

But again, does anybody truly believe he's going to be able to lead this team to wins in crucial games down the stretch? Especially when the defense struggles or has an off day? What happens when we are down 14 points or more because it's going to happen sooner than later even if the defense is sustainable.

I just think at the end of the day this offense is truly 'smoke and mirrors' so to speak and eventually opposing teams figure that out similar to what happened in 2008 with Trent Edwards and that piss poor excuse of an offense.

I agree that Taylor isn't the long term answer...but Taylor has put up an awful lot of points over the past 2 years...that often goes overlooked...it might not always be pretty but it has often times worked well.

The key is Taylor's athleticism is so good that it can often cover up for a lot of other things and he can make something out of nothing all by himself...

The Bills are wise to play to his strengths...him as a pocket passer is ugly.

I agree that Taylor isn't the long term answer...but Taylor has put up an awful lot of points over the past 2 years...that often goes overlooked...it might not always be pretty but it has often times worked well.

Some of his metrics have no doubt graded out well, but rarely has he been able to lead a team to victory when trailing both at home and on the road.

But again in his defense I think what will come back and haunt this team later in the season and possibly prevent us from getting to the playoffs is not having adequate weapons at the WR position for Taylor or anybody else to work with.

I get the 'process' but if Beane and McD truly believe they are making the playoffs this year there's no excuse to not make a move and upgrade the WR depth chart, even with Jordan Matthews healthy. The Chargers have several guys that could help us and other teams who aren't going anywhere this year could also have viable trade options.

And quite frankly, it's hard to argue this so far:

It depends how gullible you are.

Consider that Taylor is :

• 8th in QB rating (the NFL version, not ESPN's)
  • 13th in Completion percentage
  • 10th in yards per attempt

So, he completes a high percentage of throws, for a very good average per attempt, and he rarely makes mistakes. He's a playmaker, regularly delivering big-time passes and critical third downs. He's had a sub-par running attack and a receiver group among the worse in the league. And yet some people are gullible enough to believe all of this is some kind of illusion. It turns out ANYONE can have a top-ten quarterback rating, as long as the coaches bother to engineer the accomplishment - thru their effort, not the player's.

Kinda makes you wonder why more coaches don't perform this magical transubstantiation, doesn't it?

Edited by grb