Andy Benoit: Should We Believe in the Buffalo Bills?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the exact style Seattle utilized to win a Superbowl and multiple NFC titles. The whole this style hasn't been effective is in accurate. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, get all the press but Denver and Seattle have been involved in numerous superbowls the last 5 years. You could even put Carolina into that as well.

Too soon to tell. More data is needed. This style of play has produced wild card teams, but he's correct in that few have been serious contenders. Many comparisons just don't quite fit. The Chiefs for example have far more offensive firepower than the Bills do. And don't confuse " impossible " to sustain with unlikely. Takeaways can be fleeting and dry up for stretches at a time. The close to the vest offense will limit turnovers, but the lack of weapons limits opportunities. It stands to reason that the Offense will need to do more in the next few months to produce wins. It's just too soon to tell. Another road win in week 5 will bey key if the Bills are to punch their first playoff ticket since the millenium.

This is the exact style Seattle utilized to win a Superbowl and multiple NFC titles. The whole this style hasn't been effective is in accurate. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, get all the press but Denver and Seattle have been involved in numerous superbowls the last 5 years. You could even put Carolina into that as well.

Style is one thing. The SEA and DEN Super Bowl defenses had a lot more talent on them. No legion of boom here.

I was thinking earlier about which I would prefer. A Qb who had a 1 TD 0 INT game. Or one that had 2 TDs but 1-2 INTs. Normally I think I take the two TDs and try to weather the turnovers. With a good to great defense I think I take the 1-0 guy, which is Tyrod.

That's why I said in a different thread that he's ironically a great fit as we are constructed. Long sustained drives and no turnovers with an elite defense is a winning recipe.

Too soon to tell. More data is needed. This style of play has produced wild card teams, but he's correct in that few have been serious contenders. Many comparisons just don't quite fit. The Chiefs for example have far more offensive firepower than the Bills do. And don't confuse " impossible " to sustain with unlikely. Takeaways can be fleeting and dry up for stretches at a time. The close to the vest offense will limit turnovers, but the lack of weapons limits opportunities. It stands to reason that the Offense will need to do more in the next few months to produce wins. It's just too soon to tell. Another road win in week 5 will bey key if the Bills are to punch their first playoff ticket since the millenium.

Style is one thing. The SEA and DEN Super Bowl defenses had a lot more talent on them. No legion of boom here.

Not saying it is. However, top defense with ball control run heavy offense is what has won since forever. Even now. Talent and name recognition is one thing If Buffalo maintains have a top 5 defense its a mute point. Top 5 defense and a ball control offense that can make a handful of big plays is sustainable winning football. KC, Seattle, Denver, Carolina, all have been doing it for a few years now. Before the nicknames, No fly zone, Legion of Boom they were solid units.

Current scoring defense rankings:

Jets: 22

Carolina: 7

Denver: 9

Atlanta: 19

I think those defensive rankings line up pretty well with how well our offense has performed against them. Not great news for the next two games, especially considering the loss of JM, as Cinci is #5 and Tampa is #4.

After that the difficulty loosens up, except our two games at the end of the season against the #2 Dolphins.

Cincy can't score either though - this week could very well be the Carolina game in reverse - something like Bills win 11-6 behind Haushkamatic.

And the Dolphins are easily the worst scoring offense in the league right now, so I feel pretty good about winning low scoring games against them.

That's why I said in a different thread that he's ironically a great fit as we are constructed. Long sustained drives and no turnovers with an elite defense is a winning recipe.

He'd be an even better fit if we had some good WR targets for more bombs, which he's as good as any QB in the league at launching.

Edited by BobChalmers

Not saying it is. However, top defense with ball control run heavy offense is what has won since forever. Even now. Talent and name recognition is one thing If Buffalo maintains have a top 5 defense its a mute point. Top 5 defense and a ball control offense that can make a handful of big plays is sustainable winning football. KC, Seattle, Denver, Carolina, all have been doing it for a few years now. Before the nicknames, No fly zone, Legion of Boom they were solid units.

The Bills' defensive talent is leagues worse than that on Denver, Seattle, and Carolina. What's going on right now is nice, but I don't think it's sustainable. I hope i'm wrong, of course.

I believe that the offense will only grow throughout the season. WE have seen strides the last few weeks already. Once Shady is going and Taylor gets more confident with his new WR's they will be better. Look for a big jump after the Bye week. They just need to get though this week with this style of football.

Agreed. This is the defining game. Just hold the fort for one more week.

Cincy can't score either though - this week could very well be the Carolina game in reverse - something like Bills win 11-6 behind Haushkamatic.

And the Dolphins are easily the worst scoring offense in the league right now, so I feel pretty good about winning low scoring games against them.

He'd be an even better fit if we had some good WR targets for more bombs, which he's as good as any QB in the league at launching.

I wholeheartedly agree.

No.

Not unless the offense gets better and McDermott starts to trust them by ending his head-scratching (mostly conservative) game management decisions. (Kicking FG from the 1, three straight runs before trusting his kicker to make a 50+ yard FG.)

Not true at all. Those Seattle teams were extremely efficient on offense.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

I disagree with his point that the Bills lack a pass rusher. This was key strength pre-Rex. Granted the line heads aged and features new players in some spots but the Bills D line was able to consistently generate pressure with a 4-3 alignment.

I like reading Benoit's stuff but I also disagreed with his take on the pass rusher situation. Hughes has been lights out and Lawson is coming along. Yarborough provides solid depth. Plus, all but Mario Williams are still on the line that set franchise records in sacks in 2013 and 2014. I hope they start getting more production from Dareus soon, but yeah, I think they're alright with pass rushers.

I see Cincy as #3 scoring D and tampa as #16

Just checked NFL.com again and they say it's 4 and 5. I dunno.

Based on performances so far, I expect 3 wins there. But I'm not worried about this Defense handling anyone's offense outside of Brady. Good or bad on that side of the ball is one thing, but if we're as awful at moving the ball as we were against Carolina (against these two higher rated defenses) it's still going to be tough going. If Glenn comes back it will help.

I see Cincy as #3 scoring D and tampa as #16

Also, our offense is based on running the ball and we have faced 3 of the top 12 teams against the run (Denver, Carolina and Atl) \\

Cincy is lower on the run D side at #17 whereas tampa is #5

And after Tampa plays the Pats this week, their scoring defense should be even lower.