Are we sacrificing the run for the pass?

It occurs to me that the decline in rushing YPA and YPG under Dennison might be a tradeoff that the new coaching staff is willing to take in order to give Tyrod better reads and protections in the passing game. The "predictable" 2-3.5 yard runs into piles on first downs, while frustrating to watch as a fan, have the strategic benefit of opening up play action bootlegs on first downs later in the game, which Tyrod has been destroying defenses with. The play-action plays they've been using have more well-defined reads for Ty, and get him out of the crowded pocket (where he is not nearly as lethal - and frankly, can't see as well).

So I'm thinking that perhaps this is all by design - while I'm sure they'd love to be having more success in the running game, they're probably willing to trade the lower-percentage runs for the higher-percentage passing plays which extend drives. I haven't seen the stats, but it sure feels like we're seeing lengthier, clock-eating, more efficient drives this season and relying less on the big play to put up points.

Thoughts?

He still only had, what, 21 attempts? I think it's more of a game by game, quarterback by quarter, drive by drive decision. In the first game they were running well and it seemed like we ran a lot more. The last three, especially Carolina and Denver we just couldn't run at all, so I'm sure that had a good deal to do with that. Against the Falcons we were doing okay in the run game but we finally had some guy so open in the pass game and Tyrod was making plays. I still think the slow transformation to that old Bronco offense with a lot of rollouts and bootlegs changed the way the defense plays us so allowed the passing game to work a lot more efficiently.

It occurs to me that the decline in rushing YPA and YPG under Dennison might be a tradeoff that the new coaching staff is willing to take in order to give Tyrod better reads and protections in the passing game. The "predictable" 2-3.5 yard runs into piles on first downs, while frustrating to watch as a fan, have the strategic benefit of opening up play action bootlegs on first downs later in the game, which Tyrod has been destroying defenses with. The play-action plays they've been using have more well-defined reads for Ty, and get him out of the crowded pocket (where he is not nearly as lethal - and frankly, can't see as well).

So I'm thinking that perhaps this is all by design - while I'm sure they'd love to be having more success in the running game, they're probably willing to trade the lower-percentage runs for the higher-percentage passing plays which extend drives. I haven't seen the stats, but it sure feels like we're seeing lengthier, clock-eating, more efficient drives this season and relying less on the big play to put up points.

Thoughts?

This is an interesting observation. It could certainly have something to do with it. Hopefully Rico can continue to streamline the offense and get the running game back on track. I have been impressed with his ability to adapt. It sure seems like every time Richie pulls on a run we pick up at least 7.

Until Glenn comes back, I cant see this run game improving much.

We arent throwing much either. So the offense really is only working off the few good drives we run or get a nice throw downfield. No consistency on the run, will keep us punting if we start deep in our territory.

Edited by Ramza86

The Stretch zone takes some time. They are pulling some as well. The stretch set up the pass so well. As a defense you have to avoid creating a cut back for Mccoy So the back side defenders has to give some contain and then Taylor is open on the roll out to make a play. It looked better last week and that needs to continue this week.

I don't know. I would think that they could create play action plays simulating more successful run plays where they wouldn't have to "sacrifice." i think we just played 3 really good front 7s and then we were missing Cordy against the Falcons. A healthy OLine (especially arguably our best OLineman) and front 7s that aren't top of the league and it's a different result I think. The Jets have one of the best DLines, the Panthers have one of the best set of LBs, and the Broncos defense is very good at all levels. The thought has some merit it to it though I think.

Edited by Mark80

Right, let me put it another way - they're not running those shotgun delayed runs and pulls that Lynn/Roman used because, while they were incredibly successful, they didn't set up the play action rollout passes. Dennison's offense (like Shanny's, Kubiak's, etc.) is all about making the run blocking and pass blocking look identical, so that the defense can't key off of the block type.

Right, let me put it another way - they're not running those shotgun delayed runs and pulls that Lynn/Roman used because, while they were incredibly successful, they didn't set up the play action rollout passes. Dennison's offense (like Shanny's, Kubiak's, etc.) is all about making the run blocking and pass blocking look identical, so that the defense can't key off of the block type.

I love good posting like this,

thanks fellas :thumbsup:

I think the Oline is inconsistent. The Oline and opposing defense dictates what the Bills do. I watch KC and they seem to have a similar run design except Hunt has huge holes to run through. Even when Smith did the fake to Hunt and ran it in himself through a different hole, both Smith and hunt both walked into the end zone through different holes. I am sure Taylor would rather have an extra second or two to stay in the pocket to allow WR to run their routes. The Bills have made adjustments because of their Oline and it seems to be working. Hopefully they can do different variations of this to keep defenses guessing.