"Trap Games" DO NOT EXIST!!! Conclusive Proof

Big Turk

I keep seeing stuff about "trap games" and it drives me crazy because there is no such thing.

For the love of God can people stop talking about trap games? They DON'T EXIST!! It was conclusively proven in a comprehensive 25 year study done by Football Outsiders where they found teams win and lose "trap games" against inferior opponents at the same rate they win and lose any other game against similar opponents. In fact, they actually won slightly more "trap games" but not a statistically significant amount. "Trap Games" are officially dead. It sounds nice to say when you are justifying the 15-20% chance a good team has of losing to a bad team, but in the end its the same 15-20% chance a good team has of losing to ANY bad team they play. It has ZERO to do with it being a "trap game" or not.

http://www.footballo...2007-trap-games

Table 1: Winning Teams in Trap Games 1983-2006

All Traps Home Traps Road Traps

Win Pct. .820 .889 .747

W-L 389-85 217-27 172-58

Table 2: Winning Teams Non-Trap Games against Sub-.500 Teams, 1983-2006

All Games Home Games Road Games

Win Pct. .815 .880 .751

W-L 1,601-539-3 861-115-2 740-244-1

Let's put this whole "Trap game" nonsense to bed...now you know. Stop saying it. Please.

Well they might exist for teams like Denver or Atlanta, but they sure as hell don't exist for teams that haven't made the playoffs or won more than 9 games in a !@#$ing generation!!

Of all the ridiculous topics to suddenly be all over this board....

I keep seeing stuff about "trap games" and it drives me crazy because there is no such thing.

For the love of God can people stop talking about trap games? They DON'T EXIST!! It was conclusively proven in a comprehensive 25 year study done by Football Outsiders where they found teams win and lose "trap games" against inferior opponents at the same rate they win and lose any other game against similar opponents. In fact, they actually won slightly more "trap games" but not a statistically significant amount. "Trap Games" are officially dead. It sounds nice to say when you are justifying the 15-20% chance a good team has of losing to a bad team, but in the end its the same 15-20% chance a good team has of losing to ANY bad team they play. It has ZERO to do with it being a "trap game" or not.

http://www.footballo...2007-trap-games

Table 1: Winning Teams in Trap Games 1983-2006

All Traps Home Traps Road Traps

Win Pct. .820 .889 .747

W-L 389-85 217-27 172-58

Table 2: Winning Teams Non-Trap Games against Sub-.500 Teams, 1983-2006

All Games Home Games Road Games

Win Pct. .815 .880 .751

W-L 1,601-539-3 861-115-2 740-244-1

Let's put this whole "Trap game" nonsense to bed...now you know. Stop saying it. Please.

That study didn't prove that trap games don't exist. It proved that trap games by his definition don't exist. He defined them very widely in some areas - such that any over .500 team could have them, which is clearly nonsense, and very strangely in others - any game against a team below .500 when sandwiched between two games against teams over .500. Those definitions are pretty wacky.

By those definitions trap games don't exist, but those are strange definitions.

In any case, no team in Buffalo's situation could be feeling such unconditional confidence that they start to feel they could ignore anyone. It's a non-issue for this team.

That study didn't prove that trap games don't exist. It proved that trap games by his definition don't exist. He defined them very widely in some areas - such that any over .500 team could have them, which is clearly nonsense, and very strangely in others - any game against a team below .500 when sandwiched between two games against teams over .500. Those definitions are pretty wacky.

By those definitions trap games don't exist, but those are strange definitions.

In any case, no team in Buffalo's situation could be feeling such unconditional confidence that they start to feel they could ignore anyone. It's a non-issue for this team.

https://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/debunking-the-trap-game-and-letdown-game-myths/

Another study showing the same thing via different metrics. But I guess people will keep trying to narrow the metrics to such a ridiculous point so that it "proves" they exist somehow...

Well they might exist for teams like Denver or Atlanta, but they sure as hell don't exist for teams that haven't made the playoffs or won more than 9 games in a !@#$ing generation!!

Of all the ridiculous topics to suddenly be all over this board....

Thank you. You speak da troof

This study did a horrible job defining trap games and used too wide of a data set. Trap games are not meant to be studied imperically.

Teams on a high are capable of overlooking their opponent. It happens all the time, at nearly every level of sports. It's not very quantifiable, but I refuse to believe they don't exist.

I do agree that the term is over used, but for some upsets it feels like the perfect description for the situation.

This does not prove that "trap games" do not exist..... just that teams don't lose them any more regularly than they lose other games. To me a trap game simply means a game where a team is coming off a big win and is playing a team they are expected to beat. You don't have to lose a trap game for it to be a trap game.... if that makes sense.

There are many factors. Imo this past weekend they gained some national attention. They lost 2 starters in the process. Cinncy is better than their record indicates. On the road Vegas has them dogs for a reason. It is 100% a possible let down/ trap game. Now did Buffalo prepare any less vs Cincy than they did for Denver or ATL? Probably not, so its more a trap game for fans, ot taking the bengals lightly im sure the team is not.

In this case I am not so sure the Bengals are so "inferior" to the Bills but that seems to be the consensus among Bills fans. The Bengals have a coach who has made the playoffs 5 straight years before last year. They have lost some coaching talent but they are still dangerous on both sides of the ball. They are NOT the team on offense you saw in weeks 1 and 2.

This study did a horrible job defining trap games and used too wide of a data set. Trap games are not meant to be studied imperically.

Teams on a high are capable of overlooking their opponent. It happens all the time, at nearly every level of sports. It's not very quantifiable, but I refuse to believe they don't exist.

I do agree that the term is over used, but for some upsets it feels like the perfect description for the situation.

Or it just is the 19%-25% chance that they will lose coming true and has nothing to do with that.

Or it just is the 19%-25% chance that they will lose coming true and has nothing to do with that.

Yup. It's confirmation bias at work. People only notice the trap games when the favored team loses. When they win the 80% of the time they're supposed to no one mentions it. Trap games are for the fans, the players don't see it that way.

Here's the psychological 'trap' they could fall into, if the game isn't going their way:

Hey, we're 2 games over .500 we can afford a loss

We're banged up, a loss is not hard to explain

Our opponent is on the 1-3 ropes, at home, of course they'll play out of their minds to save their season

The worst one would be: we've been a bit lucky winning games against good teams and against expectations, our luck is just running out and we maybe aren't that good

It's not like they have a winning culture / pedigree to draw on (yet). This game might reveal who this team really is more than any so far this year